PDA

View Full Version : Looking for fletching recommendations.

NeilMac
06-14-2011, 09:46 AM
I shoot off my fingers and only in field or 3D competitions.

For a long time I have been using 2.25 Quick Spin fletchings very successfully. Unfortunately they are becoming harder to find and very expensive here in the UK, so I am looking for an alternative.

I have tried Blazers and they were OK, although they did tend to come off the arrow shaft rather easily.

I shoot a ShadowCat, at close to 300fps, have a 30.5" DL, use lightspeed shafts cut to 30" with 80 grain points. Typical competition distances are out to 60 yards with the occasional 80 yarder.

So, what would you recommend?

bigredhunter00
06-14-2011, 03:08 PM
www.starrflight.com

Destroyer
06-14-2011, 03:47 PM
I don't think there really is a bad vane on the market

Might have to dissagree there Sonny, the AAE 2010 Max Hunter with its stupid 'ribs' is the worse vane I've ever shot. I hate them so much............. :D

I'm with you on the blazers, no problem getting them to stick if the shaft is prepared correctly, good vane.

NeilMac, if you really like the Quick Spin's, why not buy in bulk from the US? If I only purchased locally, I wouldn't be able to afford anything good. Have you tried feathers?

cyclepath
06-15-2011, 09:50 AM
You didn't mention what arrow rest you are using. This could make a difference as far as your choices for vanes or whatever you want to shoot out of your bow.

EnglishKev
06-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Hey Neil,

I bought some quickspins for our mutual friend the 'CrabbeMeister' last year from Lancaster Archery supplies.
By the time I paid shipping, there was not a lot of difference in the costs.
Perhaps you'll have to join me shooting feathers:cool: LoL

Kev

Destroyer
06-20-2011, 03:42 PM
D, I've used 4" AAEs for years and can't fault them.

Same here until that ribbed vane. Its just terrible!

bfisher
06-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Sorry, but I'm still a feathers guy. I used feathers when I first started shooting 40 years ago. Then vanes hit the market and they became my fletch of choice for hunting and small ones for field shooting. About 1990 I gravitated back to feathers and am of the opinion you just can't beat them for forgiveness and control of broadheads. I'm not a big fan a drop away rests, although I've used lot of them. I still prefer a shoot through rest like a Star Hunter or a blade rest for 3D. Although a lot of guys use vanes I still feel that with feathers you can use any rest you desire without clearance issues. And since I don't hunt any more it doesn't matter about them getting wet.

gravedigger
06-20-2011, 04:14 PM
here is a link Money Man hookd me up with.its a good read.http://archeryreport.com/2009/10/fletching-review-speed-drop/

RLW
06-20-2011, 07:07 PM
.........I've used 4" AAEs for years and can't fault them..........
I also used AAE for many years, but was really disappointed earlier this year when I puchased some more and found they changed. Much stiffer and much heavier (the latter being my biggest issue). Tried contacting AAE about this hoping it was maybe a bad batch?? but never got thru or received replies to emails.

Changed to Flex-Fletch FFP360 using a heavy helical and very happy with the change. They have a good target vanes also.

Destroyer
06-21-2011, 12:07 AM
was really disappointed earlier this year when I puchased some more and found they changed.

Only time I'm really happy with the shops here is getting my hands on old stock, gets round the 'change for whatever reason' problem. I wish they wouldn't change period, they could just add a new model. :(

NeilMac
06-21-2011, 05:15 AM
Sorry for the late reply, but I went to check the forum and ........

Thanks for all the replies.

I have looked at buying QuickSpins in bulk from the US, but as Kev said, by the time you add shipping and the occasional 'catch' for VAT, it is clear the retailers over here are not making a killing.

I have just ordered some new shafts, so I will try the Blazers again, using the tip of putting two in the jig and I will also try some feathers. I have no preference for any make or type of fletching, I am just
after the most consistent groups at longer ranges, as that's where the competition can be won or lost.

Destroyer
06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
the occasional 'catch' for VAT

You pay tax on imported purchases? :mad: We don't here if its under $1000.

NeilMac
06-21-2011, 09:22 PM
VAT is now 20% and if the authorities think the value stated is too little, they will charge you 20% of what they think it's worth, and then on top of all that you will then get charged a handling fee by the carrier or Postal Service.

Small packages tend to get through, I even had some parts for my Buell motorbike get through, other times, especially with bows, you'll get a letter :mad: