PDA

View Full Version : Questions On Setting My String/Cables To Length

MLN1963
06-09-2011, 02:27 PM
After I got my bow back from Martin I made some measurements and they A2A and Brace were not what was listed on the website. I only did this after reading about a couple Onzas that were off. Skip ahead to yesterday.

I measured my string and it was 55 3/4" the listed length is 55 1/4". I measured the cables and they were both long too and I can't remember but they were each about a 1/4" long. Arrow Splitter gave me some pointers like do one thing at a time and away I went.

I twisted the string up about 15 twists to get it to 55 1/4" and reinstalled it. That string didn't like that many twists but that may be because about 60 percent of the string is wrapped in serving and the short section that isn't is getting most of the twists. The cables measured out properly at 36 7/8" each.

So here is where I am at. Brace height 7", A2A 32 1/4" which is 1/4" too long. Fully seated my max pull weight is about 57-58 pounds on my 60 pound bow. I assume I should be closer to 62-63 pounds like it was before.

What is next, twist up the cables?

Arrow Splitter
06-09-2011, 03:09 PM
:cool:
After I got my bow back from Martin I made some measurements and they A2A and Brace were not what was listed on the website. I only did this after reading about a couple Onzas that were off. Skip ahead to yesterday.

I measured my string and it was 55 3/4" the listed length is 55 1/4". I measured the cables and they were both long too and I can't remember but they were each about a 1/4" long. Arrow Splitter gave me some pointers like do one thing at a time and away I went.

I twisted the string up about 15 twists to get it to 55 1/4" and reinstalled it. That string didn't like that many twists but that may be because about 60 percent of the string is wrapped in serving and the short section that isn't is getting most of the twists. The cables measured out properly at 36 7/8" each.

So here is where I am at. Brace height 7", A2A 32 1/4" which is 1/4" too long. Fully seated my max pull weight is about 57-58 pounds on my 60 pound bow. I assume I should be closer to 62-63 pounds like it was before.

What is next, twist up the cables?
Congratulations, you answered your own question.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-09-2011, 03:20 PM
MLN, http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/images/smilies/noidea.gif
Once you have your string to the correct length the string is done.
We move on to the cables. Twist the cables to bring your A2A within specs.
Don't worry about the exact length of the cables.
A2A is more important.
Then make sure A2A and BH are correct.
Then DW should be 62lbs.
Then shoot the bow.

Hutch:cool:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Here is a way to look at it MLN.
1. The string is set at a certain length, for power stroke and so all the draw length adjustments are correct. If the string is way off those draw lengths would not be accurate. Also cam rotation and let off would be incorrect.

2. The cables are for the pre-load on the limbs. They are adjustable to put the correct pre-load on the limbs. Not every limb is the same so cables are twisted to get everything correct. (example: 2010 Bengal A2A is suppose to be 32 1/4. Mine is a 1/8" difference put everything is correct Dw, DL, let off. A2A is off only by a little. But every limb is different. I have had some perfect in every-way.

Not every company sets all their strings and cables to exact specs. Some just make sure that bow is at the right A2A, BH and some don't.

MLN1963
06-10-2011, 07:58 AM
I added 5 twists and then another 2. I'm a pretty consistent 62 pounds with an occasional 63 in the mix. Now I will need to address timing. I think it is off a bit from eyeballing it while using the scale. I'll check final poundage after timing and adjust from there.

I found some parts last night and will try building a draw board sometime this weekend. I really need to get this thing done because I need to shoot it and set it up. I'm going on vacation soon and my Bowtech shooting brother wants me to bring my bow.

I must say that there seems to be no pride in craftsmanship at Martin. Why would a bow that went in for repair come out worse than it went in? Yes, the replaced parts but the state of tune was way off. Is there no quality assurance when a bow comes out of the repair shop?

MLN1963
06-10-2011, 10:16 AM
One other question. I have brought the poundage up by shortening the cables and noticed the brace as increased a bit. How do I bring that back down to 7 inches?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-10-2011, 12:39 PM
One other question. I have brought the poundage up by shortening the cables and noticed the brace as increased a bit. How do I bring that back down to 7 inches?
How much is a bit?

Twisting the string will bring the cams in a little. But if the BH is off by a 1/8 or less I wouldn't loose sleep.

Destroyer
06-10-2011, 04:36 PM
One other question. I have brought the poundage up by shortening the cables and noticed the brace as increased a bit.

So I take it you wound the string up too or did you just do the cables?

How do I bring that back down to 7 inches?

Only way is to take twists out of the string but this will increase draw length. Increasing the draw weight by twisting up the cables increases the BH but it doesn't matter, you won't be loosing any speed.