PDA

View Full Version : New bow?

Ford
06-14-2011, 05:06 AM
Thoughts and opinions welcome.
I need a little advice. Bought my first bow, a martin exile, found out I have the arms of a midget apparently, I'm 5'9" and a comfortable draw length is 25". So not having known that I bought an exile. Its super slow because of my draw length, otherwise it would be perfect. At 25 inches, and 60lbs I'm getting 230 fps with a 350gr arrow. Otherwise great bow, issues with trg and sos but I've ranted about that in other posts and am not going there now. Anyway martin will hopefully be replacing my string, cable guard and post, and possibly sos. When I get the bow back it will be practically new. Before it went for repairs I only put 300 shots through it. So the riser and limbs have 300 shots but nothing else.
My question is, should I try and sell the exile and get a leopard? Is my exile worth anything near what I paid, or will I take a major hit on it? Best place to sell it, here or ebay? What do you guys think is a fair price?
I'm thinking of the leopard because I would max out its dimensions and get every bit of fps out of it I could. I'm even thinking of a 2008-2010 leopard, save some money and avoid the trg and sos. And I'm not opposed to a used leopard.

Destroyer
06-14-2011, 06:07 AM
I'm thinking of the leopard because I would max out its dimensions and get every bit of fps out of it I could.

Very difficult to know that without actually testing. You would need to know what the actual tested speed for the leopard is, otherwise you might end up loosing speed over your exile. Maybe $$ as well. And going to an older bow means older limbs....... ;)

The specs for the leopard state 50# 26" 250 grain arrow and gets up to 287 fps? So depending on efficiencies, you will loose say 10 fps on the draw length, at least 20 fps on the 100 grain increase in arrow weight (probably more) and if the speed rating is the usual 'cough cough' so you could take off 20 fps off that and gives a total of 50 fps below quoted max speed or around 237 fps. All guess work though.

To get more speed, you need to go higher poundage like 70# or get something with hybrids.

MLN1963
06-14-2011, 06:21 AM
The Crossfire has the same riser as the Exile and Leopard if I recall correctly. If you really want the speed you might be better off buying the parts needed like cams, cables strings and such to convert your bow to a Crossfire.

Plan B might be to look at the Bowtech Heartbreaker which is an Assassin with short draw cams on it. It seems that the guys on AT were meeting or exceeding expectations with it.

wscywabbit
06-14-2011, 06:43 AM
If you're having an issue with the speed of your bow, why would you go to the leopard? You're not going to gain any speed from it; they're gonna be pretty much the same. Your better bet would be to upgrade to the Silencer. :)

Ford
06-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I will look into both solutions. With the leopard I would strip the string, no peep, plan on using an eliminator pro sight, get ride of peep and kisser. Plan on shooting a 300gr arrow with 60lb limbs on the leopard if I did it. And use a t handle style release, maybe pick up an inch of draw length to my ancor with it. So I think I could match pretty well the IBO of whatever they used to get the set up of that bow, but then like you said there is IBO speed and there is reality, and they never seem to match.
I've thoguht about a cam switch, need to look at it further. I just dont want to get 400 in the exile, and 400 into parts when I could have bought the bow tech or a pse vendetta xs and get the speed I'm looking for.
Please keep in mind I'm by no means a speed freak, but 230fps pulling 61-62lbs is depressing. My father use to shoot a 25 year old dinosaur and got 220 with his bow.
All other thoughts and opinions are still welcome, thanks to those who have answered. I'm a compulisve tinkerer if that is word.

HawgEnvy
06-14-2011, 08:06 AM
if it interests you, there was a set of cat cams in AT classifieds for $40. I keep going back and forth between keeping the Mpro or swaping to dual cams on my Cheetah. But other than having something unique, there doesn't seem to be much of a benefit.

Money Man
06-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Where did you buy the bow? At a shop or off the internet? If you bought it from a shop, I would go to the shop and explain that you were set-up with a bow that does not meet your expectations. Possibly they would make a good deal for you to swap to another bow. Even better would be if they had a chrono and allowed you to see if another bow would get you to the speeds you are seeking. Unfortunately you are not going to get service like that from the internet.
I feel very fortunate for the dealer I have near me. My string broke a couple months ago, and I did not buy the bow from him, but my buddy did, so I took it back to him since he has done all the work on it. He told me he would not charge me to put the new string on, or to set it up for me because he sold the bow originally and he stands behind all the bows he sells. This is why the only bows he carries are Martin. I know I am lucky to have a great dealer like this, but there must be others out there who are just as good. Hope you can find one. Good Luck.

Ford
06-14-2011, 08:35 AM
I may take a look at the cat cams.

I bought the bow from an online store. Got a great deal that the local martin dealer even admitted he couldnt match. Didnt expect him to because has to cover overhead and the store, and I dont fault him for that. But it comes down to inexperience and not knowing any better. I now now to try things out first. Live and learn.

Destroyer
06-14-2011, 03:58 PM
but 230fps pulling 61-62lbs is depressing

My brother is shooting 200 fps and doesn't bother him. And then think of the trad shooters..... ;)

Speedykills
06-14-2011, 04:56 PM
It really doesn't matter what bow you buy at a 25"dl your not going to get near a Ibo speed.And most bows will drop off dramatical with a short DL.So really in my opinion your just waisting your money looking for speed.
I would keep your current bow and try using the lightest arrows you can,use blazer vanes,go to a 75grn broad head.
Also go with some good aftermarket strings,use the lightest tubeless peep you can find and put nothing on your string but peep and d-loop.With the aftermarket string set you can pick up a little speed too.
I think trying this out will be the most cost effective than trying to buy another bow.

Scott
06-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Get a Rytera Seeker 365 and forget about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENQcfdNBBgM

Brace heigth meens nothing on this bow, it changes with your draw length.