PDA

View Full Version : New to martin - ridge hunter package issues

steelersaz
06-23-2011, 08:48 PM
I bought the ready to shoot Martin Ridge Hunter package from Bass Pro. It is my first bow I have ever owned. The first issue I had with the bow was the rest that came on the bow (Wildman Mantis I believe it is called). The very first time the bow was shot the arrows kept falling down off of the rest. I went ahead and replaced it with a drop away rest and all was well at that point. I started shooting the bow and really liked the feel and accuracy. I have it set at a 30" draw and at 70 lbs. I went ahead and purchased the SOS system for it as it did not come with the package for the Ridge Hunter. My second issue is my TRG slide. I have only shot the bow maybe 100 times so far and I have grooves already worn in the plastic as well as some wear on the string. Is this a normal occurrence or is something wrong? I can attach pics as to show what I am talking about. The third issue is the grip. The leather is all stretched on top of itself on the left side basically where all the hand pressure is. I will attach pictures on that as well. Is anyone else having these issues with the TRG system and the new grip? I have not had a chance to call Martin yet and talk to someone as I work during their hours. Any feedback would be appreciated.3134313531363137

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Welcome to the forum! The best thing you could do at this point, is call Customer service and talk to Joel. Your pics are perfect and will show it well. Joel might have you send the pics so have them handy. Martin customer service is excellent and will handle it. Not every bow has issues but some do from time to time, so call CS and talk to Joel and I am sure he will handle it.

Hutch:cool:

steelersaz
06-24-2011, 04:49 AM
Thanks Hutch! I will give Joel a call...hopefully today sometime.

HawgEnvy
06-24-2011, 05:03 AM
so, other than the leather piece coming off, what do you think of the grip? Comfy or not? BTW,welcome to the forum. Joel @ CS will take care of you. My Cheetah is 3yrs old,bought used off Craigslist and they sent a new idler wheel to my pro shop for me at no charge. That was just a couple weeks ago. We want pics of the whole bow, too. We like pics.

Ford
06-24-2011, 05:14 AM
This is a common issue with the trg system. Martin will deny that and says it barely ever happens, read around this forum and decide for yourself if this statement is true. I just dealt with the same things on my exile. Call joel as others have mentioned. Martin will tell you to take it to your local dealer and they will replace the parts. If I were to do it over I would send the bow directly to martin and let them replace your string and cable guard, I would suggest going with the regular guard not the trg as this will continue to happen. Be forwarned, you didnt buy the bow from a pro shop, which is my story as well. You will be charged labor from your local martin dealer to replace the string and cable guard. My shop charged me 50, I called martin and they didnt see a problem with that. It may take more time to send it to martin, but you shouldnt have to pay labor charges. Although when I talked to joel he said labor isnt included in the waranty, so you may end up paying martin labor to. I dont know for sure, but ask first. I got surprised when I picked up my finished bow with a 50 labor charge. Needless to say I dont like surprises, especially on a month old bow. Just a friendly heads up, take it with a grain of salt.
p.s. just another warning, my grip came off as well, 200 shots in, martin didnt do anything about it. I bought the sos aftermarket and the rubber ripped in 200 shots. At the dealer they said martin wouldnt do anything about that either. I called joel and he is sending an sts system, but I dont know how that will work with my model year. Be warned as well the sos system hooks up right where your kisser is if you use one. meaning you cant use one. You may get away with a rubber bumper, but something to consider. I would save your money and buy a sims string stop for 40. that mounts out of the lower stabilizer hole.
For clarification purposes, I'm not bad mouthing anyone; but I am a frustrated martin consumer, and I dont want others to have to repeat my mistakes and waste their money on "the latest greatest technology" that breaks in a month. If you strip off all the special 2011 do hickeys that are so wonderful, your left with a decent shooting bow. Again take it with a grain of salt, these are my experiences and may not reflect the same dealings everyone else has had.

steelersaz
06-24-2011, 05:36 AM
so, other than the leather piece coming off, what do you think of the grip? Comfy or not? BTW,welcome to the forum. Joel @ CS will take care of you. My Cheetah is 3yrs old,bought used off Craigslist and they sent a new idler wheel to my pro shop for me at no charge. That was just a couple weeks ago. We want pics of the whole bow, too. We like pics.

I really like the feel of the grip and other than the leather coming off it seems like a nice setup.

Here are pics of my bow.

steelersaz
06-24-2011, 05:40 AM

Other than the leather coming off I love the feel of the grip.

Pics of my bow.....

Sharxfan
06-24-2011, 10:41 AM
I have the TRG on my Onza 3 and I am at around 75 shots through the bow if not more and I have no wear at all on the TRG not even a shiny spot. Now the first thing I did when I got the bow was to make sure that the string did not hit the TRG at full draw and it also does not touch the end when slack. I had the bow tuned by the place I bought it from and other than the DL modules coming loose (fixed with blue loctite) I have not had any issue with the bow. For the amount of damage on your TRG this had to be happening for awhile to wear that much I would think you would have seen this from shot 1 or did this damage happen suddenly? Not trying to diagnose the issue just curious so I can watch mine.

steelersaz
06-24-2011, 10:52 AM
I have the TRG on my Onza 3 and I am at around 75 shots through the bow if not more and I have no wear at all on the TRG not even a shiny spot. Now the first thing I did when I got the bow was to make sure that the string did not hit the TRG at full draw and it also does not touch the end when slack. I had the bow tuned by the place I bought it from and other than the DL modules coming loose (fixed with blue loctite) I have not had any issue with the bow. For the amount of damage on your TRG this had to be happening for awhile to wear that much I would think you would have seen this from shot 1 or did this damage happen suddenly? Not trying to diagnose the issue just curious so I can watch mine.

I actually noticed it this past weekend after I had shot about 60 or so arrows....like I said I probably have less than 150 total shots on the bow at this point. My string does not hit the back as well so I don't think that is the issue...the only thing I can think of is maybe if the TRG is rotated slightly (meaning not exactly parallel) then the string may wear the one side of the TRG surface which appears to be where the wear is on mine. It looks parallel to me but I can't imagine what else could be causing it. Possibly a bad batch of the material used to make it? Not sure..I will have to call Joel and talk to him about it.

vermonter
06-24-2011, 11:28 AM
I thought I had an issue with my rest as well from a different package. I believe it is the same rest you have. The rest is adjustable to arrow size and when I did so with my own Allen wrench it went away. Just notice the two Allen head screws on the top right and left of the rest and adjust them with an arrow in it so you know what size you need it to be.

I know you say you bought a different rest but the old one could be used as a backup if needed.

Regards, Vermonter

gravedigger
06-24-2011, 11:34 AM
i would no go as far as saying EVERY MARTIN DEARLE WILL CHARGE FOR LABOR,i bought my 2010 bengal off craigs list and the shop i used to go to never charged me a dime for parts install.that i brought to them.just ask all the questions you need to befor hand to make sure your bases are coverd

Ford
06-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Gravediggermtv,
That is true and a good point. My issue was I bought it new off ebay from an archery shop. My local shop would not have charged me labor if I had bought it there. The original post was about a bow purchased at bass pro shop, so I thought it may be a similar sitation. I understand where my shop is coming from, I dont agree with it, but I understand it. I didnt buy the bow from them because there mark up was ridiculous and I wouldnt have afforded a bow to begin with.
I deal with patients all the time, and they buy braces from other companies, and I fix those braces or do repairs within reason just to keep those people happy and coming back. Especially if the parts are covered under waranty and its only costing my time, not my money. I steal business from my competitors by going above and beyond whats expected, and when its time for a new brace those patients come to me. I guess I expected the same from my archery shop but thats the way the cookie crumbles. I was taught an expensive lesson.

peace
06-26-2011, 06:15 PM
To the original poster, did you ever take the bow back to Bass Pro Shops? Did you buy this straight off the rack or through the mail? Did they attempt to set the bow up for you? I would first address the place where I purchased the bow, then Martin Archery directly. If you were dissatisfied Bass Pro could fix or either replace the bow, although I am sure Martin Archery will do its part to please you.

I really like the Ridge Hunter as a possible hunting bow, it has all the right specs for me, especially the DL that goes to 31" and the pricing is affordable to the average consumer. Boy I wish I was at least average right about now, LOL!

steelersaz
06-27-2011, 04:56 AM
To the original poster, did you ever take the bow back to Bass Pro Shops? Did you buy this straight off the rack or through the mail? Did they attempt to set the bow up for you? I would first address the place where I purchased the bow, then Martin Archery directly. If you were dissatisfied Bass Pro could fix or either replace the bow, although I am sure Martin Archery will do its part to please you.

I really like the Ridge Hunter as a possible hunting bow, it has all the right specs for me, especially the DL that goes to 31" and the pricing is affordable to the average consumer. Boy I wish I was at least average right about now, LOL!

I ordered the bow online through the Bass Pro website. Once I received the bow I took it into my local Bass Pro and had them set it up for me. When I changed out the rest that came on it because the arrows kept dropping off it they (Bass Pro) said I would need to take that issue up with Martin directly.