PDA

View Full Version : A little sighting in headach kinda

vermonter
06-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Ok so the good news is I am grouping with the new bow. The even better news is that I am grouping almost perfectly for windage to the point where I could hunt with it if not for the bad news.

The bad news is that I am consistently high by about three inches. The real kicker is that I adjusted the sight by moving it up in order to send the arrows point of impact lower. I did so to the point that I felt I may shoot a little low. I'll be dammed if the arrows didn't group in the same place. I understand the bow could group weirdly depending on string break in but I would assume this would not cause consistently high groups.

Advice or comments please

Simple Life
06-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Well after string break in,you might try paper tuning and or walk back tune.

vermonter
06-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Ok,
So how long do you consider string break in to be? I thought of paper tuning but I am not set up for it so it would be a trip to the shop.

Thanks, Vermonter

Arrow Splitter
06-24-2011, 05:14 PM
I believe your peep is too high. Draw the bow back with your eyes closed, anchor, and then open your eyes. This will tell you where you peep sight needs to be. Peep sights are usually approx. 5 1/2 to 6 1/2" from the nocking point.

A.S

vermonter
06-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Well Splitter this was an excersize in draw consistency however your drawing with eyes closed trick seems to have proven that the peep is on target. Out of ten draws it only appeared out of whack once and it was low then not high.
Thanks, Vermonter

Destroyer
06-24-2011, 07:10 PM
I adjusted the sight by moving it up in order to send the arrows point of impact lower

By how much? You need to make bigger moves and see.

gravedigger
06-24-2011, 07:44 PM
could ancore cause an issue...too low\high?maybe

HawgEnvy
06-25-2011, 05:51 AM
what's the rest setting like? Nock point?

vermonter
06-25-2011, 04:00 PM
I decided to simply adjust the sight height by moving the entire sight up not just the pin I was working at the time. I put the pins back where I found them originally and simply moved the whole sight up. Magically the arrows started finding the bullseye. I would guess that the pin is in approximately the same place as I had it adjusted to however as i said I am shooting spot on for today. I shot about 100 arrows and they all found their marks.

Can anyone account for the difference between moving the whole sight or just the pin?

Regards, Vermonter

Destroyer
06-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Moved it more? sigh........

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Can anyone account for the difference between moving the whole sight or just the pin?

Regards, VermonterHey Vermonter, I believe this was covered. Its your sight window. In short explanation, it was out of alignment. Sort of a optical illusion. This has happen to me before. Looking through the sight everything appears to line up, but in fact the sight window is oblong.

Hutch:cool:

vermonter
06-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Ok so no in other words the alignment was off causing an improper sight picture. I ammstarting to get it.
Regards, Vermonter

Destroyer
06-25-2011, 04:44 PM
What the heck are you guy's going on about?