PDA

View Full Version : Brand New To This sight and to Martin......

vermonter
06-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Hello,
As my user name implies I am from Vermont. I have just purchased a dicks "Bone Hunter" which I am now learning is a Martin Cheetah. I am happy that I got a ready to shoot Bow for $300. I am even happier to find out that it is actually basically the same bow as a popular model. I am not concerned with the fact that it is from 09 because it is replacing a 10 year old PSE compound therefore anything is an upgrade.
i
The Bow is going to my favorite local store for setup as I do not trust the guys at Dicks to tell a bow from a hole in the ground (please advise if you know differently). I basically wanted to introduce myself here and open myself to any advice etc that can be given. I plan to hunt Deer and the occasional VT black bear. I have bear on my property in Vermont and while it is safe for a bow or a firearm shot neighbors I am sure would prefer the bow.

Thanks and Happy Shooting, Vermonter

Arrow Splitter
06-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Welcome to the Martin Tech Forum vermonter!! You have an excellent bow, and no, I don't trust Dick's either. Stick around here, and you'll learn anything you need/want to know about Martin Archery.

A.S

Speedykills
06-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Welcome...............:)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Welcome Neighbor!

Hutch:cool:

vermonter
06-21-2011, 06:49 PM
You say neighbor... What neck of the woods might I find you in?

Arrow Splitter
06-22-2011, 03:33 AM
We are in Gilmanton, New Hampshire.:cool:

A.S

HawgEnvy
06-22-2011, 05:40 AM
welcome to the forum and a sweet shootin bow. Your assessment of Dick's "pro's" (as well as most other box store pro's) is spot on. We LOVE bow pics! Hutch is slackin. He usually asks first.

cjchasman
06-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Welcome vermonter...Lots of great info on this sight and a couple of good guys w/ opinions; just a couple. lol ;)

vermonter
06-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Wow you are all friendly. It is good to hear about the north east connection and this forum. I will gladly post some pics as soon as I am all set up. My appointment with Marts Sporting Goods in Poultney VT is today at 4 so shortly after that I suppose. I plan on making a purchase from him of some sort or another as well as paying for his time to set up the bow correctly. Hopefully my arrows should still work as my draw length has not changed.

Regards, Vermonter

bfisher
06-22-2011, 09:45 AM
These guys know to behave themselves or I'll be hammering them with an iron fist. Right guys? LOL!!! Seriously, it's just a nice bunch of people on here and I enjoy being of service for them. You're as welcome as any of them. Join the party.

gravedigger
06-22-2011, 09:58 AM
welcom to the martin tech forum.good to have another martin shooter on board.

vermonter
06-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Well.....
If anyone is ever in Poultney VT and looking for sporting goods look no further. Marts Sporting Goods is the spot to stop. It is nice to find a gem of a shop within 45 min of home. Vermont is not the easiest place to find anything especially an experienced bow expert. He had all good to say about Martin and was willing to set up the bow for me even though I purchased it elsewhere. I needed new arrows so he was going to only charge me for them. I insisted on paying him for his time and he obliged after persistence on my part.

He adjusted the following things from the stock "ready to hunt package"
Re aligned the rest
Lowered the peep sight just a hair
Shortened Draw length
Set Draw weight to 68lbs according to his scale (stated that with the change in draw length the bow was maxed out there)
Cut a dozen arrows
The bow draws very smooth with my current release and with the let off I feel like I can hold it back forever.

Rage 100 GR 3Blade
Gold Tip Arrow
Martin Bone Hunter
Cobra Release

vermonter
06-22-2011, 02:41 PM
That is the Bear that terrorizes my property here in Killington VT. Hopefully this bow will be his end:)

gravedigger
06-22-2011, 02:55 PM
you got a nice looking bow.glad to here you found a good shop guy.stick around long enough and you wont need to have shop guy for long.lol.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport020.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Yup I would think that bow would be his end. Nice looking bow. Should make hunting season very interesting.

