PDA

View Full Version : Elite limbs

bigbob29
06-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Hope someone on here can give me some idea on what is going on with my 2001 cougar elite. I bought another set of limbs not long ago, and they were in great lightly used condition. They are marked as having 8m limb deflection.Once fitted I never had a chance to weigh them for D/W before, during practice the module blew up resulting in the limbs ending up nearly straight due to no string . By that I mean they were in the non loaded position. Since I have fitted a new module and after thoroughly checking for cracks [none] it shot accurately but I thought it seemed a bit light so managed to try it on a bow scale. It only went 55# and by my understanding with 8m limbs on that model cougar and a 30'' draw, I should get around 70# maxed out. I am sure the bow weight was heavier before the module let go, yet there are no signs at of damage or cracks. Is it possible for some of the 'preload' in the curved elite limbs to have been weakened?

Destroyer
06-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Once fitted I never had a chance to weigh them for D/W before

This always makes it difficult but if the bow instantly felt lighter then something is up.

Since I have fitted a new module and after thoroughly checking for cracks [none] it shot accurately but I thought it seemed a bit light so managed to try it on a bow scale.

Did you fully relax the bow and make sure the limbs are seated correctly?

It only went 55# and by my understanding with 8m limbs on that model cougar and a 30'' draw, I should get around 70# maxed out.

Check your specs, ATA, brace height and draw length.

bigbob29
07-01-2011, 01:00 AM
'Day Destroyer,
Checked A2A its within 1/8'' [over], d/l is right, and brace height is 1/16'' over, so it stumps me!. I would like to know just what poundage that these limbs should deliver when maxed at 30'' d/l. i know its a fair bit more than 55#

scepterman30x
07-01-2011, 06:52 AM
What cams are on it?

bigbob29
07-01-2011, 05:36 PM
G'day scepterman it has the single fuzion cam.

bigbob29
07-02-2011, 02:56 PM
TTT any one?

Destroyer
07-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Wish I could help you mate but I have no idea what it should be. The only thing I would recommend is to check that you haven't made a mistake when you reassembled the bow like putting the sting on the post that shortens the draw, etc.

Checked A2A its within 1/8'' [over]

You could do something about this. Put 7- 10 (or whatever needed) twists in the cable, that would get the draw weight up and drop the brace height.

bigbob29
07-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Wish I could help you mate but I have no idea what it should be. The only thing I would recommend is to check that you haven't made a mistake when you reassembled the bow like putting the sting on the post that shortens the draw, etc.

You could do something about this. Put 7- 10 (or whatever needed) twists in the cable, that would get the draw weight up and drop the brace height.

Yeah guess its about all I can do.

cjchasman
07-02-2011, 06:55 PM
http://www.martinarchery.com/2010web/chart/2001chart/fury_cam-limb.html

Don't know if this will help.

cj

bigbob29
07-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks cjchasman that is exactly what I wanted. I should be getting 70# with those limbs maxed out at my d/l of 30'' but am only getting 55#.It seems that when the module let go then the resulting 'shock to the limbs although not causing structural defects ie; cracks must have weakened the preload on the curved elite limbs. Thats my take on it, any one wishing to agree or offer other possibilities are most welcome to do so. Just hope the limbs are still up to using, even at the reduced draw weight.

scepterman30x
07-03-2011, 06:42 AM
G'day scepterman it has the single fuzion cam.

You say it is in spec however your bow would be what they call a Frankenbow as I don't recall Martin offering any bow with the combination of Elite limbs and the Fusion cam. So I have no idea what it should be. Good luck.

archerx7
07-03-2011, 10:02 AM
http://www.martinarchery.com/2011/chart/2001chart/F_Zmod-string.html String and cable chart is the only thing I could find for that particular configuration. I think that bow was only made one year with the fuzion cam and elite (xrg) limbs, can't find a limb deflection chart for it anywhere. Check your string and cable lengths and make sure they are still within spec, the module going south on the draw could have damaged the cable, maybe broke some strands under the serving causing the cable to stretch ?

bigbob29
07-03-2011, 04:41 PM
You say it is in spec however your bow would be what they call a Frankenbow as I don't recall Martin offering any bow with the combination of Elite limbs and the Fusion cam. So I have no idea what it should be. Good luck.

Actually as archerx7 said it was made, even if for one year with Fusion cam. Serving on cable seems completely undisturbed. Probably gonna put in the too hard basket and shoot it with a hard hat and protective goggles!

