PDA

View Full Version : Broadheads!!!!!!!!!!!

Speedykills
06-29-2011, 06:09 PM
You guys shooting 280fps+ what broadheads are you using,Im using muzzy mx-3 now fly great just curious what everybody else is using.

Ehunter
06-29-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm at 298 fps with my FC400, and I'm getting very good results with both Slick Trick 100 gr. Magnums, and 100 gr. Shuttle T-Locks. Getting very nice groups out to 50 yards so far. The T-Locks do appear to be grouping slightly tighter at that distance, both both are well within the kill zone on a whitetail.

bigredhunter00
06-29-2011, 07:31 PM
im at 270 something i believe still havent chronoed but i will be using the epek xc3s

gravedigger
06-29-2011, 08:20 PM
i use muzzy 3 blade at 308fps and shoot good

peace
06-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Muzzy MX-4s, and also Rocky Mountain Premiers all 100gr which I like for the cut on contact.

Really thinking about trying the VPA Terminators 100gr and 125gr. Haven't found a mechanical that I am 100% ready to give an opportunity to.

NuttyNative
06-30-2011, 04:50 AM
Right at 295 and using 100 gr. Shuttle T-Locks.

vermonter
06-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Why well because the field tips, practice broad heads, and the real thing all group in the same spot without sight adjustment. Also I experimented with my old bow last year shooting out of my ground blind and they worked reliably using that.

Vermonter

Ford
06-30-2011, 08:26 AM
my input is minimal since I havent harvested a deer, but I bought a few packs of the crimson talon x system broadhead. 100 gr. It has a 7/8 fixed main blade, with a two blade mechanical that opens to an inch and half. All blades are offset from the opposing group of blades, so its like having a four blade. They have a low profile, no orings, snap back in place, not considered barbed, so not illegal here in ny. And they come 3 in a pack with three turbine tip practice heads. They have a twist in the main blade to create spin, better wound channel and flight they claim. I was shooting around 240 which is slow I know, but getting groups less then an inch at 20 and an inch and a half at 30. Didnt have to change my sights, and keep in mind I'm new at archery and cant shoot that well to begin with, so my practice tips arent any tighter. Also I was using borrowed arrows, and later found out the feathers had a left hand twist, so they were fighting one another in flight, and still had those good of groups.I was impressed with the flight, and they look like they will put a nasty hole in something, while still having a cut on contact tip. A guy on ebay had them for 15 dollars free shipping, everywhere else 30-40. Just a thought. Its worth it just for the experiment to see how they fly. my 2 cents.
oh and I had only bought one pack, shot them and was impressed and bought another pack immediately after. I have 6 broadheads, and 6 practice tips for 30 dollars. Be aware there are no replacement blades sold, and sharpening the main blade with the twist may be difficult. a lot of guys kill a few deer, then throw the head out. But I've heard as many as 5 deer killed with the same head.

Sharxfan
07-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I am new to bowhunting this year but I got a three pack of NAP Shockwave mechanical broadheads. They are a three blade design that flip out on contact with an O-ring to hold them in place in flight. I have only been practicing with field tips as of now but will switch closer to hunting season. I am shooting at ~281 fps so we will see what happens.

Jake-the-snake
07-01-2011, 04:13 PM
289, nothing but magnus buzzcuts and G5 strikers

ftshooter
07-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Magnus Stingers or buzzcuts ...have always flew great for me ...I have took 4 deer ..I can count right off with them ..1 made it 50 yards most 10-20 ..they are mean mothers ...

Speedykills
07-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Magnus Stingers or buzzcuts ...have always flew great for me ...I have took 4 deer ..I can count right off with them ..1 made it 50 yards most 10-20 ..they are mean mothers ...

How was the blood trail!

LIbowhunter
07-04-2011, 04:29 PM
I've never paper tuned my bow so I have no idea how many FPS it shoots. Personally I don't worry about it because most of my shots are inside of 25 yards due to the places I hunt. I use the four blade fixed cut on contact Talons with the serrated edges on the main blade. They fly about as straight as my field tips do. However I set up and practice with a used broadhead and don't mess with the sights if I'm shooting my field tips. As long as they group in the same spot I don't care where they land. The cut diameter is narrow however and they don't leave a very good blood trail IMO. I've also taken only 2 deer with them. One was a double lung broadside at 15 yards and I watched it fall at 40 yards. The other I hit further back behind the diaphragm and took out the liver. I found that deer about 300 yards away (as the deer walked) only about 100 yards as the crow flies. It had bled out completely in its bed 3 hours after I took the shot. All the blood was in the body cavity though and came spilling out when I started to core the rectum. I'm thinking of switching to Rage 2 blade heads. My old setup was a PSE Deerhunter 60% letoff that pulled 58 pounds. I shoot Gold Tip XT Hunter carbon arrows. According to the website at 29" which I shoot the arrow weighs with the nock and insert and a 100 grain tip I'm shooting about 367 grains. I'm probably shooting close to that. I don't know for sure which insert I have exactly. I should probably weigh my arrows and find out what the minimum weight is for my bow.

Ehunter
07-06-2011, 06:16 PM
I was broadhead shooting tonight with the setup I plan to take to Wyoming this fall. FC400, 28 3/4 draw,(true draw, not AMO) 70#, 398 gr. arrow total with 100 gr. Shuttle T-Locks. Shooting 298 fps. Most accurate set-up I have found so far. 20 shots in all tonight, all within a 4 inch circle at 70 yards. At 40 yards, I had broadheads touching each other in the target, shooting two arrows at a time. That's plenty accurate for me. lol And I know they leave a good blood trail as I have seen deer shot with them before. Massive entry and exit wounds. 1 1/8th inch cut, but leave a good 2 1/2-3 inch hole in and out.

ftshooter
07-06-2011, 06:51 PM
How was the blood trail!

Bucket trail ....low pass thur pours out both sides

Sorry doubble pic ...That is entry hole doe went 20 yards up a hill that pic is me just walking and taking it...

MLN1963
07-07-2011, 05:45 AM
I was broadhead shooting tonight with the setup I plan to take to Wyoming this fall. FC400, 28 3/4 draw,(true draw, not AMO) 70#, 398 gr. arrow total with 100 gr. Shuttle T-Locks. Shooting 298 fps. Most accurate set-up I have found so far. 20 shots in all tonight, all within a 4 inch circle at 70 yards. At 40 yards, I had broadheads touching each other in the target, shooting two arrows at a time. That's plenty accurate for me. lol And I know they leave a good blood trail as I have seen deer shot with them before. Massive entry and exit wounds. 1 1/8th inch cut, but leave a good 2 1/2-3 inch hole in and out.

Ehunter

How would those t-locks be to sharpen? That seems like the only possible drawback.

HawgEnvy
07-07-2011, 06:37 AM
Bucket trail ....low pass thur pours out both sides

Sorry doubble pic ...That is entry hole doe went 20 yards up a hill that pic is me just walking and taking it...

love the sight of that! I'm using Slick Tricks this year. Athens pushin the 300fps mark, not sure on the Cheetah. Excellent flight

Destroyer
07-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Nicely placed shot ftshooter, well done! :D

Sorry doubble pic

Click the 'Manage Attachments' in the 'Additional Options' box under the main section in the advanced editor and remove one.

Ehunter
07-07-2011, 03:20 PM
MLN,
Forget about using a stone to resharpen them. What I use is a diamond steel. Basically like a half round file that's diamond coated. The kind you see in alot of kitchen knife sets. It seems to lay in the bend of the blades well. It's what I use on just about everything to resharpen. I think I got my last one at Wally World. Just a few swipes, and the blades are ready to go.

dragonsfire311
07-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Crimson Talon XT 100 grain, punches a good hole in animal on both sides

mudpig
01-20-2012, 03:28 AM
I've had really good look with the flight on G5 Montec and the slick trick magnum fly exactly the same.

Spiker
01-20-2012, 05:37 AM
Magnus Buzzcuts and Stingers, both the 2-blade and 4-blade.
346gn arrows right at 300fps.

Jake-the-snake
01-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Im surprised to see the amount of people still using fixed blade heads...good for you guys, they are without a doubt superior to any mechanical.

I use Magnus Buzzcuts 85 grain. I have used slick tricks and rocky mountains in the past with success...Magnus seem to be the best so far though

Im still wondering how you guys get your muzzys to fly with your field points...That was one broadhead that pissed me off soo much.
But, if you can get it to work, all the power to you.

gravedigger
01-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Im surprised to see the amount of people still using fixed blade heads...good for you guys, they are without a doubt superior to any mechanical.

I use Magnus Buzzcuts 85 grain. I have used slick tricks and rocky mountains in the past with success...Magnus seem to be the best so far though

Im still wondering how you guys get your muzzys to fly with your field points...That was one broadhead that pissed me off soo much.
But, if you can get it to work, all the power to you.

my muzzys and fp fly great and i did not really do anything to have them fly straight.one lucky guy right here

in oregon we dont have a choice,it has to be fixed blade.even if we could use others i would not.

wscywabbit
02-01-2012, 02:28 PM
This last season I picked up the Carbon Express F15's, and had no problems grouping with my fpoints. Had to pick different spots at 40 yds because I broke two on each other, and took a fletching off. Unfortunately I didn't get to find out about what kind of blood trail they'll leave but will let you know next season!

Thermodude
02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Steelforce Phatheads...........shot them 315fps with no problems

Wolverine67
02-05-2012, 04:56 AM
Have been looking at Werewolf broadheads. I should wish they could be in 125 gr.
My setup are: Dw: 60#, Dl: 29", Victory v-force 400 arrows.
Do I have do change arrows to shoot the 150gr.? Looks like I am on the borderline to 350 arrows?
One option are the 125gr. Silverflame, but they are expensive!

andy_camping
04-13-2012, 07:08 PM
No problems with these....NAP Hellrazors

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-13-2012, 07:11 PM
No problems with these....NAP Hellrazors
6274Yep can understand why! Cool might have to try those.

Hutch:cool: