PDA

View Full Version : How far should the peep sight be?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-29-2011, 12:30 PM
How far should your peep sight be from your eye?

Hutch:cool:

Speedykills
06-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Everybodies different so there isnt a set measurment,some people have big heads some have small heads,long noses,which causes different anchor point's.ect...ect.

Destroyer
06-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Its all about string angle and draw length, less angle the closer it has to be.

HawgEnvy
06-29-2011, 03:52 PM
I've got a little head,big nose,and glasses. 30" AtA bow,28.5"DL peep is 4.5" from peep to corner of my eye nearest my floppy ears. 4" too the frames of my glasses. Does that help? Lol

Simple Life
06-29-2011, 03:53 PM
I've got a little head,big nose,and glasses. 30" AtA bow,28.5"DL peep is 4.5" from peep to corner of my eye nearest my floppy ears. 4" too the frames of my glasses. Does that help? Lol

Can you be a little more specific:D

Arrow Splitter
06-29-2011, 04:03 PM
I've got a little head,big nose,and glasses. 30" AtA bow,28.5"DL peep is 4.5" from peep to corner of my eye nearest my floppy ears. 4" too the frames of my glasses. Does that help? LolAlright! You've got the same draw length as I do.:D

Simple Life
06-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Alright! You've got the same draw length as I do.:D

Freakshttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/arms.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Arrow Splitter
06-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Freakshttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/arms.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)Let me guess, you must have a 24" draw length, which is why you're making fun of our draw length.:p

Simple Life
06-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Let me guess, you must have a 24" draw length, which is why you're making fun of our draw length.:p

Just like a T-Rex;)

Arrow Splitter
06-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Just like a T-Rex;)LOL!:p:p:D

HawgEnvy
06-29-2011, 05:16 PM
lol-ing at S.L. That's awesome.

Ford
06-30-2011, 08:38 AM
hahaha, I'm in the t rex category, 25ish. I really think someone should market a short draw length bow for men, like 25-27". Make it as fast as possible, and give it a name like t-rex. Bowtech has the heartbreaker, matthews the passion. We need a short draw bow with a mainly name. I know the leopard isnt to bad for names. But this new bow should not be offered in pink anything, not pink camo, any of that. Cause if I have to look at one more short draw bow on ebay with pink strings and accessories, I'm going to cry.... I mean be very upset, yes very upset.............

Oh and the distance thing for the peep is tough for me. I have a huge head, and a big nose. Changes everything, and have a hard time with peep size, distance all of that. Getting rid of the peep cause it annoys me.

Destroyer
06-30-2011, 03:48 PM
LOL!!! :D

Don't mess with the rex.....

cjchasman
06-30-2011, 05:17 PM

What the heck...this is a first! Nobody is asking for pics! lol :rolleyes: You handsome devils.

droppixel
07-01-2011, 04:55 AM
This just hit me ... the distance from your eye with the peep - what is the best size to use? I am currently using a G5 Meta Hunter 1/4" and it overlaps my sight ring perfectly. Is there any point in going to a smaller peep or is this the best way to keep it?

Arrow Splitter
07-01-2011, 04:58 AM
This just hit me ... the distance from your eye with the peep - what is the best size to use? I am currently using a G5 Meta Hunter 1/4" and it overlaps my sight ring perfectly. Is there any point in going to a smaller peep or is this the best way to keep it?It's personal preference really. I have the same peep, and it fits my sight perfectly as well.

gravedigger
07-01-2011, 05:57 AM
it should be right ware it needs to be.no more,no less.lol

Destroyer
07-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Is there any point in going to a smaller peep

Lots. Better for the string, large peeps can cause trouble with the strands due to the angles/forces they create. A smaller peep will be more accurate, gives a more precise alignment. And a smaller peep will weigh less which means a little more speed.

I am currently using a G5 Meta Hunter 1/4" and it overlaps my sight ring perfectly.

If it aint broke....... ;)

droppixel
07-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Noted - I think with my next set of strings, I might think about a slightly smaller peep just for giggles and if I don't like it, I'll swap it out.

droppixel
07-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Bringing this one back up - I was reading a recent post linked from Wired To Hunt (http://wiredtohunt.com) to an article on Bowhunting.com (http://bowhunting.com) - Extending Your Effective Bow Killing Range (http://www.bowhunting.com/blog/post/Deadly-Summer-Practice-Extending-Your-Effective-Bow-Killing-Range.aspx).

This got me to thinking about my personal set up. I remembered my sight (TruGlo Carbon XS (http://truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT)) had an extra mounting set on the bracket from when I set it up with my Dad. It was set to the closer of the 2 mounting options and that post ruffled my feathers to play with one more thing with the bow. I went ahead and took it off and kicked it out to the extended mount. In doing this I had to bring my sight window down and it was bottomed out.

From here I remembered that the sight was universal for left and right sides - so I took with window out and flipped the arm upside down. This allowed me to bring all of my pins up in the window and give myself more vertical adjustment and center the pins better. Didn't think about this before, but kicking the sight out farther from your eye/peep - makes the pins appear smaller because of the distance...duh...and because of that your pin gaps will open up. That is what I really liked, I could open my gaps up and was able to see much more of the target. Before making the adjustment, my 20/30 pins were super tight with each other. I still have to re-set my 40 and 50, but so far, I really like having this change.

Just a thought for anyone else out there that isn't running their setup like this. Worth trying at least.

bfisher
07-20-2011, 04:05 AM
So what you're saying is that ou like the longer sight radius, right? An added benefit of this is that a longer sight radius lends itself to better accuracy. Not a bunch, but some. This just a reason that rifles with iron sights are more accurate than a handgun----more distance between the front and rear sights. Did you also find that it's slightly easier to gap shoot with a little more space between the pins? It's fun learning more by experimenting isn't it? Instead of just asking questions on the internet try things for yourself and see how things work and what works best for you.

elkslayer4x5
07-21-2011, 07:32 AM
And a smaller peep will weigh less which means a little more speed.

Uuhh, not a whole lot less and it'd would be very little gain in speed, if measurable. Just sayin. :D

Destroyer
07-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Uuhh, not a whole lot less and it'd would be very little gain in speed, if measurable. Just sayin. :D

No problem mate, depends on the make of the peep really. The fletcher's seem to weigh all the same regardless of size but my G5's gained a few fps going to a 1/8".

droppixel
07-21-2011, 04:21 PM
@bfisher, yeah extending the radius. Mine isn't way out there, but enough that is has made a difference in where my sight sits and my pins. It definitely helps having a little more of a gap in the pins and I can that helping for mid range shots as well, much easier to split the 2 and still be accurate.

For the peeps, that is a funny thing. I really like the G5 and have the 1/4" - if you look at the weights they have listed the 3/16" actually weights more than the 1/4" - kinda funny - assuming the outside diameter is the same just the OD is smaller (more material left on the peep)

pizzadave
07-23-2011, 10:07 AM
I use a 3/16'' peep 1/4'' was really really big. What I found was I like my peep to be like a halo around my sight ring. That way I know that I am set up right, even in a awkward position. If I have my peep perfectly haloing my sights at anchor, then I have NO deviation from where I should be shooting, and am right on. I don't really dwell on it, but it's just a reference point.

droppixel
07-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Right now, mine is haloing quite well. I'll have to do some more shooting and see exactly how much coverage I have or if I could go down to a smaller size, but for right now I really like my field of view. Also if you can get away with it, a slightly large peep will allow for a little bit more light.

Destroyer
07-23-2011, 06:35 PM
a slightly large peep will allow for a little bit more light.

Only a little. The downside is that you won't align the string as well.

but for right now I really like my field of view.

If it aint broke.... ;)

Arrow Splitter
07-24-2011, 04:48 AM
If it aint broke.... ;)You should try a new line.LOL:p

Destroyer
07-24-2011, 04:55 AM
A bit stale hey. How about 'Woozle Wuzzle'? ;)

elkslayer4x5
07-24-2011, 06:34 AM
You should try a new line.LOL:p

Yeah, but "if it aint broke" :D

wscywabbit
07-24-2011, 07:13 AM
lol that's funny :p

bfisher
07-24-2011, 08:53 AM

This seems to be almost a standard answer for a lot of things. The only thing I find wrong with this attitude is that if it were so we'd all be shooting longbows and recurves. We'd be driving model T's and there would be no experimenting to help us progress in life. Pertaining to archery, if nobody experimented then we would gain no knowledge and would not be answering any questions because we would know nothing.

Destroyer
07-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Yeah, but "if it aint broke" :D

LOL!!! :D

The only thing I find wrong with this attitude is that if it were so we'd all be shooting longbows and recurves.

Depends on your attitude for the trad gear. There would be a lot of archers that would think even the best trad gear is already 'broke'.
I do get your point though Barry. ;)

We'd be driving model T's

But we would all be rich because of how much $$$ those things are worth! :p

Arrow Splitter
07-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Yeah, but "if it aint broke" :DLOL:p You got me.:D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-24-2011, 05:15 PM
But what if it is broke!!!!:p

Hutch:cool:

Destroyer
07-24-2011, 05:17 PM