PDA

View Full Version : Any body here work on cars?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Hey Guys, I have worked on cars forever! But I just ran into something I have not done. On a fuel sending unit there is a nylon fuel line. The line to the fuel filter broke off, now I need to splice the nylon fuel line. I bought a kit to repair it. But as usual they don't give instructions. The kit comes with the barbed brass fitting and the nylon fuel line with the quick connect. I looked on line to find out how they do it. They say to boil the line and insert the fitting. No sure since the thing never came with instruction. Help meeeeeeeeee!

Hutch:cool:

gravedigger
06-25-2011, 07:13 PM
there are so many question......now the fuel sending unit im guessing is your fuel pump,if so is the fuel pump in your gas tank.another is the fuel filter and metel one that has two brass conecting ends on each side.did the brass ends break off the filter.is the break a clean break in the fuel line.did you check for cracks in the fuel line.if ther are cracks or sighn of ware then replace the whole line and dont splice.if you have to conect the two ends of the fuel line then return that kit you bough and go buy a brass male conecting peace that will slide in both ends.hose clamps to snug it up and your good to go.cost will be about 1.50.a bit of spit and it will all slide together......this is what i have done in the woods when i was wheeling and broke a fuel line.

Money Man
06-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Hutch, that could be right. I have never fixed a fuel anything, but as far as putting the hose onto the fitting, that is what we do with our sap lines when we make maple syrup, except in the woods we don't boil water to soften the hose, we just stick it in our mouth to warm it up and then it slides over the fitting pretty nicely. Good luck.

Sharxfan
06-25-2011, 09:00 PM
When I used to work on my car more often and we had to use the barbed connectors I would just spit on the fitting, spread it around and slide the line over it and then tighten down the clamp. If it is fuel line doesn't it have barbs on both sides of the line? If so why not buy new line and replace the whole thing instead of introducing a splice and another possible source of leaks? If you can a picture might help.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-26-2011, 02:07 AM
To explain it in a little more detail. The sending unit / fuel pump, has nylon lines coming off of it. One line has a metal 90 degree elbow, that screws into the fuel filter. the elbow rusted and broke. Now I need to cut the rusty elbow off, and splice in the new line. Nylon to nylon with a brass double sided barb. Now they recommend to boil the line to soften it. I can do that on the repair piece but not the fuel sending unit. The sending unit cost almost $300 so I would like to repair the line. "Sounds bad" but if I spit on it that might just do it. But if anyone has any other experience or ideas I am open.

cjchasman
06-26-2011, 03:00 AM
I've used a hair dryer b4 to make line more flexible; I'm not sure if you have room to work or if it would be safe. Also a gentle heat on the barbed end and some oil may help you insert into the line. The oil should not harm things. Good Luck.

cj

HawgEnvy
06-26-2011, 06:13 AM
make,model,year of vehicle in question. They're not all the same construction. The fuel pump and sending unit are generally sold as one unit which explains the cost. Is your terminology correct. Isn't the sending unit a "float" attached to a wire arm w wires connected that makes the fuel gauge work? Pics would help or a link to the instructions so I can better visualize what your dealing with.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-26-2011, 02:02 PM
make,model,year of vehicle in question. They're not all the same construction. The fuel pump and sending unit are generally sold as one unit which explains the cost. Is your terminology correct. Isn't the sending unit a "float" attached to a wire arm w wires connected that makes the fuel gauge work? Pics would help or a link to the instructions so I can better visualize what your dealing :cool:with.1998 chevy cavalier. Now a days they call it a fuel sending unit. In the old school days fuel pump. A fuel sending unit, sends fuel. A fuel leveling sensor, is a float which tell your gauge it always empty:rolleyes:. But now that I am done toying with you Hawg. Your are right on terminology some companies call it a sending unit some call it a fuel sending unit. All in all I thank you guys for your answers. Cj is right a hair dryer will work to soften the nylon tube, then insert the brass barb. I wanted to be sure there is 7 to 10lbs of pressure on that line.

Thanks guys

Hutch

gravedigger
07-01-2011, 03:48 PM
did you get your rig up and running?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-01-2011, 04:23 PM
did you get your rig up and running?All most done GD, I am going through the whole car. I rebuilt the whole rear braking system. Replaced the gas tank. ripped out the interior so A.S. could clean it. A few more things after that. Then I will buff the paint out and done

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Update on the A.S. mobile.

I did the hair dryer thingy and heated up the lines and repaired the sending unit. Problem was that 7 to 10lbs of pressure was too much. So I did it this way, I got a compression to compression nylon line fitting. It took ten minutes and worked great.
Now the next thing, change the front flex pipe and I should be about done.

Arrow Splitter
07-07-2011, 05:26 PM
You shouldn't do that to me. Now they'll want pictures of my car.LOL:p

gravedigger
07-07-2011, 07:17 PM
PICS OF A.S. NEW RIDE
http://images.imagelinky.com/1310096940.jpg (http://images.imagelinky.com/1310096940.jpg)

Arrow Splitter
07-08-2011, 05:08 AM
I don't believe a Chevy Cavalier looks quite like that.LOL I'll eventually get the pictures on here.:cool:

gravedigger
07-08-2011, 08:46 AM
I don't believe a Chevy Cavalier looks quite like that.LOL I'll eventually get the pictures on here.:cool:

belive it or not that is your year make and model of your car.its just tricked out alot.see your car could look like that.lol

Arrow Splitter
07-08-2011, 09:26 AM
belive it or not that is your year make and model of your car.its just tricked out alot.see your car could look like that.lolOh yeah, I see that now.:o

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Here is my old truck that I did some of the body work, 2 new cab corners. Front fender corner, and some engine work.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-09-2011, 11:42 AM
As soon as I can I will try to find some pics of a 1970 Pontiac GTO I painted and restored. And I will try to post them.

HUTCH:cool:

justin
07-09-2011, 01:47 PM
ive worked on cars for quite some time!! there is actuall clamping dies that go on the plastic lines to press in the brass fitting in place. and a small hand clamp to do the actuall pressing. if the fuel line is the big fuel line it will have much more than 7 to 10 psi on it, more like 35 to 50 psi. and if it is the small line, it will have nominal 0 pressure, but flow. i would be hesitant on using the compression fitting unless its rated for fuel, maybe your local parts store will have the pressing tool available for loan.... id check into it!!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks Justin, I looked into the kit that you are talking about. It is made by Dorman Co. here is a link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjlGJhZ8UqE It was almost the same price as the sending unit. So I used one of their compression to compression fittings. And it worked great. So now we are changing the front pipe. Then we will be just about done the car mechanically. Then a couple of days doing the body. And it will be like new.