PDA

View Full Version : I need your Firecat 400 feedback

Jason
06-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Ok I know everyone here loves Martin. I do too.. I own a Mag Cat II and really like it. Since I stopped shooting PSE and switched to Martin I have been very pleased.

What I need though is some feedback from people who own this Firecat 400 bow or have shot it. I have never owned a dual hybrid cam bow. I myself like the concept of the TRG and STS. I do not care for the CS. It is the only thing that has give me trouble and that is just noise. Have to keep it lubricated not to squeal on every draw on my current bow. I have read review after review that I can find anyway plus read all information and watched all videos Martin has to offer on this bow. However, I do see some things like cam screws backing out, noisy, and not meeting chrono numbers (which I know is per setup). No where I have read had reported over 300. I know the bow is 600 dollars and elsewhere I would pay more for equal quality. So too me its an 800 dollar bow but 600 dollars is still a lot of money for me. I have 100 saved up so far just for this bow. Anybody want to buy some nice guitar stuff? lol.. just kidding. still raising the bill for it.

So let me know what experience you have with the FC400 if you don't mind. I also read the hammerhead strings that come on it require an incredible amount of waxing on the regular..

Thanks for any input and thanks for having me on the forum.

Destroyer
06-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Welcome! :)

I'm sure the guys that own a Firecat will reply soon, this is a great forum.

Btw, what PSE's have you owned?

Jason
06-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks a lot for the welcome. I've tried asking numerous questions via email to Martin but with no answer to any of them. I thought here would be a good place. I know they have some things going on with the recent site problems and things but even previous to that event still no answers to emails.

Destroyer
06-21-2011, 11:32 PM
I've tried asking numerous questions via email to Martin but with no answer to any of them

Emailing Martin is not always the best way. Do a bit of searching here. ;)

Jason
06-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Btw, what PSE's have you owned?

Oh and I have only owned 2 bows.. Usually get the best out of them.. However I grew up with my parents owning a sporting goods store so I was exposed to a lot and started hunting young and have shot numerous bows. My first bow years ago prior to my Martin was an old PSE F-2. Nothing to talk about other than it took my first deer and was durable with minimal too no maintenance but thats back when a lot of bows were so simple that maintenance was not as prominent due to lack of features.

Arrow Splitter
06-22-2011, 03:26 AM
Welcome to the Martin forum! There are a few on here that own the Firecat 400, so you will eventually get a reply. As Destroyer said, do some searching on here.

A.S

Ehunter
06-22-2011, 03:34 PM
I have a FC400 and have only had one problem with it. The modules had a rough spot from the machining process that was eating my cables. 5 minutes with a needle file, and it was fixed. I caught it before it did any significant damage to the cables. I am shooting 70#, 28.5 draw, 398 gr. arrow at 298 fps. It does require frequent lubricating of the cables where they pass through the TRG, but that only takes a minute or two. I have noticed that the more I shoot it, the less I am having to lube the cables. Maybe the cables are finally saturated, or maybe everything is finally smoothing out and fitting better. I don't know. As far as shooting the bow, it's a dream. Pretty quiet, fast, and a good weight. Took a bit of getting used to the newer, thinner grips, but once I did, I like them. Anything else you'd like to know just holler!

Jason
06-23-2011, 01:46 AM
I have a FC400 and have only had one problem with it. The modules had a rough spot from the machining process that was eating my cables. 5 minutes with a needle file, and it was fixed. I caught it before it did any significant damage to the cables. I am shooting 70#, 28.5 draw, 398 gr. arrow at 298 fps. It does require frequent lubricating of the cables where they pass through the TRG, but that only takes a minute or two. I have noticed that the more I shoot it, the less I am having to lube the cables. Maybe the cables are finally saturated, or maybe everything is finally smoothing out and fitting better. I don't know. As far as shooting the bow, it's a dream. Pretty quiet, fast, and a good weight. Took a bit of getting used to the newer, thinner grips, but once I did, I like them. Anything else you'd like to know just holler!

Hey thanks for your feedback.. Seems like you like this bow and I like that. The rough spot on the modules sounds like a bad production run you got a hold of. I suppose buying any new bow you sit down with the inspection kit and really check it over and on to observing the draw. I have heard their most current production has a number of improvements from the original shipment. Your still another person to report nothing over 300 fps and your shooting 70# though your arrow is on the heavier end I suppose the draw being maxed out for someone else would help that maybe not sure. Still a good speed though. Reason why I am asking owner or experienced feedback is because people tend to post their horror stories and problems and the other 18 out of 20 really enjoy it with little to no issue. Thanks again Ehunter

Jason
06-23-2011, 01:50 AM
I also have problems pulling back 70# on my older bow. Shoot about 60# now but I understand pulling back 70# on this bow is not as hard in some opinions. Also the 3 let off settings up to 80%. The higher let off behind the wall, will that effect fps?

Ehunter
06-23-2011, 02:11 AM
A higher let-off does seem to slow speed slightly. As smooth as this bow draws, 70# doesn't really feel like 70# to me. I like a little more holding weight than alot of guys. Just seems to keep me steadier on target., so my let-off is lower than most. If you are wanting a 70# FC, I'd say start off shooting it at 60#, and as you get stronger and more comfortable with it, bump the draw weight up a few pounds. When I was shooting arrows that are closer to IBO, I was getting 312fps out of the bow. It's my deer hunting bow, and those arrows were just too light for that. Just used them to check speed. I want something around 400 gr. for deer hunting. Also, the heavier arrow makes the bow far more quiet. Hope this helps!

Simple Life
06-23-2011, 03:03 PM
I got a FC,really been no problems with mine except getting the mods screws loose,but now that it is set to my draw lenght no worries.Little more maintenance around the TRG,compared to a slide.Draws real smooth,nice speed,no hand shock,fairly quiet.For the money ,your are getting a good
shooter IMHO.

SL

Jason
06-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Very helpful stuff. Thanks a lot for yall sharing some of your thoughts and opinions with me. Its the real final deciding factor for my purchasing this particular bow this year. I think I will be getting this one. Keeping the wax laid to it with special attention around the TRG and dabbing a little wax on the module screws to help keep from backing out is not much to be a problem. From the hours of reading on the forum I have done on this bow and the onza I think most recent production runs have corrected the deal breakers with this bow anyway on some issues I have read 3 or 4 alike people sharing. My reading on the onza was a little more vague though I have eliminated it from my choices and believe I will try a dual hybrid cam for my first time with the FC400. Have 250 now saved up. Getting closer. I like so many camo patterns but the black carbon is calling my name but skulls camo still a competitor. I think the black carbon fiber look is going to win this one though.

Simple Life
06-24-2011, 10:45 AM
If you order skulz ,the limbs will come in carbon fiber pattern,I learned this with my bow,I was expecting all Skulz riser and limbs.So just a heads up.

SL

Jason
06-24-2011, 11:37 AM
See that bothers me.. Not the fact of skullz camo and carbon limbs cause well that probably looks good. What is irritable is the lack of what you see is what you get. The pictures on the site show the skullz camo as riser and limbs. The picture of the "hunter black" FC appears to have more of a dull riser with carbon limbs. Martin Logo was white on sales pictures and now its showing up Green and you purchase which I like better anyway. They need new updated images so you know exactly what your getting. It would be different if the option you chose said "skullz camo w/ carbon fiber limbs" etc. I like a surprise as much as the next guy but not when I am paying for it. I sent an email a while back addressing this issue with Martin via their contact form. I wanted to see updated pictures of what the final product line looks like but still no avail on any of my messages via email.

Thanks for the heads up though Simple Life.

haha* I wish Martin would consider hiring me to manage some things for them. I am a web designer/developer and very knowledgeable managing a VB forum board. The forum could be really be broken up into some better categories to better sort information people are after rather than having 2000 pages of everything. Just a lot of organization that could happen here to help their professional presence here. Martin has nice bows, their a bigger name than some give them credit for, and I myself want to see them continue growing and offering excellent bows in the future. Oh I got it* A free FC400 for an approved make over of the forum..

Jason
07-01-2011, 11:58 AM
And yet again another TRG/Cam problem http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?11334-first-3d-shot-with-new-onza3

I know its an onza but the parts are the same causing the damage and so is the string.

Getting pretty scared about placing this order.. Really hoping people just keep failing to keep the string waxed heavy at the TRG. I guess if I get one just have Martin send me a cable slide with the bow. I mean I have heard a couple people now saying their set up is working fine. I just hate to get took for 650 dollars with no dealer that close and no support to replace my damaged string from the TRG or Cam... Same thing around here most dealers around here that do deal Martin will not stock them except for like a start up bow package or something from Martin.

Destroyer
07-01-2011, 04:57 PM
guess if I get one just have Martin send me a cable slide with the bow.

The only way I'd buy one.

boobowbender
07-02-2011, 07:44 PM
the newer production bows have to be better, but mine had all the problems that have been occurring. loose mod screws(easy fix) grip came off(easy fix) torn cables(well no easy fix, unless you ditch the trg before you start). my advice - wait a year. buy something used to get you by. i bet sonny knows someone with a cheap onza
I must admit, My Kitty is a tack driver and that is my number one priority. love the grip, holds well, much quieter w/o sos trg( its really quiet now). i guess half the fun is working on them, but its pretty disappointing at first when things don't work right
Its just one of those new things that need time to fix themselves. Old rule of thumb, never by a new model of car until all the bugs get worked out of it.

Jason
07-11-2011, 02:42 AM
So Im told word of mouth that the newest production line has an improved TRG where so many are reporting bad damage. Any others hearing this?

boobowbender
07-11-2011, 11:14 AM
it seemed at rest the trg pulled the cables too far out of the way, i mean like much too far out of the way. i think this is part of the problem. that pressure is what wears on the cables. the only thing martin could have done was to reduce the angle at which it pulled on the cables. It also caused the cables to come off( or onto rather) the cam at an extreme angle causing the cam mods to cut the serving people were talking about. I was beginning to have this problem till my dealer switched it back to rod and slide. The TRG sounded good in theory but added to the stress on the limbs, cams, and cables
Check out kylecurtis's post martin stands behind their product. Ike was sent a new onza to review by martin with a rod and slide factory installed

Destroyer
07-11-2011, 02:24 PM
has an improved TRG

Called a cable guard and slide. But seriously, I hope they have dumped the TRG altogether. Word of mouth? Depends on which mouth. ;)

Jason
07-12-2011, 02:55 AM
Check out kylecurtis's post martin stands behind their product. Ike was sent a new onza to review by martin with a rod and slide factory installed

I know who Ike is but where can I find this post you are talking about?

Called a cable guard and slide.

haha! I of course do not disagree but I do desire an effective alternative to the cable guard and slide. Why did they not stay with the roller system thing they had. That not work well either?

Arrow Splitter
07-12-2011, 03:28 AM
Here's the thread:http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?11691-Martin-Stands-Behind-Their-Product

gravedigger
07-12-2011, 04:06 AM
Why did they not stay with the roller system thing they had. That not work well either?[/QUOTE]

i really like the ccs(roller system)but it does give a bit of cam lean,however i corectet the cam lean and kept my bow in spect and love the ccs.i think its a really smoth draw.but they cant be used on the 2011 bows.

Jason
07-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks and what a read and watch.. I was not able to translate that any other way than if you want the best performance out of our bow then we are removing our trg innovation. Ike actually effects sales of these companies. He said Terry Martin contacted him to re test the bow. I am new here but I don't see actual Martin officials on this forum talking with us? Or are they? I have seen them at archery talk though.

Arrow Splitter
07-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Joel is on here. You'll never know unless he replies to something, but he's here.;)

Destroyer
07-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Why did they not stay with the roller system thing they had. That not work well either?

Puts a greater load on the limbs, that's why you had a 5lbs increase. But it might be as simple as not being able to source the parts or just an aesthetics choice. With the solids it might be good to have the ccs back.

Jason
07-12-2011, 05:01 PM
I am going to call soon and I hope someone will talk with me.. I want them to tell me about the latest TRG prior to my order because I like it (given proper operation without damage) as well I like the SOS. Ike even mentioned in that newest onza review thread that the bow was louder with the slide. I think if I serve the cables once a year while staying generous with the wax and taking the responsibility to take care of my bow I will get by (I hope). I am up to 320 dollars saved. Someone buys my guitar that is posted for sale around town I will have the rest so a purchase is near. It seems I am taking extra leaps to convince myself that this bow is for me but I cant keep from thinking about it until I own it. I have not looked at every bow yet but I think the only contender is the Bear Carnage but it is out of price range.