PDA

View Full Version : Problem with cheetah initial setup

blindk9
07-01-2011, 02:10 AM
Hello, thanks for your responses in advance. I just purchased a new Cheetah. I added a truglo sight left everything else pretty much factory specs, I put a few arrows thru it and all the shots starting at appx 10yds were just diving into ground far short of target. Everything looks squared and level, granted I haven't had time to really eliminate all possible problems but that is frustrating because I lowered the sight fixture but it couldn't go low enough to adjust? Any good advice ? Thx

Money Man
07-01-2011, 03:42 AM
You may need to move your peep sight. Try this: nock an arrow and draw the bow with your eyes closed. Keep you eyes closed and imagine a target infront of you at shoulder height (this should keep your bow level). Open your eyes and see where the peep is. If you are not looking through it, you need to move it. I hope this helps.

droppixel
07-01-2011, 04:52 AM
You may need to move your peep sight. Try this: nock an arrow and draw the bow with your eyes closed. Keep you eyes closed and imagine a target infront of you at shoulder height (this should keep your bow level). Open your eyes and see where the peep is. If you are not looking through it, you need to move it. I hope this helps.

This and check your center shot after you are done. May need to adjust nocking point and/or rest alignment. Better possibility that it is peep alignment than anything else. Start there and work to the next steps of tuning.

Destroyer
07-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Something is not right here for sure. Even those that have problems with their sight can shoot 10 yards fine and your setup is dropping well short that? :eek: :confused:

So did you setup the nocking point & rest or was that done for you? Is there a peep on the string? And what draw weight, draw length and arrows are you shooting?

blindk9
07-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I took it to good guy Me and my son deal with at BPS. He looked at it and figured it right away, the Truglo sight could not lower anymore so he flipped the horizontal arm that holds the ring portion, Viola..now I had enough room to adjust the elevation up or down in my case. So it appears the mounting holes on the brace are drilled a little higher than most bows. I shot quite a few eastons thru it and got it dialed in. Can't wait to shoot at a little longer range Tommorow.

droppixel
07-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah I read over this and thought shots were falling 10 short - not from 10 yards. A 10 yard shot should happen so fast there should be no way for it to hit the ground unless you are pointing right at the ground. Something has to be off when the nocking point I would think - if you think it is square and you are level when shooting but the arrow is just coming off in a downward direction that is a problem. If your peep is too high (trying to see this in my head) your shot would be low as you are having to compensate brining the bow down to match up peep/sight. I don't know - but would be curious to see how this works out.

More info - arrows/length/draw weight/draw length and other things that would be important to know about the bow could probably help guys figure it out better than me.

Destroyer
07-01-2011, 10:01 PM
the Truglo sight could not lower anymore so he flipped the horizontal arm that holds the ring portion,

Most of the sights these days don't have that feature so we assume that 'can't get the pins down lower' actually means that the arrow will hit if it goes any lower. But anyway, good to here that you fixed the problem and welcome to the forum! :)

More info - arrows/length/draw weight/draw length and other things that would be important to know about the bow could probably help guys figure it out

Yes. I'm thinking that it would be good to have a sticky like 'Before you ask a question - Please Read here'.

droppixel
07-02-2011, 03:02 AM
Good to hear it is better, looks like I was reading through this again and typing another post while you were posting before me ;)

For Destroyer, that sticky option might not be a bad idea - especially for more "tech" type questions when it comes to personal bow and set-up. Other general questions, I am sure that wouldn't be necessary.

Arrow Splitter
07-02-2011, 05:37 AM
For Destroyer, that sticky option might not be a bad idea - especially for more "tech" type questions when it comes to personal bow and set-up. Other general questions, I am sure that wouldn't be necessary.I'll have Dad look into putting up a sticky. Good idea, Destroyer.

A.S

Destroyer
07-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Thank you A.S sir. :) droppixel, agree.

Arrow Splitter
07-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Take a look at the stickies.

