PDA

View Full Version : Side/Hip quivers

Destroyer
06-25-2011, 04:48 PM
So what quivers do you use? Looking for a new one to replace my cheap bohning, leather perhaps.

peace
06-26-2011, 05:21 AM
Me and bow quivers don't get along. Most clunk in one fashion or another.

I've been using a hip type quiver for the past ten years. Quality leather quivers are not cheap. Mine is no longer made, but surely Fred Bear carrys other you'd like. I like easy in, easy out. So that knocks out the sprig tension type. Just a standard poke 'em in is fine with me. I do use a Uncle Mike's nylon belt, snap over buckle.

Could you please show us a picture? Thank you.

NeilMac
06-26-2011, 06:50 AM
I use a bog standard / common all garden cordura 4 tube hip quiver on a decent leather belt.

I've been an archer since 1986 and it's the only quiver I've ever owned. Now that is value for money.

bigredhunter00
06-26-2011, 09:33 AM
for the wifes and mine anniversary im getting her a purple easton quiver. Its what she wants so thats what shes getting. In return shes getting me sme some new hunting boots.

Destroyer
06-26-2011, 03:14 PM
I use a bog standard / common all garden cordura 4 tube hip quiver on a decent leather belt

What is the brand?

purple easton quiver

Almost bought a silver one.

Whoops. Did you mean hunting or target quiver.

Target Sonny, should have said. The vista's still available?

minnie
06-26-2011, 04:44 PM
the shorter length, nock rearward easton is good , even if a bit pricey here. the longer nock forward ones trip those less tall like myself, over out on 3d ranges. there's a matching belt available, works well. good quality and worth the price. i settled for the grey/silver, the only colour available at the time. 12 months use and holding up well.

NeilMac
06-27-2011, 12:29 AM
What is the brand?

I'm sorry, I have no idea. It was bought at a local archery shop, so is probably a proprietary brand or one they had made, but similar quivers are sold at just about every shop and also online.

The Easton quivers are nice as are some of the WinWin quivers, but mine's still going strong, so, I'll stick with it.

Destroyer
06-27-2011, 03:56 PM
similar quivers are sold at just about every shop and also online.

Some of the newer ones look too high tech for my liking.

Conan
06-27-2011, 04:15 PM
If I had the money I'd probably get a badlands hip quiver, but currently using something by PSE, which is serviceable but not great quality.

An alternative that might be worth considering is getting a cordura sheath for a 22" machete and, if you like, adding a few pvc tubes.

Destroyer
06-27-2011, 04:26 PM
If I had the money I'd probably get a badlands hip quiver

Didn't know about them. Would be made well.

http://www.cabelas.com/hunting-bags-packs-badlands-mag-hip-quiver-pack-3.shtml

Robert58
06-29-2011, 03:34 PM
If you want a nice Leather Quiver without breaking the bank. A Neet NT-2100 $69.99, a NT-2300 $84.99 or NT-2300 Basket Weave $99.99 is hard to beat.
Prices from Lancaster Archery Supply.

Robert

Destroyer
06-30-2011, 04:08 PM
A Neet NT-2100 $69.99, a NT-2300 $84.99 or NT-2300 Basket Weave $99.99

Would have liked one but the shipping to Australia was a bit rich. I've imported bows for the same $$.

Robert58
06-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Sorry. Didn't notice you were in Australia. But Neet Quivers are not sold in Archery Shops in Australia?

Robert

Destroyer
06-30-2011, 07:58 PM
But Neet Quivers are not sold in Archery Shops in Australia?

Robert

Yes but just out of my budget.

http://shop.archerymart.com.au/collections/quivers/products/neet-nt-2300

Add another $15 - 25 for shipping.

Ford
07-01-2011, 05:06 AM
I dont use a hip quiver, but made a little arrow holder to shoot in the backyard. 2" pvc pipe a foot long, and a scrap peice of 1x8. Pre drill some holes at an angle, regular dry wall screws into the board, and a piece of packing foam in the bottom of the tube. Free's me up, nothing on the bow or the hip. Stable and doesnt tip over. just a thought.

gravedigger
07-01-2011, 05:54 AM
i would make my own rather then pay 100 for one.leathr.leather punch,leather string and start sewing.

Destroyer
07-01-2011, 04:38 PM
ford, sounds like a good diy idea, we need a forum for that. :)

i would make my own rather then pay 100 for one.leathr.leather punch,leather string and start sewing.

I would if I could. I'm just too much of a fussy bugger! ;)

droppixel
07-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Been wanting to pick one up for 3D - An Easton would be nice, but not in the mood for dropping that much on one, only shoot a few a year so far - but would come in handy for target. Cabelas T2 line don't look that bad, Vistas are out there and the Bohnings are still nice in my opinion. Have borrow a friends a few times, no complaints.

Destroyer
07-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Cabelas T2 line don't look that bad

Also marketed under the 'Sportsman Outdoors' brand too I think.

Double S
07-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I use a Black's Creek Sliver Quiver. I have the option of having it on my belt or a shoulder strap.

bigredhunter00
07-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Been wanting to pick one up for 3D - An Easton would be nice, but not in the mood for dropping that much on one, only shoot a few a year so far - but would come in handy for target. Cabelas T2 line don't look that bad, Vistas are out there and the Bohnings are still nice in my opinion. Have borrow a friends a few times, no complaints.

just dropped 85 bucks on an easton quiver with belt for the wife for our anniversary. That included shipping from illinois.

Destroyer
07-05-2011, 02:38 AM
Ended up ordering one of these, a Sportsman Outdoors Flex Foam Quiver System.

Destroyer
07-06-2011, 11:04 PM
I have a bino carrier, but don't use it.

Any reason?

Almost bought a vista but the one I purchased had a belt, etc, for the same price. No tubes on the modern vistas though.

Destroyer
07-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Understood. I've been looking at monocular's in an effort to cut down weight but there nothing here I can lay my hands on to check quality. There is plenty on eBay but its difficult to research.

cyclepath
07-10-2011, 06:15 PM
So what quivers do you use? Looking for a new one to replace my cheap bohning, leather perhaps.

I don't understand what the problem is with the bohning quiver. I have a small bohning quiver, left hand that I wear on the right side. I like my arrows facing away from me. I think I paid 15 bucks for it. I did buy a bohning pouch for my stans but nothing expensive or flashy. I'm not looking to impress anyone, including myself, unless it's at the next target. JMO but I think the ones that bring the bling are there to be seen as much as anything. I don't have a 1600 dollar bow that's all flash. It kinda makes me laugh when I see guys out shooting with an expensive bow and quiver wearing sandals, shorts and a tank top with their bows name on it. Ask people that have the expensive easton quivers what arrows they shoot. lol

Destroyer
07-10-2011, 11:28 PM
I don't understand what the problem is with the bohning quiver

Nothing wrong with it, I just wanted something better and with a belt, accessory pouches, etc. If I bought just the belt and a couple of pouches it would cost more $$ than getting a whole new rig with the shipping to here. For example, I found a vista belt on ebay which was under $25 but the shipping was over $40!!! :eek:

Destroyer
07-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Received my quiver today. I wish stores would give you a choice before sending a different model. Sheesh I'm a winger this week! ;)

What I was sent.

What ya think?

MLN1963
07-14-2011, 06:23 PM
It looks $$$$

Destroyer
07-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Cheers! :)

Destroyer
07-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks Sonny, its not what I ordered but I'm starting to come around on it slowly. Its a little bit darker than that photo and works good. I just wanted a longer quiver and this thing is only 17" on the body, about the same as a standard 19" quiver without the tubes. That's the only thing I don't like.

cyclepath
07-16-2011, 07:35 PM
That is one saweeet rig. Now how long before you get it broke in? :cool:

Destroyer
07-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Now how long before you get it broke in?

Depends on what happens with my cat! ;)

popeye
07-17-2011, 12:58 AM
Make your own, then you can add the bits and pieces you need. Leather is the only way to go. Haven't found anything in the Australian bush that has nylon skin.

NeilMac
07-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Destroyer: That looks like a great set up, I could fill all those pockets and pouches with any amount of cra....errm, essential spares.

Popeye: Welcome. I only wish I had your skill. I have made simple leather items when I was doing some falconry, but that belt and quiver are art.

BTW: I went to a knife show last week and found a company that was selling leather with camo and other designs laser printed on it. Now there's an idea for some gear.

popeye
07-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Destroyer: That looks like a great set up, I could fill all those pockets and pouches with any amount of cra....errm, essential spares.

Popeye: Welcome. I only wish I had your skill. I have made simple leather items when I was doing some falconry, but that belt and quiver are art.

BTW: I went to a knife show last week and found a company that was selling leather with camo and other designs laser printed on it. Now there's an idea for some gear.

NeilMac. The best part of DIY is that you can make the accessories to suit your needs. I have a water bottle (600ml), utility pouch, compound bow stand, pocket knife, arrow puller and the quiver. I have four tubes that will hold at least 16 Platinum Plus XX75 aluminium arrows. They hold much more of the acc arrows. If things get too heavy during a FITA 144 I have a shoulder strap to assist in taking the weight. In the case of leather, a couple of needles and rivets is all you need. The reason my stuff is carved is because I have been doing this since 1964. Have a go.

popeye3425

Destroyer
07-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I could fill all those pockets and pouches with any amount of cra....errm, essential spares.

Yeah same here, it will end up with all sorts of crap then it will be to heavy and I'll end up going back to just a quiver and belt.

In the case of leather, a couple of needles and rivets is all you need. The reason my stuff is carved is because I have been doing this since 1964. Have a go.

That is AWESOME popeye, very nice work! No way I could do that.