PDA

View Full Version : Who here rifle hunts as well?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-22-2011, 01:07 PM
I know we talk about bow hunting, But who rifle hunts?

Hutch:cool:

NuttyNative
06-22-2011, 01:56 PM
I do, around here you need to keep your options open with the draw system. Sometimes odds are better with rifle or muzzle loader. I have a Weatherby 270WSM and a 50 cal Traditions Buckmaster. Here in Nevada you have 5 choices on each tag draw. I put in for 3 archery, one rifle, and one black powder on each animal application. If you darw a rifle tag you can use any legal weapon so a bow is still an option.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/Guns001.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/Guns002.jpg

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-22-2011, 02:45 PM
I'd say those are very nice looking. You are certainly well set up for hunting. I hunt right in my back yard but I could only shoot about 40yards. So nothing for long range needed.

gravedigger
06-22-2011, 02:51 PM
no boom stick's for me.never have.

bfisher
06-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Maybe it's sad to say, but when my dad got too fragile to hunt I put the deer rifle away. Then he pased away in 1994 then my beagle went blind so I put the shotgun away. Therefore I haven't had a gun out in 20 years now. And now that the fire has burnd out in me I'm considering selling them off.

Arrow Splitter
06-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Well, here's my boom stick(Remington 7400 30.06 semi-auto). This is an older picture. I now have see-through scope mounts and iron sights on it as well as the scope.3120

Ehunter
06-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Sorry to hear that Barry. My dad lost alot of interest when his father died as well, but with me and my brother growing up, it got his spark back some. I rifle hunt as well as shotgun. Took my antelope with a rifle, and plan on taking one of the rifles for my muley hunt this fall. Not real familiar with Wyoming, so I want to have every advantage I can for a first hunt. Sadly, I have way more guns than bows, but I tend to stick with a few favorites. Right now, it's gotta be my .257 Weatherby for deer and antelope. Plan on taking it and my FC400 to Wyoming. Hopefully get one in bow range, but if not, fall back to plan "B". lol

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah sorry to hear that Barry. I hunt with my son, daughters, wife, and 73 year old mother in law, who carries a H&R 243.

HawgEnvy
06-22-2011, 03:27 PM
this will be my first year w muzzleloader. A CVA Wolf magnum .50 cal. I'm in shotgun zone so the inline .50 cal gets me closer to rifle range in the shotgun zone. For the thick stuff, I use my Mossberg 500 12g w 18" barrel. I've also got a single shot 12g that I need to get a kill with, also. I'll get some pics up when my B-I-L gets the .50 cal back to me.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Hawg, you have a gun!!!!!!! http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/images/smilies/crazy.gif

Hit the target Hawg

polaris754
06-22-2011, 04:01 PM
yep been doin the rifle stuff fer years , all i can say if i buy another one the wifes GONNA SHOOT ME ! my rifle barn is one short of full , i have 25 rifles 243 thru 300 rum and 8 hand guns 380 thru 44 mag
they have all served me well my goal is to take a elk or a moose , but havent had the bucks nor the time lately

HawgEnvy
06-22-2011, 04:30 PM
yeah I do. It's the only chance I get to hunt with my dad. He doesn't have the stamina for it anymore, so even w firearm season it's limited to perfect weather. Not to cold,not to windy,no rain. I think I've got about 20hrs of gun hunts in over the last 10 yrs or so. So hitting the target with a gun might just be a stretch.lol. My odds of a kill are vastly increased w a bow. I'm more confident and more efficient w my bow.

bigredhunter00
06-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Well, here's my boom stick(Remington 7400 30.06 semi-auto). This is an older picture. I now have see-through scope mounts and iron sights on it as well as the scope.3120

i totally used one of those in a 308 model back in north dakota

Arrow Splitter
06-22-2011, 04:44 PM
i totally used one of those in a 308 model back in north dakota
How did you like it?

bigredhunter00
06-22-2011, 04:45 PM
used to hunt with a 3006 in wyoming. If i ever rifle hunt again its going to be with my dads 308. Wont shoot at nothing less than 500 yards. Try to make a challange out of it, since the gun is zeroed at 800 yards.

Arrow Splitter
06-22-2011, 04:48 PM
used to hunt with a 3006 in wyoming. If i ever rifle hunt again its going to be with my dads 308. Wont shoot at nothing less than 500 yards. Try to make a challange out of it, since the gun is zeroed at 800 yards.
Nice. I like mine, just want to eventually go with something lighter, and bolt action. This is the one I have my eye on:http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/x7c.asp

bigredhunter00
06-22-2011, 04:55 PM
nice my pops 308 is a savage 111 with accu trigger bull barrel and bipod. Has a mildot burris scope on it.

Arrow Splitter
06-22-2011, 04:58 PM
nice my pops 308 is a savage 111 with accu trigger bull barrel and bipod. Has a mildot burris scope on it.
Savage is a good company. As you can see, the Marlin weighs just over 6lbs. I'm amazed at how cheap it is($299 for black) and yet the reviews on it are excellent. Kinda like Martin bows I guess. Cheaper than the rest, but I'd shoot one against the other bows any day of the week.:cool::cool:

Money Man
06-22-2011, 06:36 PM
I have a Savage .30-06, a Mossberg 12ga, and my Stevens .308 (made by Savage). I hunt with my father who lives in a rifle zone, but when I am home, I live in a shotgun only zone. Thanks to this 9pt, I have bloodied all of these weapons. I have had the .30-06 the longest (18 years) and have numerous deer with it. The 12ga has a couple and the .308 only 1. I can use bow during gun season also, so if I wanted to I could bow hunt all year. Which I may do until I can tag a deer with the bow.3121

cjchasman
06-23-2011, 03:28 AM
Being from Ohio I have a few options for rifle use on varmints and coyotes. We also have a black powder season for deer and can use muzzle loaders in the deer gun season as well. The gun season typically is the most popular time to use the shotgun w/ rifled slugs. No High power rifles allowed for deer. I do however cross the state line into W. Virginia every year for a week of rifle hunting; my gun of choice is my trusty Ruger .308 w/ international stock. Luv that gun. I have several more from .243 to 7mm mag. to keep w/ the " he w/ the most toys idea"...lol I also enjoy reloading and working up some of my own hunting and target rounds.

MLN1963
06-23-2011, 05:01 AM
I have a couple rifles for hunting. A Marlin XS7 in .243 and a Thompson Center Venture in .270. I bought the Marlin and was amazed at how much gun you got for so little money, $299 at WM. Then I happened across the TC Venture and paid only a little more, $350, and it is an even nicer gun for the money.

Both of these guns were less money than my bow and neither have had any problems unlike my Firecat 400. It goes to show how over priced bows are IMO.

RLW
06-23-2011, 05:32 AM
I rifle hunt as well..........Remington Model 788, .308
and pistol hunt..............Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk .44mag
and muzzleloader hunt....Thompson Center New Englander .54cal

Not so much with the latter two anymore, archery season have been getting in the way.

We have several other firearms around the house, but those are my go to guns

Ford
06-23-2011, 08:16 AM
I have to many rifles, or thats at least what the wife says. I hunt all but one or two of them, as often as possible.
weatherby vanguard in 270 win
savage/stevens 200 in 243, with custom laminated stock that I did most of the work on. Cheap but super accurate gun.
Ruger M77 target rifle in 22-250 heavy barrel and stock
Mauser 98 custom rifle in 6.5 rem mag
Remington 700 custom build in 260 ackley improved, that is 90% done, custom stock, barrel, and custom detachable mag
Mosin nagant m44 in 7.62x54
Parts and pieces to soon become a custom arisaka 38 in 6.5 jap.
TC encore 50 cal muzzle loader, laminated stock. for the ny shotgun season.
Hawkens 50 cal flint lock
and then 6 or 7 various over under, semis, and double barrel shotguns for waterfowl. .22 for pests, and a pistol or two for good measure.
My wife was pissed when I got into archery, if I collect bows like I do guns, we will need a bigger house to put them.

Arrow Splitter
06-23-2011, 08:26 AM
I have to many rifles, or thats at least what the wife says. I hunt all but one or two of them, as often as possible.
weatherby vanguard in 270 win
savage/stevens 200 in 243, with custom laminated stock that I did most of the work on. Cheap but super accurate gun.
Ruger M77 target rifle in 22-250 heavy barrel and stock
Mauser 98 custom rifle in 6.5 rem mag
Remington 700 custom build in 260 ackley improved, that is 90% done, custom stock, barrel, and custom detachable mag
Mosin nagant m44 in 7.62x54
Parts and pieces to soon become a custom arisaka 38 in 6.5 jap.
TC encore 50 cal muzzle loader, laminated stock. for the ny shotgun season.
Hawkens 50 cal flint lock
and then 6 or 7 various over under, semis, and double barrel shotguns for waterfowl. .22 for pests, and a pistol or two for good measure.
My wife was pissed when I got into archery, if I collect bows like I do guns, we will need a bigger house to put them.
Sounds like you have some nice loud toys.:cool: Which one's your favorite?

Ford
06-23-2011, 08:39 AM
oh its so hard, its like picking a favorite child...
They all have their purposes, of course the varmint rifle is best for wood chucks. I've made 400yd shots on deer with the 270, its been my main rig for 10 yrs, but the others have joined the collection the last few years. I think my future favorite will be the 260 ai because I'm custom making it to my dimensions and everything I've ever wanted but couldnt find in a rifle. but right now at the very moment strangly enough the stevens 243 is my favorite. Bought it used off a buddy for 150. Adjusted the horrible trigger and got it tollerable, reloaded some ballistic tips for it, and was shooting 3/8" groups at 100yds off the bench on the first batch of reloads. Its only second to the varmint rifle in out of the box accuracy, its dirt cheap, and light as feather to carry. Easy to customize, parts are cheap, barrels can be swapped with little tools and some reading.
I shot a big 5 point, and a doe last season with it. The season before shot a doe between the eyes at 30 yds free hand. Other then the buck all deer dropped in their tracks at the shot, the buck ran 30 yds down hill, and that was more momentum then anything. I bought the 243 for my younger brothers first deer rifle, he will be 12 in a couple years. I wanted to be sure it had enough pop to do the job, and ended up carrying it 2 yrs in a row over every other rifle I own. Dont let anyone tell you small rifles arent good for deer, less kick means greater accuracy and comfort shooting. Light, easy to carry, cheap to reload.
I think the 260 ai will be all that I have in the 243 and more. size shape fit and feel will be perfect, with a lot more knock down power, penetration, and flat shooting.

Arrow Splitter
06-23-2011, 08:49 AM
oh its so hard, its like picking a favorite child...
They all have their purposes, of course the varmint rifle is best for wood chucks. I've made 400yd shots on deer with the 270, its been my main rig for 10 yrs, but the others have joined the collection the last few years. I think my future favorite will be the 260 ai because I'm custom making it to my dimensions and everything I've ever wanted but couldnt find in a rifle. but right now at the very moment strangly enough the stevens 243 is my favorite. Bought it used off a buddy for 150. Adjusted the horrible trigger and got it tollerable, reloaded some ballistic tips for it, and was shooting 3/8" groups at 100yds off the bench on the first batch of reloads. Its only second to the varmint rifle in out of the box accuracy, its dirt cheap, and light as feather to carry. Easy to customize, parts are cheap, barrels can be swapped with little tools and some reading.
I shot a big 5 point, and a doe last season with it. The season before shot a doe between the eyes at 30 yds free hand. Other then the buck all deer dropped in their tracks at the shot, the buck ran 30 yds down hill, and that was more momentum then anything. I bought the 243 for my younger brothers first deer rifle, he will be 12 in a couple years. I wanted to be sure it had enough pop to do the job, and ended up carrying it 2 yrs in a row over every other rifle I own. Dont let anyone tell you small rifles arent good for deer, less kick means greater accuracy and comfort shooting. Light, easy to carry, cheap to reload.
I think the 260 ai will be all that I have in the 243 and more. size shape fit and feel will be perfect, with a lot more knock down power, penetration, and flat shooting.Sounds good. Right now I own the Remington and a Ruger 10/22. I have a friend who read in some magazine that the Ruger 10/22 was a little sluggish when you fire it fast. Mind you, he doesn't own one. When he was here one time I had him try mine, and fire it as fast as he could pull the trigger. Yes, he quickly discarded the sluggish thought.:cool: For deer hunting, I use an 180 grain bullet in my Remington. It's overkill, but at least the deer will be going down.:cool:

Ford
06-23-2011, 09:53 AM
I have the same 10-22. Great gun, keeping it clean is the most important thing to prevent misfires, and jams. The clips get nasty dirty as well and sometimes the springs break or losen in them. Most people think they are slow by design, but its usually because they are dirty. I love mine.
180gr is perfect for deer in an 06. I've shot 150gr to 180gr in my dads remington 06 for deer and havent had any problems. That big bullet will penetrate deep,carry more energy, and buck the wind better.

EnglishKev
06-23-2011, 01:05 PM
No choice over here if you want to hunt, bowhunting is illegal.
I have two .243 Remingtons for deer, one with a 26'' bull barrel and a 8.5 -25x Leupold for open fields, the other with a 22'' sporter barrel and a 3-9x Leopold for woodland hunting.
Varmint rifle is a .223 Remington PSS with the barrel cut down to 22'', threaded 5/8'' and a full length sound moderator, 6.5-20x Leopold.
I reload for all three.
Also have a Ruger 77 .22 rimfire, with a sound moderator and a 6.5-20 Leupold, and a whole collection of pellet guns.

Kev

Speedykills
06-23-2011, 02:43 PM
I bow hunt everything,even though i have some rifles i just like to bow hunt better.:)

Simple Life
06-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Moose hunting is only 3 days,so I take what gives me better chances and some places I hunt for deer,require a little more range.

Moss 12 Ga with slug barrel(Comes with me bowhunting for Bears:rolleyes:),my Savage 30.06 for Moose,and my Savage 7MM SAUM for deer(plus wife uses it)

Arrow Splitter
06-23-2011, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't be bowhunting bears without backup either.:eek:
Nice guns SL.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-23-2011, 02:54 PM
I'll take anyone of them SL, nice toys

Robert58
06-23-2011, 03:21 PM
I Rifle Hunt also. If you modern Rifleman want to call it a Rifle. I belong to a pre 1840 Black Powder Club. I hunt with my TC Hawken. It has a special Round Ball Barrel 32" long with 1 in 66" twist in 50 Cal.

Arrow Splitter
06-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Nice! Now that's something I don't see everyday.:cool:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-23-2011, 03:38 PM
I Rifle Hunt also. If you modern Rifleman want to call it a Rifle. I belong to a pre 1840 Black Powder Club. I hunt with my TC Hawken. It has a special Round Ball Barrel 32" long with 1 in 66" twist in 50 Cal.

3132Bet you drop them dead with that one Robert58

Robert58
06-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks. Any Deer inside of 100 yds. is mine.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Here is my 21 year old Marlin 30/30 I refinished it last year and it looks like I just bought it.

MLN1963
06-23-2011, 05:36 PM
It looks great hutch. I can buy a new one in WM for $367 but they just don't look as good as the old ones that had such nice wood. The new cheapo is very bland looking. Still an iconic gun though.

gravedigger
06-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Here is my 21 year old Marlin 30/30 I refinished it last year and it looks like I just bought it.

the 30/30 is my favorit rifle.i will have one some day.i dont know what it is about them,but i just love the 30/30

bigredhunter00
06-24-2011, 03:39 AM

Now that is a beautiful rifle. When tax returns come around next year, Ill be getting a Lyman Great Plains 50. It also a roundball set up. Dad had
one and he could cut playing cards in half edge wise at 25 yards.

Sharxfan
06-24-2011, 10:26 AM
I see alll of the bolt guns on here and am leery of posting my main hunting rifle. It is an AR-15 style rifle chambered in 6.8mm SPCII. It has not been blooded yet as I have yet to see a deer at my stand. I have high hopes this year as I am changing tactics and added archery season with the purchase of the Onza 3. I also have a M&P 9 that I bring with me for snakes, an M&P15-22 for plinking fun and duck control around the house and a Remmy 11-87 for turkey ( missed season this year because of a death in the family).

Here is the main deer hunting rifle.

gravedigger
06-24-2011, 11:27 AM
I see alll of the bolt guns on here and am leery of posting my main hunting rifle. It is an AR-15 style rifle chambered in 6.8mm SPCII. It has not been blooded yet as I have yet to see a deer at my stand. I have high hopes this year as I am changing tactics and added archery season with the purchase of the Onza 3. I also have a M&P 9 that I bring with me for snakes, an M&P15-22 for plinking fun and duck control around the house and a Remmy 11-87 for turkey ( missed season this year because of a death in the family).

oh ya thats nice.if i were a deer thats what i would want to be takn with.nice set up

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-24-2011, 11:31 AM
It looks great hutch. I can buy a new one in WM for $367 but they just don't look as good as the old ones that had such nice wood. The new cheapo is very bland looking. Still an iconic gun though. I got it for a gift and it has seen a lot of woods. So I decided it would look better refinished. It is dark walnut wood. It is a difficult wood to refinish. But once done it looks like new.

the 30/30 is my favorit rifle.i will have one some day.i dont know what it is about them,but i just love the 30/30GD it is my most favorite gun, its my best buddy during hunting and it has been accurate as it can be.

Sharxfan
06-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks GD. I like it a lot. The only issue I had last year (other than lack of deer) is that the only scope I had was a 6-24x. I am hoping to purchase a 2-7x I think that it will allow closer shots than the 6x and it has plenty of mag for shots out to 200yds which is about the max where I hunt.

Arrow Splitter
06-24-2011, 12:48 PM

3149Now that's a deer killing machine!:cool: Nice gun Sharxfan.

A.S

Sharxfan
06-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Did I happen to mention that if I was a better shooter I could probably get Sub_MOA accuracy out of it? As it stands I have some form to work on and it still shoots about 1.5MOA. I just love that gun.

HawgEnvy
06-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Now that's a deer killing machine!:cool: Nice gun Sharxfan.

A.S

x2. That it one mean lookin gun! You got pics of the M&P 15/22?

Sharxfan
06-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Sure do it's not as nice as the other but here it is....

gravedigger
06-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Sure do it's not as nice as the other but here it is....

not as nice as the other....you got jokes.them are some nice boom sticks

HawgEnvy
06-24-2011, 08:38 PM
very nice! I need one for squirrel huntin.

Arrow Splitter
06-25-2011, 04:26 AM
I want to convert my Ruger to look like this one:3152This is the Ruger SR-22, using the same receiver that my Ruger has.

HawgEnvy
06-25-2011, 05:10 AM
the sports shop down the rd stocks those @ 459.99. It'd be much cheaper to do the conversion. Have you guys ever checked out the "Cheaper than Dirt" catalogs? All kinds of aftermarket stocks.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-25-2011, 05:13 AM
Cheaper than dirt is a great place to drool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arrow Splitter
06-25-2011, 06:07 AM
the sports shop down the rd stocks those @ 459.99. It'd be much cheaper to do the conversion. Have you guys ever checked out the "Cheaper than Dirt" catalogs? All kinds of aftermarket stocks.Yeah, I've seen the Cheaper than Dirt catalogs, and the stocks in them are cool. I wouldn't buy the SR-22, if I did anything it would be the conversion.

Sharxfan
06-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Actually what I meant was that the picture was not as nice as the first one as I shot the 15-22 in a hurry. I wish I had waited on the 15-22 and got one with the threaded barrel so that I could suppress it later if I go that route. They also have a pistol version of the 15-22 that is awesome I could just imagine taking it into the woods during bow season and seeing the look on the game wardens face when I tell him it is a .22 pistol with ratshot. I need to get one more rifle and am thinking about either a AR-10 in .308 or going another AR-15 in 5.56 to get a more common round than the 6.8mm.

HawgEnvy
06-25-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm thinkin the warden would poop bricks. Lol that is awesome! How bout an SKS. Very common cartridge,plenty of mods, insanely cheap to shoot. I need to get another one.

wscywabbit
06-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Sharxfan is the bell of the ball! I'd love to have an AR style gun to hunt with. The Remington R25 chambered in .308 would be a great addition to my arsenal, I think.

I have a Savage .308 lever action model 99 (my deer rifle), a Mossberg 12 guage pump for birds (it was my best friend's, who was killed in Afghanistan. I'm holding/using it for now until his son is old enough), and my elk rifle which is a Remington model 700 wildcat (modified gun); 7mm Mag with the action replaced by 300 action so it takes 300 H&H cartridges necked down to 7mm. shoots a 165 grain ballistic tip @ 3200 fps. Yes it will reach out and touch someone, and no u can't borrow it lol.

Sharxfan
06-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Hawg, you are right about the SKS but I am liking the AR platform and am really leaning towards the .308 so that I have the common round and the ability to reach out and touch something. Hmmmm, may just have to buy both then dammit.:D

Dammit wabbit you cut me off at the pass with the no borrowing clause. Although I have a friend in Kentucky that has offered to let me hunt his farm whenever I want and he even offered to let me borrow his .50cal rifle if I don't wnat to bring my own. Neighbors buying a .50BMG rifle soon may have to try it out one day although throwing $5 a round down range kind of kills me.

dragonsfire311
06-25-2011, 10:36 PM
I use a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem, Mossberg 500 12 Ga, CVA Wolf 50 cal smokepole, and a Thompson Hawken 50 cal Smokepole

wscywabbit
06-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Hawg, you are right about the SKS but I am liking the AR platform and am really leaning towards the .308 so that I have the common round and the ability to reach out and touch something. Hmmmm, may just have to buy both then dammit.:D

Dammit wabbit you cut me off at the pass with the no borrowing clause. Although I have a friend in Kentucky that has offered to let me hunt his farm whenever I want and he even offered to let me borrow his .50cal rifle if I don't wnat to bring my own. Neighbors buying a .50BMG rifle soon may have to try it out one day although throwing $5 a round down range kind of kills me.

Wow .50 cal is almost overkill for anything in the Americas! I've dropped a couple elk with my .308, and it was my dad's gun of choice before he gave it to me. Not to say that it wouldn't be fun to shoot though :p $5 a shot is spendy though; at least when you shoot a $15 arrow you know you'll probably get to shoot it again...

Arrow Splitter
06-30-2011, 04:36 AM
Wow .50 cal is almost overkill for anything in the Americas! I've dropped a couple elk with my .308, and it was my dad's gun of choice before he gave it to me. Not to say that it wouldn't be fun to shoot though :p $5 a shot is spendy though; at least when you shoot a $15 arrow you know you'll probably get to shoot it again...wabbit, if you go shoot an elk with a .50 cal BMG, I believe it will look like the elk was hit with a small meteor.LOL

Sharxfan
06-30-2011, 06:41 AM
That's what I told my friend. I said that I would like a little meat to eat for my efforts.

Arrow Splitter
06-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Now on the other hand, if I was in grizzly territory that caliber might come in handy. Never mind shooting the bear multiple times to save yourself, just shoot it once, and watch it drop like a rock.:cool::cool:

wscywabbit
07-03-2011, 05:28 PM
wabbit, if you go shoot an elk with a .50 cal BMG, I believe it will look like the elk was hit with a small meteor.LOL

no joke, huh? I shot a small coyote with my friend's 300 mag, it turned the poor fellow inside out!

Arrow Splitter
07-04-2011, 04:33 AM
Try this for firepower:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D41NYBHkb9M

Sharxfan
07-04-2011, 07:06 AM
You think that is bad check this one out.

20mm rifle (http://www.anzioironworks.com/20MM-TAKE-DOWN-RIFLE.htm)

Arrow Splitter
07-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Cool! An Elephant gun.LOL:D
Now that's a gun and a half. :cool:

Double S
07-04-2011, 09:08 AM
I don't modern rifle hunt. I mainly use a bow but I will pick up my Dixie Gun Works .58 Caliber Flintlock Jaeger Black powder Muzzle loader. I make my own bullets, Minie balls 500 grains with 100 grains FF.

Sharxfan
07-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Those old flintlock rifles look so awesome. On one of the other forums I frequent a guy has three of them that he builds himself and they are so gorgeous I could see never taking them out. I hunt only modern firearms right now but I still appreciate the beauty inherent in the older guns.

Double S
07-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Those old flintlock rifles look so awesome. On one of the other forums I frequent a guy has three of them that he builds himself and they are so gorgeous I could see never taking them out. I hunt only modern firearms right now but I still appreciate the beauty inherent in the older guns.

Thanks. I wasn't sure that i could do it when I first use a muzzle loader. I was worried about the powder falling out the pan while I'm was spot and stalking. I've learned since then. Washington only allows Primitive style muzzle loader or ML with a breech open to the elements. We can't use scopes either. The .58 on my rifle is a custom Barrel. The barrel itself is around 600 bucks. plus my Father engraved it and inlaid some gold and silver into it. The rifle comes in a smaller sizer normally. It has a little kick.

RO81TUcIViw

http://youtu.be/RO81TUcIViw