PDA

View Full Version : bow repair

Ford
06-07-2011, 08:48 AM
So I recently purchased a martin exile, and the trg system is tearing up my string, even though it is adjusted properly. The sts supressor rubber broke in less then 200 shots, and my leather grip pealed off. So I email martin, and they say take it to a local dealer and they will order the parts.
Here are my questions, will they replace my string? I expect them to replace the rubber, but I dont plan on using the sts after this anyway but I would love my wasted $20 back. And will they replace the trg with a regular slide if I request at no cost?
I really dont want to leave my bow but they make it sound like I have to, at the local dealer. Other then string replacement this stuff is simple to fix and shouldnt need my bow to be left at the dealer. Any thoughts? Comments or similar situations? Any other effective way to approach this? I didnt by my bow from the local dealer, I got it on ebay, and I feel bad putting my local shop in the middle of this crap storm.
I know martin is suppose to have great customer service, by I live on the east coast, and dont want to be without my bow for 2 weeks while they send parts that arent essential to normal function of the bow.

CarlosII
06-07-2011, 09:03 AM
since you bought the bow off ebay i'm guessing that it was a used bow. in that case Martin isn't obligated to offer any repairs. if it is a used bow off the internet i'd say Martin is going beyond their legal obligation to make it right for you.

just MHO.

HawgEnvy
06-07-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm sure they'll hook you up w parts,but I doubt the string is an option. Anything is possible though. I disassembled my Cheetah and it looked like the idler wheel was bent. I call CS and told them I bought the bow off craigslist used and what the problem was. They said I could send the part to them and they would send me a new one,or to have my dealer order one and they would send it at no cost. I took option "B". My dealer called yesterday. My part is in.

moral of the stoey: you won't know unless you call. Be professional and kind w/o attitude and I'm sure you'll get results. Good luck

Ford
06-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. Its a new bow from an ebay store, that was shipped directly from the factory. If it was used, I wouldnt be giving martin a hard time about it; and would expect to be paying out of pocket.
I hope they resolve these issues, I like my bow but to have this many problems after 1 month and a few hundred shots is discouraging.

Arrow Splitter
06-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the advice. Its a new bow from an ebay store, that was shipped directly from the factory. If it was used, I wouldnt be giving martin a hard time about it; and would expect to be paying out of pocket.
I hope they resolve these issues, I like my bow but to have this many problems after 1 month and a few hundred shots is discouraging.
I have full confidence that Martin will take care of all your problems, and you won't have to pay a cent.:cool: They are an excellent company, and their customer service is 5 star.:cool::cool:

A.S

Ford
06-10-2011, 05:39 AM
Went to my local martin dealer last night. Felt horrible about sticking them in the middle after not purchasing the bow through them. Although they admitted I got an excellent deal that they couldnt match. They were great by the way, chatted all things bow for nearly an hour. Neils archery in endicott ny, check them out if your local.
Anyway they convinced me to leave the bow for 2 weeks while they called and had parts shipped in. My string and cable had strands worn through and they advised me it was unsafe to shoot. May last another 25 shots, or 5 shots and come apart in my face. My face isnt pretty, but its the only one I've got, and would like to keep it.
Needless to say I have no bow for 2 weeks, and that is down right depressing. May actually have to spend quality time with the wife.........I hope she doesnt get to use to it.
So the dealer is going to push to get a regular cable slide setup, new string, and new rubber for sos. I'm scrapping the sos system for a different decelerator, anyone interested in sos? Once the new rubber comes it wil be as good as new, I will make you a deal $10 plus shipping.

wscywabbit
06-10-2011, 07:02 AM
since the SOS is bolted to the TRG, if they replace the TRG with the cable slide and rod, they'll have to send an STS, which isn't a bad thing either. As for no bow for a couple weeks, I feel for you... I feel for you even more for having to spend time with the wife lol ;)

Destroyer
06-10-2011, 04:29 PM
As for no bow for a couple weeks, I feel for you

Get a backup bow. ;)

Simple Life
06-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Get a backup bow. ;)

Great advice there:D

Ford
06-10-2011, 05:43 PM
hahaha my thoughts exactly! was on ebay this afternoon looking for a used setup, something a little cheaper, and maybe fit better to my short draw length. Slipping another bow in under the wifes radar will be difficult. Especially since I have a british lab on the way at the end of the month for waterfowl hunting. A new bow may push her over edge..........I guess I wont know until I try.....hahahhaha

Ford
06-22-2011, 04:21 PM
So after waiting 2 weeks for my string and cable to be replaced, from the trg ripping it apart, I called my local martin dealer to see if it was done. Went down to pick up it, martin sent them new strings and cable, and a new cable guard. Either martin or my dealer lost my old trg cable guard, and the sos system entirely. Not only would they not replace the rubber, but its missing completly. The guy at the dealer didnt deal with my bow and said he would ask the guy that did where my parts are on monday.
So I'm getting aggrevated by now, but I let this slide, so I pick my bow up off the counter and go to leave and the clerk stops me. And says wait a minute you have to pay. I say pay for what? He says "our time". They are charging me 50 dollars for their labor!! On a waranty repair of a bow that is 1 month old. I refused to pay and the clerk said he would talk to the owner and I should call tomorrow. I never wanted to put the shop in the middle of all this since I didnt buy it from them. But martin said I had to go through my local dealer.
Needless to say I'm furious. The sos cost me 30, and if I have to pay labor I'm 80 in the hole. I'm done with this bow, when this gets worked out I'm calling martin and leaving them a piece of my mind, I'm selling this bow, and I'm done with martin. Never again. Never.
Oh and by the way the dealer said all other bows he sells they dont charge the customer for warranty repairs. Thanks martin for an inferior product, riddled with defects, that is costing my right arm.

bfisher
06-22-2011, 04:26 PM
So after waiting 2 weeks for my string and cable to be replaced, from the trg ripping it apart, I called my local martin dealer to see if it was done. Went down to pick up it, martin sent them new strings and cable, and a new cable guard. Either martin or my dealer lost my old trg cable guard, and the sos system entirely. Not only would they not replace the rubber, but its missing completly. The guy at the dealer didnt deal with my bow and said he would ask the guy that did where my parts are on monday.
So I'm getting aggrevated by now, but I let this slide, so I pick my bow up off the counter and go to leave and the clerk stops me. And says wait a minute you have to pay. I say pay for what? He says "our time". They are charging me 50 dollars for their labor!! On a waranty repair of a bow that is 1 month old. I refused to pay and the clerk said he would talk to the owner and I should call tomorrow. I never wanted to put the shop in the middle of all this since I didnt buy it from them. But martin said I had to go through my local dealer.
Needless to say I'm furious. The sos cost me 30, and if I have to pay labor I'm 80 in the hole. I'm done with this bow, when this gets worked out I'm calling martin and leaving them a piece of my mind, I'm selling this bow, and I'm done with martin. Never again. Never.
Oh and by the way the dealer said all other bows he sells they dont charge the customer for warranty repairs. Thanks martin for an inferior product, riddled with defects, that is costing my right arm.

I can certainly understand your frustration, but did you understand what you were told at the dealer? If you had bought a bow from them they would not have charged you for the warranty work

Arrow Splitter
06-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Ok, from the top.
1.) Your dealer should not be charging you for all of that. That's the dealer who's at fault, not Martin. Just from what you said about them, I am not impressed.
2.) I would call Martin immediately, and explain the problem, and I know for a fact that they will take care of the whole thing.
3.) Martin's customer service is EXCELLENT. When you call, ask for Joel.
Finally, I'm sorry you got a less than great dealer. I wouldn't give up on Martin just yet. No, they aren't perfect, but no company is. Each has its problems.

A.S

Ford
06-22-2011, 05:21 PM
In my opinion a dealer is a dealer. If you wont do warranty repair work with out cost to the customer, and martin wont deal directly with me then that archery shop should not be a martin dealer. Dont sell a brand if you wont do the work to fix the issues with the brand you push. I didnt want the shop to take the hit, but I think they should bill martin for their time. Just my two cents.
I wouldnt have bought the bow from anyone if they said you will pay so much for the bow and 50 for repairs with in one month. If that was the case I would have spent more money up front for a better bow.

vermonter
06-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Make no mistake I am in Customer Service. I don't mean a call center either. I deal with clients face to face, email to email, and phone to phone. I always welcome the opportunity to be called on a mistake because my clients realize that I am human. They then see my action to rectify the situation and become life long clients.

This way of doing business becomes different in retail where I also have some experience. If you do business with a shop on a regular basis and show them some good faith they will usually go the extra mile. I myself just bought a martin bow at dicks and took it to a local dealer for setup. Before he started i made it clear that I was dead set against him giving his time for free.

After I had bought some arrows as well as a few other products ammo, a few fishing lures, some shoot n see targets, and an arrow puller he wanted to give me the labor on my bow setup at no cost. I paid his labor rate out of principle. I easily could have bought everything else at dicks as well but these shops need to make a living.

I am not against price shopping for big ticket items even if it means internet retail such as ebay. I also believe you have every right to service on that purchased product but your dealer or the manufacture should be responsible. I am willing to bet that you could have shipped your bow to Martin and had it back within those same two weeks good as new. If Charter Arms could do it with my .38spl Martin can do it with a bow.

I would urge you to deal directly with the manufacture and find a better shop. Hopefully this all works out in your favor and you have a successful upcoming hunting season.