Destroyer
07-03-2011, 07:09 PM
maybe broke some strands under the serving causing the cable to stretch ?

Would be easy to tell, the specs would keep changing, especially the ATA would increase.

Probably gonna put in the too hard basket

If it was my bow, no way I could leave it alone. If only you weighed the bow before all this happened. ;)

bigbob29
07-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Never weighed it destroyer but I know it was a heck of a lot heavier than it is. I mean it should be somewhere around 70# with the bolts screwed down as they are at the moment, but only shows 55# on scales. I did have it almost screwed down before and at a pretty good 'gestimate' it would have been at least 65# as that is what my hunting bow is and it felt the same.I might dis- assemble it in the next few days when I get the chance and have a real good look at every thing.

Destroyer
07-04-2011, 03:10 AM
I know it was a heck of a lot heavier than it is

I believe you mate, between 55# and 65#, you can feel there is a difference. I just hope your not right about the internal damage but if its all together fine and all the strings are fine then it doesn't leave much except for the limbs.

Not good, not good. :(

bigbob29
07-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Just noticed that the cam is slightly over rotated, even though the string length is fairly close and the cable is maybe 1/4'' long . That may take up little of the rotation but not the draw weight, well not 15# anyway. Couple days time I will put it on my press and pull it apart and really have a good look at things.

Destroyer
07-05-2011, 02:22 AM
Couple days time I will put it on my press and pull it apart and really have a good look at things.

Hope you can find something easy to fix. I'd say 'and have fun' but stuffing around when there is a bad problem is never fun.

scepterman30x
07-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Just noticed that the cam is slightly over rotated, even though the string length is fairly close and the cable is maybe 1/4'' long . That may take up little of the rotation but not the draw weight, well not 15# anyway. Couple days time I will put it on my press and pull it apart and really have a good look at things.
Take up the 1/4" in excess cable and you will be surprised.

bigbob29
07-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Well I pulled the bow down and found---- diddly squat. Compared the degree of bend and geometric outlines with others I have and identical. I have twisted the cable up 1/4'' and bow definitely seems a little heavier [ draw weight wise] Cant get to a bow scale for a few days but will check it out then.Feel a little happier.

Destroyer
07-06-2011, 10:41 PM
I have twisted the cable up 1/4'' and bow definitely seems a little heavier

Draw length ok?

Good that your feeling better about it mate. :)

bigbob29
07-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Seeing as I cant remember the exact length of the shafts[ comes from being senior and owning 3 bows] just going by overhang in front of rest, if anything it might have lengthened a tad. I still can take that up on the next post on the cam.I will be interested in what weight it is now just the same.

bigbob29
07-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Just thought I would offer this last update if any one is interested . When I pulled down the bow I actually swapped one limb for an undamaged one I had from a previous set with the same deflection code [ 8m] I felt it was a reasonable amount higher in draw weight , and so had a few shots without checking tiller, nock point etc. Yeah I know but thats how I do things, upside down and inside out. Anyhow, it shot to the left so I decided to do a few checks and checked tiller for one. To get it at even tiller [ single cam] I had to back out the 'new' limb nearly 1/8'' while the other limb was screwed down to max.This seems to me to suggest that when the module let go then the limbs indeed suffered some weakening even though this is not apparent comparing them visually with others.Have any one here had, or heard of a similar event happening? The limbs definitely have no structural faults at any point, yet must have 'lost' some of their preset or the like.

bigbob29
07-09-2011, 11:35 PM
TTT:confused:

Destroyer
07-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Did you weight it with the new limb?

bigbob29
07-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Havent been able to yet, will be a couple of days before i can, but it may be a little heavier. It all seems very weird.

Destroyer
07-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Can do your head in for sure. ;)

bigbob29
07-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Last bit of detail, put it on scales today, and only went 56#! I am at a loss to understand it unless it is as I surmised. The limbs in some way must have been weakened by the module cracking up from the shock. As I said there is no cracks or any sign of distress to the limbs, but the fact that the limb I put on which was the other half of a previous pair which had the other damaged by a dry fire, has to be backed out nearly 1/8'' to obtain zero tiller compared to the limb that was on when the module let go being maxed out.If it was wound in and the other was equal then I might get a bit over 60#, still a long way from the 70# I thought I should get.Any one else had limbs weakened by trauma or shock but not cracked?

Destroyer
07-12-2011, 12:50 AM
still a long way from the 70#

Yeah just too much of a difference. Might be time to give up on it. :confused: