PDA

View Full Version : ShadowCat: 2010 vs 2011

NeilMac
06-25-2011, 06:15 AM
I have just bought a second ShadowCat. I already own a 2010 version, with CAT 1.5 cams and Barnsdale limbs and now I have added (thanks to AT) a second 2011 model with Nitro2 cams and Barnsdale limbs.

What's the same: Weight, balance, general feel in the hand.

What feels different: The draw up of the cam, WOW! these Nitro2 cams are smooth.

There is a distinct bump in the road just before the valley of the CAT's, also, as you start to draw up, you can really feel that you are pulling against the bow. With the Nitro's they are really easy to draw up and the bump before the valley feels smaller, as it is a lot less steep.

I am shooting fingers, with a DL of 30.5", shooting 340 spine 30" arrows weighing around 360 grains. I have both bows turned back around 2 turns from max in order to get just under 300 fps (max velocity allowed in the assoc I shoot within). With the let off set around 60%, I am getting a really clean release from both bows and they are both spot on accurate, but the 2011 is a lot less effort to use, simply because of the feel of the cams.

I would say the ShadowCat with Nitro cams has got to be one of the best bows currently available for finger shooters, especially 3D and field shooters like me.

HawgEnvy
06-25-2011, 09:02 AM
@ 3000fps ur effective range has got to be around 400yrds. How many pins are you using?:p

NeilMac
06-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Ooops, typo corrected :o

Destroyer
06-25-2011, 03:03 PM
I already own a 2010 version, with CAT 1.5 cams and Barnsdale limbs

Barnsdale's as standard?

HawgEnvy
06-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Ooops, typo corrected :o

lol. Sorry. Couldn't resist. I'm glad your likin your bows. The riser desing is nice,but the AtA is too much for my tastes

peace
06-25-2011, 08:06 PM
A picture of the siblings together would have been nice, two cats playing together, come on....:cool:

NeilMac
06-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Hawg - As a finger shooter, long AtA is just what I'm looking for. Good thing we are all different, life would be boring otherwise.

Destroyer - No, replacements. I bought it from AT deliberately because it had Barnsdales. Not such a good deal in the end, due to the seller, but that's another story.

Peace- As you wish.

Destroyer
06-25-2011, 10:43 PM
I bought it from AT deliberately because it had Barnsdales.

Good selling point. I have second hand shadowcat on the way, not sure about the limbs. Could be 2011 solids but I can't tell from the photo's. It has carbon finish but it covers all the limb, sides as well? :confused:

Not such a good deal in the end, due to the seller, but that's another story.

:eek: Was it a VAT issue?

NeilMac
06-25-2011, 10:53 PM
:eek: Was it a VAT issue?

No, it was a seller lying about the condition of the bow (bent module) and the equipment included (no STS), issue.

I complained to the Moderators, who sent the seller a pretty strong PM.... and that was the end of that.

Destroyer
06-25-2011, 10:59 PM
No, it was a seller lying about the condition of the bow (bent module) and the equipment included (no STS), issue.

Crikey! :eek: Hope I don't have that sort of issue. Good to know the mods have that much influence.

NeilMac
06-25-2011, 11:13 PM
I have bought, several bows, sights, strings etc from AT, including the latest Cat and it is the only purchase I have had any issues with, so I think I was just unlucky.

When the bow arrived I gave it a good looking over, and noticed the modules were not on the same numbers. That puzzled me, so I looked further and noticed the bent module. This was after realising that the STS was not in the box, as I had hoped.

I have to say the UK Martin importer (Centre Shot Archery) were fantastic and got me a pair of modules very fast and at an extremely good price.

One tip: Before you do anything with your Cat, make sure both the screws on both the modules are nice and tight. This was the cause of the bent module on Cat1 and I found one slightly loose screw on Cat2. I have found the same thing in the past with other manufacturers, and usually after one retightening, everything settles down, but it's worth a check before you draw the bow up for the first time.

Destroyer
06-26-2011, 12:51 AM
One tip: Before you do anything with your Cat, make sure both the screws on both the modules are nice and tight. This was the cause of the bent module on Cat1 and I found one slightly loose screw on Cat2. I have found the same thing in the past with other manufacturers, and usually after one retightening, everything settles down, but it's worth a check before you draw the bow up for the first time.

Will do thanks! :D

Don
06-26-2011, 04:18 AM
Congrats on the new Cat.
I remember seeing that Cat for sale on AT. Happy to hear you have gotten it all squared away. I love my two Cat.
Best of luck to you and your shooting.
Don.

NeilMac
06-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks Don.

I was not really looking for a second Cat, but when the price got so low, I could not resist. The seller was great; short PM's and absolutely true to his word.

I think the history of the bow may be a bit mixed; I have the original shipping box, which dates it at February this year, but I've no idea when it acquired a pair of Barnsdale limbs with Rytera logos on. The seller just said they were fitted because they were the best....can't argue with that.

I have high hopes for the new bow and I'm just fletching up some new arrows to see what works best; feathers, EP26, Blazers or Quickspins.

Neil