Destroyer
07-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Excellent!

blindk9
07-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Thx for the replies. Right now I'm lovin this Cheetah I got it sighted like this. 20 yds top pin, and 10yds for each additional pin below it. It shoots great and I'm amazed how much power it has utilizing the parallel limb design. Anyway I'm lookin forward to hog hunting to start off with before my son attempt deer.
2011 cheetah
68#
29" DL

peace
07-04-2011, 05:16 AM
It seems that some sights are packaged in whatever configuration is easiest to manufacture and package. I went to setup a new extreme sight the other day and I was shooting eight inches high. I started adjusting and after about four adjustments of an eventually extreme nature I was still shooting eight inches high. No movement at all. I was very perplexed and started second guessing myself. I didn't think that the sight's configuration was extremely set on one end of its spectrum. Took and moved one of the vertical housing alignment screws and extended the configuration and I was in the ball park.

Wa-La! from Walla Walla! It's X busting Time!

mywayfla
09-01-2011, 07:37 PM
:cool: I am so glad I found this post about arrows hitting too low! I took my first shot with my new Martin Cheetah today and the exact same thing happened. The bow came out of the box with everything installed on it. Whisker biscuit, tru glo sight, stabilizer, peep, and D loop. Everything seemed to be perfectly centered and aligned properly. However,the hand grip was spit down the middle on the front of the riser right out of the box. Today the seller said he would send me a new grip. So I went out to try my first shot from 10 yards, using only one of the three pins set in the middle of the sight circle. The arrow went into the dirt in front of the target! I moved the sight window down in several steps about as far as it would go, but was still hitting low. Gave up for the day when it started to rain, plus the heat index was about 102! When I found this forum and the same problem, I looked at my sight a little closer, and I can see that flipping the mounting bracket would lower the sight window dramatically! Can't wait till tomorrow to try that! I think the person who assembled the bow put it on BACKWARDS! or UPSIDE DOWN or whatever you want to call it! The sight says APEX gear on it, and has a weird dogleg mounting bracket, which would make your sight window too high if mounted the wrong way! SPECS: 30" draw, 60lb, 30" axle to axle, shooting 29" arrow rated 45-70lb,2" vanes..

Destroyer
09-02-2011, 03:04 AM
has a weird dogleg mounting bracket, which would make your sight window too high if mounted the wrong way!

Can help putting it up high in some circumstances but for most its not correct. Good to hear this thread has helped you and hope you enjoy shooting your new bow.

Welcome to the forum. :)

bfisher
09-02-2011, 04:40 AM
:cool: I am so glad I found this post about arrows hitting too low! I took my first shot with my new Martin Cheetah today and the exact same thing happened. The bow came out of the box with everything installed on it. Whisker biscuit, tru glo sight, stabilizer, peep, and D loop. Everything seemed to be perfectly centered and aligned properly. However,the hand grip was spit down the middle on the front of the riser right out of the box. Today the seller said he would send me a new grip. So I went out to try my first shot from 10 yards, using only one of the three pins set in the middle of the sight circle. The arrow went into the dirt in front of the target! I moved the sight window down in several steps about as far as it would go, but was still hitting low. Gave up for the day when it started to rain, plus the heat index was about 102! When I found this forum and the same problem, I looked at my sight a little closer, and I can see that flipping the mounting bracket would lower the sight window dramatically! Can't wait till tomorrow to try that! I think the person who assembled the bow put it on BACKWARDS! or UPSIDE DOWN or whatever you want to call it! The sight says APEX gear on it, and has a weird dogleg mounting bracket, which would make your sight window too high if mounted the wrong way! SPECS: 30" draw, 60lb, 30" axle to axle, shooting 29" arrow rated 45-70lb,2" vanes..

Is that a typo I see? Martin doesn't make any 45-70 bows. I hope you meant 55-70 or 45-60. And let us know how you make out by flipping the sight mount over.

mywayfla
09-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Hey guys! Thanks for the welcome! Sorry for the confusion on the 45lb-70lb. I was referring to the arrows I bought at Wal Mart. They have a sticker on them that says "CARBON EXACTA" #90829A.....29".... 45-70lbs. They have camo that matches the Cheetah, the full length of the arrow, but no other markings or name brand. Anybody have any info on these? There was only 6 left in the store ,And after looking at all the other choices, I bought these. Since the Cheetah is rated so fast(315-320fps) I thought the little extra rating would work just fine. I didn't want to get arrows that might be too "wimpy". Anyway, after flipping the sight mounting bracket,the sight window was right where it should of been. re centered the window, put the green pin in top position.(I like green on top, yellow in the middle, and red on bottom. ....easy shot , medium shot, hard shot.) 20-30-40 yards. First shot, 10 yards was almost perfect! (a little high). Only shot 6 times today, 10 to15 yards, but was right on the money every shot.( had to start the grill for some bar b Q chicken,with grilled pineapple slices.) Mm Mm Good! This is my first time shooting carbon arrows. Have been shooting an "old school" Browning Trophy Magnum ll. with aluminum arrows for many years, and I really like it a lot, but I wanted to try something "NEW". Got to keep the juices flowing! Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend all !!!

HawgEnvy
09-02-2011, 05:38 PM
what? No Onions? you're banned!

Destroyer
09-02-2011, 08:10 PM
45-70lbs.

Quite a range those arrows.

Arrow Splitter
09-03-2011, 05:24 AM
what? No Onions? you're banned!LOL! Good one.:D

MLN1963
09-03-2011, 06:01 AM
I saw these $3 arrows at WM yesterday. Very generic with no info as to the spine deflection. The vanes looked kinda cheap but that was the only negative that stood out. They didn't look that bad for the price and I may buy my kid some to use with his judo points and snaros. If they get beat up or lost no problem.

mywayfla
09-04-2011, 12:15 AM
You don't use onions with chicken! You use PINEAPPLE! Onions are for STEAKS! LOL....About the $3.00 arrows at Wal Mart....I don't think those are what I got. I paid $4.50 each for mine! It would be nice to have more spec info on them, but I thought they would be a good starting point. I, a little disappointed in the noise level of the new Cheetah, but I haven't added any silencers on it yet. I guess I'll have to go over to the "how to get rid of noise thread"! ha ha:

Destroyer
09-04-2011, 01:24 AM
I saw these $3 arrows at WM yesterday. Very generic with no info as to the spine deflection.

At that price it would be worth trying a few. :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-04-2011, 02:40 AM
I saw these $3 arrows at WM yesterday. Very generic with no info as to the spine deflection. The vanes looked kinda cheap but that was the only negative that stood out. They didn't look that bad for the price and I may buy my kid some to use with his judo points and snaros. If they get beat up or lost no problem.They are made by Allen. If they kill a deer and you loose one woopeeeee! $3. plus broadhead vs $8-$10 plus broadhead ouch!!!

Hutch:cool:

MLN1963
09-04-2011, 06:28 AM
mywayfla

I bought two of the carbon exacta 31" arrows for me son to try. They were $3 an arrow here, so your store must have higher rent to pay. If he hits a log or something while trying to shoot a rabbit or armadillo and breaks it no problem. The Judo Point Condor tip costs more than arrow.

mywayfla
09-04-2011, 10:53 AM
MLN1963 Are the ones you bought black or camo? Mine are a great looking camo that matches my new Martin Cheetah perfectly! Been shooting them only a couple days, but almost split the nocks a couple times already! Have to aim at different spots on the target so as not to split my new "EXACTA's". LOL Do a Google search on "CARBON EXACTA". There is some interesting info there.

MLN1963
09-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I bought the black carbon ones because that is what my son likes, they match his other arrows. They had the camo ones in the same box for the same $3.

My google searches didn't turn up much, mostly questions.