Regards, Vermonter

Ford
06-22-2011, 05:53 PM
vermonter,
I agree. I had taken the bow to this shop to have them set up the peep, and do some tuning. I paid for their services without complaint. I had hoped to make a long lasting relationship with the shop, but I dont know now.
I asked martin what to do with the bow, and their only response was to take it to a dealer, not go direct, or send it to them. My hands have been tied from the start. I wish I could give my local shot more business, but there prices are full msrp, and you pay for set up on top of it. I'm happy to have a job in this economy, and cant throw money away for no reason. I cant justify spending hundreds more for the same product. Wish there was a better way....

Arrow Splitter
06-23-2011, 04:41 AM
Make no mistake I am in Customer Service. I don't mean a call center either. I deal with clients face to face, email to email, and phone to phone. I always welcome the opportunity to be called on a mistake because my clients realize that I am human. They then see my action to rectify the situation and become life long clients.

This way of doing business becomes different in retail where I also have some experience. If you do business with a shop on a regular basis and show them some good faith they will usually go the extra mile. I myself just bought a martin bow at dicks and took it to a local dealer for setup. Before he started i made it clear that I was dead set against him giving his time for free.

After I had bought some arrows as well as a few other products ammo, a few fishing lures, some shoot n see targets, and an arrow puller he wanted to give me the labor on my bow setup at no cost. I paid his labor rate out of principle. I easily could have bought everything else at dicks as well but these shops need to make a living.

I am not against price shopping for big ticket items even if it means internet retail such as ebay. I also believe you have every right to service on that purchased product but your dealer or the manufacture should be responsible. I am willing to bet that you could have shipped your bow to Martin and had it back within those same two weeks good as new. If Charter Arms could do it with my .38spl Martin can do it with a bow.

I would urge you to deal directly with the manufacture and find a better shop. Hopefully this all works out in your favor and you have a successful upcoming hunting season.

Regards, VermonterVermonter, you are right on. Martin has taken bows back often, and taken care of everything.

vermonter,
I agree. I had taken the bow to this shop to have them set up the peep, and do some tuning. I paid for their services without complaint. I had hoped to make a long lasting relationship with the shop, but I dont know now.
I asked martin what to do with the bow, and their only response was to take it to a dealer, not go direct, or send it to them. My hands have been tied from the start. I wish I could give my local shot more business, but there prices are full msrp, and you pay for set up on top of it. I'm happy to have a job in this economy, and cant throw money away for no reason. I cant justify spending hundreds more for the same product. Wish there was a better way....
Ford, have you called Martin and explained the current issue? I know you probably will still have to pay the $50, but I am pretty sure you won't have to pay for the SOS. Like I said before, if you do call, ask for Joel. I don't know who you talked to in the first place, but Martin has given a choice to others before; either send it to them, or bring it to a dealer.
I've said how great Martin's service is, but here's proof. My Dad(Hutch~n~Son Archery on here) had a 2007 Bengal. The limbs had to be replaced a couple times, but everything went well. Well, on the top limb of the second set, one of the layers of laminate started to peel up, just before hunting started. He had those limbs replaced, and got the bow back. Well, it turned out that the limbs weren't compatible since they were 2010 limbs. Obviously this was disappointing, especially with hunting season so close. Our dealer told him to call Martin. Dad called Martin, explained the situation to Joel, and I believe it was in the next week he was holding in his hands a brand new 2010 Bengal.
I hope everything works out for you.

A.S

Ford
06-23-2011, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. I've cooled off a little since last night, but am still pretty agitated about the whole thing. I'm hoping martin will make this right.
This forum in my opinion is the only saving grace of martin. I appreciate all your help and advice in this process.

Ford
06-23-2011, 09:09 AM
So the shop said they would discount the price to 30 for labor. And they still arent sure where all my parts are but he said "we can sort that when you pick it up".
I called martin, spoke to Joel, he said labor isnt covered in the waranty and he doesnt blame the shop for charging me labor. He is sending an sts stop to replace my sos. I'm still frustrated with the waranty process, and I'm not happy. But it looks like this is the way the cookie crumbles.
Keep your eyes open, if your in the market for an exile I will most likely be posting it for sale on here and or ebay. It will be the bare bow, I will leave the g5 peep on, it has a housing and tubing, the kisser button and d loop on. String and cable of course are brand new, I will not be shooting the bow when I pick it up tonight. If they still have the trg and sos with out the rubber I will include this, and the old string and cable if you can salvage one or the other. Martin replaced the trg with a regular cable guard. The bow has maybe 200-300 shots through it, of course that isnt on the new string or cables. The only marks on it, are some in the grip area where I casted it to make a custom grip, and scuffed a few places on the side of the grip. The leather has been removed that comes from the factory on the grip. I would like around 330, we can work out shipping. pm me if your interested. If we work out an acceptable deal I will also ship the sts that is on its way to my house to you for free.