PDA

View Full Version : Onza 3 problem. Advise needed

readeth
06-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Hey all. I've got an Onza 3 and when I'm pulling the string back it sounds like there is a creak sound (like you stepped on an old wooden board) coming from what appears to be the bottom cam. i've oiled it and still there. just wondering if anyone has the same problem and what they did to fix it.

thanks in advance!!!

Speedykills
06-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Might be a loose module,i would check all screws and tighten if needed.

readeth
06-11-2011, 09:53 AM
tried that. nodda... there isnt' anything loose at all... it's really weird. i cannot for the life of me figure it out

boobowbender
06-11-2011, 10:01 AM
does it happen everytime you draw? i noticed my cat doing once in a while after i messed with strings. but usually just once then it would stop. i think things were just settling in

readeth
06-11-2011, 10:10 AM
yes, every time I draw.

droppixel
06-11-2011, 10:42 AM
you checked the TRG/SOS connection? I had a creak going on it my Cheetah and thought it was coming from the pockets and it turned out to be the cable rod was a little loose. Just a thought.

readeth
06-11-2011, 01:17 PM
i will check that. positive it's coming from the cam but can never be too safe.. love shooting the onza but the little problems are making me think twice about it. it's chewing up strings pretty good. the cams are cutting the serving as well... :(

Destroyer
06-11-2011, 04:05 PM
it's chewing up strings pretty good. the cams are cutting the serving as well... :(

Don't like the sound of that. Slowly draw the bow and have someone listen to bow in different places. If the strings are rubbing the side of the module/cam somewhere it could make that noise I guess. It might be coming from the limb pockets, an alignment problem. There is something definitely wrong anyway.

And do a search too, there have been some good posts about bow noise here.

Simple Life
06-11-2011, 04:43 PM
the cams are cutting the serving as well... :(

Check the cams for burrs and tracking problems.Here is a link to MLN problems with serving being cut.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?9589-Nitro-2.0-Cam-Draw-Module-Misalignment-Cutting-The-Cable-Serving

boobowbender
06-11-2011, 06:09 PM
my serving was being cut too, not as bad as MLN, but that all stopped when i switched back to a regular cable slide. the trg was actually pulling harder on my cables than a reg slide. that was causing all sorts of problems, much smoother now!
call martin cs and see if they will send you a rod and slide and a sts. its worth the time and if you don't like it put the trg/sos back on

readeth
06-12-2011, 02:50 AM
interesting read simple life... i too spoke with customer support regarding the cable wear at the trg and the people i talked to at customer support stated they had never heard of such things but that if my dealer called they would send parts...

i've already had the string reserved once after about 500 shots and it's starting to look ragged again. between the strings and the noise coming from the bow on draw i'm thinking about going back to my trusty old bengal. had it shooting 300fps and never gave me an ounce of problems thus the reason i kept going with martin.

one more trip to the bow store to try and get this fixed and then if it doesn't work i probably will not have another Martin

Simple Life
06-12-2011, 03:23 AM
interesting read simple life... i too spoke with customer support regarding the cable wear at the trg and the people i talked to at customer support stated they had never heard of such things but that if my dealer called they would send parts...

i've already had the string reserved once after about 500 shots and it's starting to look ragged again. between the strings and the noise coming from the bow on draw i'm thinking about going back to my trusty old bengal. had it shooting 300fps and never gave me an ounce of problems thus the reason i kept going with martin.

one more trip to the bow store to try and get this fixed and then if it doesn't work i probably will not have another Martin

I have talked to them too and a certain employee said the same thing about hearing of no such problems with the TRG,but too have my shop call them.Hopefully you will get fixed up,Martin is really good once you get them convinced there is a problem.

readeth
06-12-2011, 04:25 AM
I"m going to let my dealer deal with them. I was not happy with the lack of communication I got from dealing with customer service... I have read it is good but was not impressed. We will see. Hoping to get the bow over within the next few days so will update my progress.

Ehunter
06-13-2011, 01:57 AM
It sounds to me like the string is making the noise at it draws around the module. If the mod isn't in good alignment, it'll cause the noise you are talking about, as well as the wear to the serving. Might check the mod to cam fit, and make sure the grooves are lined up with each other. Also check the ends of the mods for any burrs or edges that are sharp.

Ford
06-13-2011, 04:55 AM
Martin told me the exact same thing. They had never heard of anyone else having trouble with the trg wearing out the string and cable, but if I take it to a local dealer they would replace the parts needed.
uhhhh dont piss on my back and tell me its raining.......... honesty goes a long way.