Hutch:cool:

Arrow Splitter
06-22-2011, 03:05 PM
you got a nice looking bow.glad to here you found a good shop guy.stick around long enough and you wont need to have shop guy for long.lol.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport020.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)X2 GD is right. With some trial and error you will be your own pro shop.:cool:

vermonter
06-22-2011, 03:50 PM
It is funny you all mention that. I rarely pay someone else to do something that my own tools and hands could do for me. I have been known to work on alot of my own gear. I was even a professional ski and boot tech for a wile. Quality of work and common sense does not escape me so I feel like I could work on a bow if I got the chance.

I fear I may be looking for another woman if I expand my workshop (aka our third bedroom and my office) much further. Then again a bow vice may be in order.

droppixel
06-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Nice lookin' bow there! I shoot and '08 - you are gonna love it. One thing I can say is if you can learn how to do all the things that your shop did for you, you will enjoy it that much more. Ton of good stuff here that will show you the way. If you can't find it. Ask and they shall come!

I started with mine being super green to tuning/set-up etc. Was shooting an old spare Cheetah my dad had and didn't have to do anything with it. Learned how to get everything set up, tuned, etc. Best thing I could have ever done because it has helped me understand how the bow is shooting and if anything starts to go "off", I know how to fix it.

Keep us posted on that bear!

vermonter
06-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Anyone know of a good starter bow repair manual etc? One specific to Martin would be cool.

gravedigger
06-22-2011, 06:21 PM
i dont know if this will paste or not,but i will try http://archeryhistory.com/archerytalk/The_Nuts&Bolts_of_Archery.pdf .its all you should need to tune your bow.hope it helps.and here are specs from 2009 http://www.martinarchery.com/2011/2010_older_specs.php

vermonter
06-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Wow now that is a tool and a half. I only read the index and already I am impressed. I will print that tomorrow and begin reading. I can't thank you enough.

gravedigger
06-22-2011, 06:36 PM
you are very welcom.i started out as a new bow hunter last year with my 2010 bengal and found this forum.i was thinkg since i shoot it i might as well try and learn as much as i can about my bow.everyone here has helped me a ton and with out making me fell stupid for asking the small questions.infact it was a member who sent me the nutz and bolts and it has been a good read.im happy to help when i can

cjchasman
06-23-2011, 03:42 AM
V...great lookin' bow but I have a question...What is the purpose of the cable slide orientation. I have it basically reversed on my bows w/ it facing closed side to arrow. Gentlemen and ladies...any input??? String cables appear to be on the wrong side of the rod.

cj
:confused:

bfisher
06-23-2011, 04:01 AM
V...great lookin' bow but I have a question...What is the purpose of the cable slide orientation. I have it basically reversed on my bows w/ it facing closed side to arrow. Gentlemen and ladies...any input??? String cables appear to be on the wrong side of the rod.

cj
:confused:

The position of the cable slide in the pictures is correct. If yours is on the outside of the rod then it is most likely wrong, giving much more clearance then needed. Best way to find out is to nock an arrow and view it from the back. Look to see if your fletching will clear the cables. If it appears that it will then you are good. Having the slide on the outside usually gives more clearance than necessary and just puts more of a side load on the cables, with the result being undue torque and twisting of the limbs. This creates more cam lean (limb twist) and can lead to premature failure of the limbs.

cjchasman
06-23-2011, 04:26 AM
bfisher, Thanks: your input made me go back and look at pics (not home w/ my bows at this time) and you are certainly correct. My bows are all set the same as pictured. I guess what got me going is the cable slide difference. Mine do not have the slots for the cable exposed to the arrow (inside), but are covered by a portion of the slide. The cables are inside the rod (to the arrow side), I was mistaken. The slide looked different to me because I am used to seeing the enclosed type. Thanks again and vermonter, I hope I didn't get you troubled for nothing. :)

vermonter
06-23-2011, 09:59 AM
You both had me scared there for a second. We will see tonight when I shoot longer ranges than 20 yards. If the arrows follow the pins I will be a happy camper.

Arrow Splitter
06-23-2011, 10:06 AM
You both had me scared there for a second. We will see tonight when I shoot longer ranges than 20 yards. If the arrows follow the pins I will be a happy camper.Just think, pretty soon you'll be shooting 100 yards!:cool:

HawgEnvy
06-23-2011, 12:22 PM
hey, if you need help w that bear, I can bring my Cheetah up to chase it down. Lol. You have a nice set-up. The only thing I'd be worried about is your choice of broadhead goin after the bear. I'd hate to see that bruin get pissed and chase you down. Fixed blades are ALWAYS open! Something to consider,IMO

gravedigger
06-23-2011, 01:35 PM
and a nice heavy arrow to stick it with

Simple Life
06-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Nice bow vermonter and welcome to the forum.

SL

vermonter
06-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Not the bear I mean the bow. I am grouping consistently high but consistently is a good thing I believe. I adjusted the sights to shoot lower by what I thought would be enough and it did improve things. Again I am shooting consistent groups. Before I really tweak sights I want to shoot more arrows and shoot with someone else.

As for the bear he is on my property so I will be carrying a sidearm. Hopefully that will cover any unpleasant situations.

Regards, Vermonter

HawgEnvy
06-23-2011, 07:30 PM
being a new bow, your string will stretch a bit as it's getting boken in. If you notice your groups start moving, it may not be you. You'll most likely have to keep making fine adjustments til your string settles.

Irish Sitka
06-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Vermonter,
I shoot a Cheetah myself and could not be happier.
Tuned it myself through trial and error and have it driving tacks now.
Enjoy.

bigredhunter00
06-27-2011, 09:27 AM
These guys know to behave themselves or I'll be hammering them with an iron fist. Right guys? LOL!!! Seriously, it's just a nice bunch of people on here and I enjoy being of service for them. You're as welcome as any of them. Join the party.

oh dont lie fisher u know u want to ban us all lmao

wick
06-29-2011, 07:06 AM
I know a couple of guys who have bought the Dick's Bone hunter and they love their bows. One was even bought at a pawn shop and the thing still shoots awsome and the guy knows nothing about bows. Is that a NAP quick tune 360 rest on there? After you get shooting it for a while let me know how you like it. I was basically a coin flip away from buying one for my exile. Ended up goin with the Hostage pro because of the bottom brush. Have fun with it. and good luck with the bear. Just in case you get nervous about the expandables i know for a fact that my muzzy's will pass through a bear with no problem. :D ya gotta love new toys.

vermonter
06-29-2011, 07:48 AM
On another thread I had posted my progress and the bow is doing well for me. Wick, you are correct it is a quick tune 360. I like it now that I am used to it however at first arrows would slip off on me. It is adjustable and obviously works much better now. I used to hold a bow Sideways and rotate it up to a shooting position when I was ready. I am told that is bad from to begin with and the rest has already broken me of that habit. It is a very consistent rest and shoots well for me.

To those of you Cheeta owners out there do you have any advise or info I should be aware of?

Regards, Vermonter

Snakeman72
04-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I recently picked up an 09 bonehunter also.
Great bow great shootin
the thing I love about the martins is you dont need a bowpress, just back out limb bolts till ya see light in the barrel nut. Keep looking around this site, It's a wealth of information
enjoy!

Snakeman72
04-10-2012, 08:11 PM
check the limb sticker, the first 2 numbers are supposed to be year.
Just curious cuz my 09 has m2 cams as opposed to your accutrack

bfisher
04-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Check the date of the original post and follow-up posts.

dzsmith
04-11-2012, 02:38 AM
cabelas set up my first bow with me, i thought they did a good job, they had a decent indoor range, and they took their time with me and allowed me to pick out things i wanted. it was an old man who helped me and he seemed to know alot. i guess i got luck. That was then, now i dont think id go to any mainstream store for a setup, especially when i have a local archery shop.