PDA

View Full Version : 2009 - 1st year Hunting

TIGON
06-26-2011, 04:54 PM
It was the 4th day after opening day. I was in a ground blind, Ameristep Bone Collector. I've been up for the 4 days with limited sleep. So I close my eyes in my outdoor chair. I have the bow (Martin Pride '99') to my left and a buddy sitting next to me on my right, who has never hunted. We both slept from 10am - 1pm, when I woke up and I look 40yrds out and there was his head down munching on some acorns. For a split moment I lost my breathe. I turn to my right and woke my buddy up with a nudge. Now the dear is moving right to left, flat ground, mix of trees, but nice alleys. I reach for my bow, check the release, and draw. Because the dear was moving right to left I was now leaning over my buddy to get the shot down the alley on my left. So now I can see the dears head coming past the brush into the alley on my left. I take a deep breathe looking down my 40 pin through my peep. The arrow was nice and with a brand new 100 grain Muzzy fixed broadhead. The dear is now in the clear and as his front right leg takes his last step, I released the arrow at 280fps. It hits solid, the dear runs, we wait. While waiting I'm freaking out in very quiet excitement. I want to just run out there and start tracking but my brother, who has hunted all his life, always told me to wait so I wouldn't push them. So we waited. About 20 minutes later, we emerged from the group blind. We walk to the spot it was hit and there was a mess, so we followed the little trail about 60yrds and there he was, a young one but decent in size. He was a 6" spike horn, 180lbs, I was so excited. My father went hunting for years when he was younger and he never got anything so I was even more amazed at the fact that I got a dear. One of the best times of my life and I'm now hooked and never stopping. FYI: I started hunting to learn survival and save money with venison.

Simple Life
06-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Great story and now you are hooked.Hopefully your new Rack Rage will draw blood this fall for you.

SL

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Nice story, looks like there will be more stories to come.

Hutch:cool:

gravedigger
06-27-2011, 02:59 PM
that is a good story.good hunt

Destroyer
06-27-2011, 03:40 PM
While waiting I'm freaking out in very quiet excitement.

Its good hey! Sometimes it aint so quiet. ;)

Great story btw.

TIGON
06-27-2011, 06:13 PM
I was just showing my wife the Martin forum and she read my story and the first thing she said was that story was so gay. Lol. And busting on my spelling & grammar. Lol. I told her that only a hunter would understand. But................it is a little gay. LOL

Destroyer
06-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Its not. If I want to pick any part its that you need a paragraph or two, makes it easier to read. But that's if your the picky type. ;)

I could do a bit of formatting if you like.

Ford
06-29-2011, 08:34 AM
The only thing I would help with is the spelling of deer, not dear. Makes it sound like your hunting a loved one. hahaha. By the way I cant spell to save my life, so dont let it bother you.
And your wife sounds hilarious, she busts your chops just like my wife busts mine. Ahhh the joys of marriage.

TIGON
06-30-2011, 05:31 AM
Spell check gets me everytime - lol. My wife on the other hand.......... She's crazy but she loves venison so she pushes me to hunt more, which is great.

Speedykills
06-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Yep nothing like the first one,what a rush it can be.

Arrow Splitter
06-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Excellent story TIGON! A deer weighing 180lbs is an excellent size.:cool:

I must talk a lot on here, because in less than a year I already hit 1000 posts.LOL:D

Destroyer
06-30-2011, 03:27 PM
I must talk a lot on here, because in less than a year I already hit 1000 posts.

More than me lol!

Jason
06-30-2011, 03:56 PM
You know another thing that is special about this.. It demonstrates the raw excitement and reality of the hunt you experienced as a real hunter (not a guy on TV). To hear you start the story I was sure you were on to a monster racked buck after some needed sleep. But that wasn't the case. You were so pumped up over your 6 inch spike and thats awesome. We watch these tv shows where they let monster deer walk all the time and say its not big enough.. I guess if we all hunted on deer farms we could do that but that does not sound like fun at all. My buck last season was a 3 point and I was overwhelmed with the whole thing of the shot I made how close I had him for the shot, making the draw without him catching me, and hearing him fall 50 yards over the hill from my shot if that. This what you shared is real and what its all about. Way to go man! How did you like trying to keep your heart from beating out of your chest? What a thrill and a good meal.

Arrow Splitter
06-30-2011, 06:02 PM
More than me lol!Now Destroyer, I'm not the one known for having my name down the "last post by" section.:p:DLOL Oh, and compare our average posts per day.;):D

Destroyer
06-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Um...er... no comeback. You win this one mate. ;)

Double S
07-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Cool Story. Congrats on the kill. Thumbs up.