PDA

View Full Version : what grips do you prefer? Opinions?

HawgEnvy
06-11-2011, 08:44 PM
just out of curiousity, do you prefer the VEM grips or would you like wood grips(sideplates) better? I used a friends scroll saw and spindle sander to get my DIY grips cut out and shaped. So far they're looking pretty good. When I get the riser back, I'll be able to fine tune the fit. They're being made of red oak and I'm thinking of staining the wood to match the strings. I'm also undecided as to whether I want to do them bolt on style or with adhesive.

thoughts and opinions welcome,guys. If these turn out well, I'm considering offering up a few sets for sale to fund another Cheetah(2010).

Speedykills
06-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I like wood myself unless its a pse bow then rubber fat grips are tops.i wouldnt glue them on i would use a small screw and nut.

Destroyer
06-11-2011, 11:04 PM
My preference is for metal only but it depends on the result. I've always shot my Martins well with the rubber grip. Wood looks nicer though.

Ford
06-12-2011, 10:54 AM
The grip on my martin exile peeled off after 300 shots. Any idea how?
I just took a cast of my grip the other day, filled that with plaster, and over the next few weeks I will hopefully add and shape the cast with more plaster to fit my hand better. Then vacuform some black poly pro over that. Maybe a chicago screw or something to hold it together. I've thought of making a thicker grip in the back to extend my draw length a little and pick up some speed. My draw is 25" and my bow shoots at a snails pace. It will shorten my brace height, but we will see.
Any thoughts or opinions?

HawgEnvy
06-12-2011, 12:13 PM
honestly, I don't know how peoples grips are coming loose. I had to run a razor around the edge an pry it up w a small screwdriver while cutting the adhesive away from the riser. It to a little over 1/2 hr to get it off.

idk if plaster will last long for a grip. Seems like it would deteriorate pretty quick. I could be wrong,though. It wouldn't be the first time.

I think some double sided tape would work,rubber cement, or 3M contact adhesive. I've used the 3M stuff to hold limbsavers on and it hold very good and stays pliable.

Arrow Splitter
06-12-2011, 01:53 PM
honestly, I don't know how peoples grips are coming loose. I had to run a razor around the edge an pry it up w a small screwdriver while cutting the adhesive away from the riser. It to a little over 1/2 hr to get it off.

idk if plaster will last long for a grip. Seems like it would deteriorate pretty quick. I could be wrong,though. It wouldn't be the first time.

I think some double sided tape would work,rubber cement, or 3M contact adhesive. I've used the 3M stuff to hold limbsavers on and it hold very good and stays pliable.
I think Martin used the wrong adhesive on the 2011 bows, which is why the grips come off.

A.S

Simple Life
06-12-2011, 02:11 PM
I think Martin used the wrong adhesive on the 2011 bows, which is why the grips come off.

A.S

I think Martin used alot of the wrong things on the 2011's:rolleyes:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-12-2011, 02:12 PM
I am not particular about grips. I rarely grip the bow shooting. But if I would say anything about grips the smaller the better.

Hutch:cool:

Simple Life
06-12-2011, 02:15 PM
I used to like a big grip,but with the Bear and Firecat slimmer grips,I enjoy them more,just feel better in the hand.

Destroyer
06-12-2011, 03:39 PM
I think Martin used alot of the wrong things on the 2011's:rolleyes:

;) Some good things though.

,I enjoy them more,just feel better in the hand.

Yep, just not sure if slimmer/smaller means less torque. Been thinking about this lately.

HawgEnvy
06-12-2011, 05:17 PM
I just did ALOT of sanding by hand on a 1/2" piece for left side of the grip. It's contoured to fit my hand and looks real nice. The right side, I'm using a 1/4" piece as an inlay w a slight contour for my thumb. The edges of both side pieces will b sanded flush to the riser as much as possible to give the appearance that the grip and riser is one piece. If it turns out like it is in my mind, it will be a very nice,comfy grip. I plan on using a colored stain to match the grip and strings.

I don't grip the bow at all when shooting. My goal w these grips is to provide a consistent,natural resting position for my hand

Ford
06-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Hawgenvy
my grip wont be made out of plaster. I use plaster as a mold or "copy" of the grip. Then build a grip on that mold, thermoform plastic and fillers, pop it off the mold polish and onto the bow. No damage the bows grip. Alows me to have a perfect fit to the existing grip. Thats the idea at least. I use the same process at work to design and build orthotic devices for people. Hoping the process will transfer to the grip. Wait and see.....

HawgEnvy
06-12-2011, 06:56 PM
oh, I gotcha now, Ford. I re-read yor post. I overlooked the thermoplastic part. My bad. It does sound workable. Interested in seeing that when it's done