"Tell me its a poor design and we would be happy to fix it for you, sorry for any inconvenience, we are human, we all make mistakes."
Dont lie to me......

Spiker
06-13-2011, 06:16 AM
May also want to be sure that the rotocup/limb is greased and that the pin in the riser that aligns the rotocup is pressed in all the way.
Have you tried backing the limb bolts out a few turns - shooting the bow - and then tightening them back to where they were? Or just turn them out a turn and see if it makes any difference.

wscywabbit
06-13-2011, 06:29 AM
when I was setting my bow up, I pressed it to twist the cables, and then let it back down. When I drew back, it creaked like you said and I checked it out thouroghly. The cams were fine, and I was scratching my head until I realized that the down cable (runs outside the TRG) had slipped into the inside channel with the up cable... evidently the slack was enough to let it dip below the edge and then it came back up into the wrong spot. Luckily I found it after only drawing it once!

readeth
06-13-2011, 06:31 AM
ford: well said!!! thats the hardest part to take is the fact that they told me they have never heard of it. before i got on this forum i took their word at face value.. it's pretty obvious that whoever i was writing to knew the difference..

spiker. i will try loosening it off a bit and try your suggestion.. thank you!!

shoots martin
06-13-2011, 10:58 AM
They told me the same thing, but they did send me new rod, and string slide. It works much better then the tr-gunk. Now my grip and side stickers are coming off, again they sent me new grip. The point is they never said, we are having a problem, send the bow back and we will make it right. It cost me $25 to have string installed, and $5 for new cat whiskers, and new loop installed. Martin is shooting their self in the foot very badly. I won't buy another Martin period, which is to bad, because that's all I've owned.

Ford
06-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Did you have a martin dealer order the parts or did they deal directly with you? I dont plan on paying 25 dollars to have my string put on, when it is a problem with their product. My dealer can send them the bill, cause I wont pay it. The shop has my bow for 2 weeks anyway, if they are going to charge me I would have sent it right to martin instead of the local dealer.

shoots martin
06-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Ford; I talked with Martin customer service direct, and they sent me the parts. I wanted the new string, rod, slide installed correctly, so I paid a dealer to install for me. I didn't deal with my closest Martin dealer, because they told me the trg set up was going to eat strings like crazy, stupid me still bought a Martin. I can't believe Ryan Martin doesn't read this site, and step up to the plate.

MLN1963
06-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Ford; I talked with Martin customer service direct, and they sent me the parts. I wanted the new string, rod, slide installed correctly, so I paid a dealer to install for me. I didn't deal with my closest Martin dealer, because they told me the trg set up was going to eat strings like crazy, stupid me still bought a Martin. I can't believe Ryan Martin doesn't read this site, and step up to the plate.

I spoke with Ryan on the phone. He is convinced they have it under control. I think maybe us with problems are a small percentage but I know if it was my company I would want a much smaller percentage than we are seeing.

Can you ask your dealer how much cable twisting it took to get the cable slide in tune. The TRG places the cables much further to the right than the cable slide.

wick
06-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Wasn't this thread originally about noise comming from a cam? I know there has been a lot of people with issues with the TRG, but I too have developed a clicking noise comming from my idler wheel that started after I put it in a press to adjust the angle on my TRG. Can hear this noise the instant that i put pressure on the string, right where the axel of the idler connects to the limb. you really got to focus on the noise because it resonates throughout the limb. I know the thread got side tracked but I would like to know if any one has any more thoughts about the noise.

Destroyer
06-13-2011, 09:27 PM
you really got to focus on the noise because it resonates throughout the limb.

The strings make it difficult too, acts like a musical instrument. I have one bow the does a similar thing, but my noise is from the cable rubbing the side of the module. Gives me the sh**ts!

Buggles
06-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Hi,
Mine made a noise as well. I found it to be the limb bolts. Back them all the way out and grease everything, particularly the countersunk part of the bolt. Worked a treat for me.
Cheers,
Craig

Ford
06-14-2011, 04:48 AM
Sorry guys didnt mean to highjack the thread

MLN1963
I dont know how much twist it will take in the cable. My bow is still at the shop, to my knowledge they called yesterday to order the parts. I'm looking at around 2 week turn around time if I'm lucky. I can ask the dealer if I remember in a few weeks.

MLN1963
06-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Ford

I thought you had it done already. If you can remember to ask him that would be great I have a rod and slide and I may switch to it some day if I give up on the TRG. I still think the TRG holds merit and want to see how see works out. I may even do a home made TRG/cable slide combo like someone here has done as that may be the best of both worlds.