PDA

View Full Version : draw weight vs. arrow speed

Unregistered
01-10-2007, 02:58 PM
I just purchased a new Bengal and I am in the process of setting it up: Shooting a 28" draw length, 437.5 gr. arrow, and pulling 63#. This rig gets me 244 fps. Can anyone tell me....For each additional pound of draw weight I add, what increase will I see in arrow speed? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Elk4me
01-11-2007, 02:43 AM
Maybe 2-3fps if that!:eek:Your shooting about 6.9444444 GPP of bow weight unless you go lighter and more weight I wouldnt expect too much. I am 28" on a Pantera and 385 gr arrow and only gettin around 265 FPS thats what sucks about us shorter DL archers. You have to remember IBO speeds are with a 5GR per pound of boweight and 30"DL at 70# that makes 310 fps, remember string leaches , peeps , peep tubbing and string acessories effect bow speed! Speed isnt everything trust me a fast miss is still a miss. I would be more concerned with a quiet , forgiving bow that a speed demon! I know I use to shoot anther brand not to mention any name but it was the fastest production bow made that yr in 2003 a BlackKnight2. Speed kills ,but ............accuracy and quietness and forgivness is alot better !You have bought a awsome bow dont under estimate the Bengal !

eelriver
01-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Maybe 2-3fps if that!:eek:Your shooting about 6.9444444 GPP of bow weight unless you go lighter and more weight I wouldnt expect too much. I am 28" on a Pantera and 385 gr arrow and only gettin around 265 FPS thats what sucks about us shorter DL archers. You have to remember IBO speeds are with a 5GR per pound of boweight and 30"DL at 70# that makes 310 fps, remember string leaches , peeps , peep tubbing and string acessories effect bow speed! Speed isnt everything trust me a fast miss is still a miss. I would be more concerned with a quiet , forgiving bow that a speed demon! I know I use to shoot anther brand not to mention any name but it was the fastest production bow made that yr in 2003 a BlackKnight2. Speed kills ,but ............accuracy and quietness and forgivness is alot better !You have bought a awsome bow dont under estimate the Bengal !

Great answer: All quite true. I'm not planning on making any changes I'm just trying to understand the "science" of the whole thing. Totally agree, my new Bengal is an awesome bow. I went in to buy a Mathews and came out with the Bengal, saving $300.00 in the process. Bow is very smooth, forgiving, quiet, and I'm getting KE of 57.85 so I know I've got plenty of bow