PDA

View Full Version : Arrow ?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-04-2011, 01:52 PM
What causes fishtailing in my arrows for the first 15' of flight. Is it because they are too stiff.
Arrow are Pro series V-maxx by Blackhawk. 4000 = 55-70 @ 27" 100gr. points. weighing 415gr.

Hutch:cool:

Destroyer
07-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Fishtailing is usually caused by a low nocking point.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Fishtailing is usually caused by a low nocking point.In my experience that would cause porpoising, not fishtailing. Fishtailing is side to side. Porpoising is up and down.

Ehunter
07-05-2011, 03:27 AM
I'd say it's the rest. Needs to be moved slightly one way or the other. I did run into a situation where only one arrow out of 6 was fishtailing, and nock tuning cured that. Is it all your arrows, or just a few? One other thing that I'm just throwing out there for everyone is, fletching color combinations can make it look like an arrow is fishtailing when it's actually not. Certain color combinations give the illusion of fishtail.

alex
07-05-2011, 08:48 AM
The arrows shot from a compound bow fly too fast for me to tell if something's wrong just by looking. But i'd say an overspined arrow won't cause fishtailing.

cyclepath
07-05-2011, 10:10 AM
I would say that if you are seeing the flight of your arrows then you are either torquing your bow or pushing it to the side. There is no way you should be able to see the flight of your arrow the first 15' if your form is correct. Justa thought.

wscywabbit
07-05-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm not familiar with the arrows your using, and I could see an arrow that is too limber causing fishtailing in recovery, but not too stiff. So my thought would also be rest failure or centershot is off. Are any of your fletchings making contact with something (rest, riser, etc.) kicking it to the side and forcing a recovery after the fact?

Destroyer
07-05-2011, 04:36 PM
In my experience that would cause porpoising, not fishtailing. Fishtailing is side to side. Porpoising is up and down.

With single cam bows a low nocking point can cause 'side to side', did on my Bear. All I did was raise the nocking point and it settled down. Don't know if it was to do with nock travel but it seemed to work.

Does it happen every shot or just occasionally?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-05-2011, 04:41 PM
I am thinking it was occasionally. But to be honest I would have to check them again. Also nocking point is right. I guess the next thing is to check vane clearance. Time for the foot spray!:rolleyes:

HUTCH:cool:

Destroyer
07-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Good thinking on the spray. If its occasionally it can be hard to diagnose, form, collisions and a 'bad arrow' can cause fishtailing.

gravedigger
07-05-2011, 06:39 PM
ive been shoting 7595or i think a 350 spine arrow from 55 to 73 lbs and i have not seen any weird arrow flight.and i shoot goodish,i still have to comp for my shaky right hand,but i get inthe kll zone.i do know what your talking about with that movement.i think i see it but i have had 4 people stand around me and say they dont see what i see.

Ehunter
07-06-2011, 06:06 PM
One way to check fishtailing would be to shoot through several sheets of paper spaced a couple feet apart. 6-8-10-12 feet or so. Then look at the tears. That would give a definite sign of anything strange going on during arrow flight. Or space them out further if you have the chance, 5-10-15 yards......Tears might not be as predominant as it looks without the paper, but it should show any fishtail. Guessing the paper might straighten the arrow out some as it flies through....

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-17-2011, 03:39 AM
I posted 2 threads one on draw length, and this one one arrows fishtailing. Well they were the same problem. Seems that the draw length was not set right. And I did not know that it could be pulled beyond the flat spot in the module. Kind of an overdraw. That caused the string to ride over the end of the module and then when the string was released it would let the arrow fly erratic. Now with the right module in it and the draw stop set properly. I have no more issues with the arrows.

Ehunter
07-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Hutch, glad to hear you got it figured out.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Hutch, glad to hear you got it figured out.Thanks it is nice to put a few hundred rounds through it.