PDA

View Full Version : Firecat Draw length and sight pin change

Ben Better
06-11-2011, 06:07 PM
I just wanted to check with the firecat TR1 owners on this , but it would apply to all models I guess. I am doing my summer tinkering with the bow and changed from loop to direct string release. Got 20 and 30 yd pins sighted in, still breaking the string in, I decided after about 100 shots over a week to add a module to increase draw length 1 inch. thats changing from F5 to the F6 module. My thoughts would be that if that was all that was changed, I might shoot high. Wrong! today it was nec to use the 30 yd pin to hit at 20 yds. I guess I thought longer draw = more speed= higher shot? I can adjust the pins to the new lenght I just found it odd. What did I miss guys?

MLN1963
06-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Maybe that is too much draw for you and it is affecting your shots/anchor?

Money Man
06-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Are you using the same anchor point? It seems to me that adding an inch DL, you would need to adjust your sight or peep if you are using one.

Destroyer
06-11-2011, 07:14 PM
I can adjust the pins to the new length

Always re sight in after a major adjustment like that. Because you have lengthened your draw length so much then its natural that you will have to adjust them. Check other important settings like nocking point and your peep as Money Man said.

Also make sure the draw length suits you, make sure your not leaning back too much. This will alter your sight plane as well.

Ben Better
06-12-2011, 02:41 PM
All 3 that responded, I agree with you.
However when I removed my D loop and now secure the release jaws (Gator Jaw release), directly to the string that is 3/4 to 1 inch there I lost and would have to adjust to the difference somehow. I have before, and now, had a solid stop at full draw. I suppose I could have adjusted the stop to get the difference and more let off but I understand that will subtract some arrow speed with more let off.

Anyway it's time to try new things, I was mainly puzzled that my shots were lower @ 20 yards with more draw. When you crank the limbs up to full poundage your shots fly higher than lower poundage. I just thought the same would apply to draw length. It may be as money man said and be in the peep/ sight line and I am aiming low?

Destroyer
06-12-2011, 03:31 PM
It may be as money man said and be in the peep/ sight line and I am aiming low?

Could be. With the longer draw length you have a longer sighting plane. The peep is closer to your eye so maybe you need to raise it a bit?

Ben Better
06-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks Destroyer, I think I'll try that first. It is closer to my eye I did notice that.