PDA

View Full Version : What was your first car?

Sharxfan
07-08-2011, 10:18 AM
AS's thread got me thinking that maybe we should do a first car thread for everyone else. Since it was my idea I will start off.

I don't have picture right now but my first car was a '70 Dodge Challenger. It was green with a white vinyl top ( I hated that damn roof totally ruined the look of the car) and it had a 318ci engine. Now that I look back on it it may not have been the best first car for me as I still don't know how I made it past 18 in it.

On a side note I was brought home from the hospital in that car and I was one weekend from bringing my girls home from the hospital in it. I had planned it all out and I was going to work on it that weekend but there was a doctors appointment during the week and while I was at work I got a call saying they were coming and to get my A$$ home now and never got a chance to get the car running. They were 1.5 months early which is common with twins I hear but I wish someone had thought to tell me that before they were born.

Double S
07-08-2011, 10:45 AM
My first car was a 1983 Honda accord. My father bought it for me. It had a rebuilt engine. One day, driving north back into San Diego from Tijuana. The Engine oil decided to remove itself from the Engine. :mad: The Engine was a loss. I ended up selling it to a neighbor DIY engine mechanic.

I then went out and bought my first car...a 82 Old Cutlass Supreme. I had some great memories in that car ;) I wish I still had it.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-08-2011, 10:47 AM
I had a 1969 Toyota corolla. Fixed it up and drove it everywhere.

Hutch:cool:

MLN1963
07-08-2011, 10:48 AM
1969 Chevy Impala Coupe.

Ford
07-08-2011, 12:10 PM
67 ford ranchero. Completely redone by my grandfather, 302, custom black paint with gold flake, leather interior, lowered 3 inches. My grandfather gave it to me when I was 15. Never made it out of the garage much, hard to keep a hot rod running making minimum wage as a teenager. Its up for sale now, sits in the garage to much, want someone to enjoy it before it goes to much down hill.
My first car I owned and drove every day was a 98 hyundia tiburon, bought when I was 16, with hard earned money made at mcdonalds, lumber yards, farms, and anywhere else that would hire a 15 yr old. Started with 52,000 miles and I drove it to the junkyard with 185,000, 8 yrs later. No major issues or repairs, still running well, but needed to much work to keep on the road, not worth selling. Loved that car, and I beat on it bad, held up well.

HawgEnvy
07-08-2011, 01:49 PM
'76 old cutlass supreme w a swapped in gold series "rocket" 350. Red w black top,black interior, cragar ss rims,regular tires in the front,wide ones in the rear. The trunk held plenty of beer and the backseat held plenty of ladies:cool: I worked as a dishwasher and saved my cash. One of the waiters gave me a ride home in it one night and I HAD to have it. My momma wasn't thrilled that I bought a hot rod,but daddy sure was.

Speedykills
07-08-2011, 03:46 PM
My first vehicle was a 1952 chevy pickup.Had a stright 6,grany gear,baby moons,loved that truck.Just like bows a sold it to buy something else.

bigredhunter00
07-08-2011, 04:01 PM
my first car was an 84 f150 with 300 inline 6 cylinder. Even with bald ass tires it would still go anywhere my pops jeep would go.

Destroyer
07-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Mine was a 1966 HR Holden. Same model as this but not in the same condition, different color.

wscywabbit
07-08-2011, 08:46 PM
1977 Chrysler Cordoba, similar to the pick below. I'd have to dig through my photo album to find an actual pic. I worked all summer and saved up $500, which my dad matched and we bought the car when I was 15. It was white with white leather interior, a sunroof, and big block 400 v8. Wasn't real fast off of the line, but would flat move when you kicked in the passing gear. I grew up in a small farming town surrounded by wheat fields, and I thought I was in the Dukes of Hazard or something. If my parents knew of all the crap I put that car through on those gravel roads, they would have never let me out :D. I look back now and thank God I'm alive.... What a great car, sometimes I wish I still had it :(

NuttyNative
07-08-2011, 09:22 PM
62 Chevy II Nova SS, 2 door hardtop. 4 bolt 350, Muncie 4 speed with a vetrical gate shifter. Flat packed the mail!!!!!!
Second car, 1961 Impala 2 door bubbletop, 409, 3X2's, and a 4 speed.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-09-2011, 01:14 AM
62 Chevy II Nova SS, 2 door hardtop. 4 bolt 350, Muncie 4 speed with a vetrical gate shifter. Flat packed the mail!!!!!!
Second car, 1961 Impala 2 door bubbletop, 409, 3X2's, and a 4 speed.Now those are real cars! About my fourth car I had a 1969 Pontiac Fire-bird with a 350 big block, they only made 650 of these motors. That car was insane.

Hutch:cool:

Sharxfan
07-09-2011, 10:02 AM
My second car was a 1973 Dodge Challenger that had another 318 in it. That did not last long I replaced it with a tricked out 340 and I dropped the front to the ground it was very fast. I actually pulled a burn out all the way over an overpass and I later found out that only half the cylinders were working as one of the oil galley plugs was not in so the lifters on one side were not working correctly. Once that got fixed I raced an older 911 and we were neck and neck the whole way. I loved that car but I sold it later to get something more fuel efficient. My wife tried to find that car and buy it back for our anniversary one year but we could not find the guy who bought it from me. She said if I ever tried to sell my '70 she would gut me in my sleep. Gotta love her.

Simple Life
07-09-2011, 10:50 AM
79 Mustang,got me to point A and B,wasn't pretty but got the job done;)

Rangerj
07-12-2011, 03:22 PM
1969 Camaro SS,350 4BBl Auto.Burgundy with a Black vinyl top.No A/C got awful hot in the summer but it would scat.:rolleyes:

Destroyer
07-12-2011, 04:55 PM
1969 Camaro SS,350 4BBl Auto.

Always wanted a Camaro , black, but not at the price they bring here. :(

Rangerj
07-12-2011, 05:03 PM
I found the original invoice last year for my Camaro,The sticker price in 1969 was $3840.00 or very close to that. My payments were $80.00 per month and parents paid insurance.Those were good days.

peace
07-17-2011, 11:59 AM
I was sixteen and it was the first of four cars my dad gave me that year....my brother got five...my Dad sold used cars and used auto parts in Lebanon Valley, NY just a 1/2 mile from the drags and race track. We had an Agway gas station. Those were good times. Gas was $.27 a gallon...when it went to $.33 we were flabbergasted. I think it was in 1969.
My Galaxie was all black with gold trim and chrome...

Sharxfan
07-17-2011, 06:01 PM
SHWEEEEEEEEET ride peace. Love them oldies.

Money Man
07-17-2011, 06:26 PM
I was sixteen and it was the first of four cars my dad gave me that year....my brother got five...my Dad sold used cars and used auto parts in Lebanon Valley, NY just a 1/2 mile from the drags and race track. We had an Agway gas station. Those were good times. Gas was $.27 a gallon...when it went to $.33 we were flabbergasted. I think it was in 1969.
My Galaxie was all black with gold trim and chrome...

Small world Peace... I grew up on the other side of the mountain. I used to be able to hear the dirt track and drag strip from my back yard.

peace
07-18-2011, 02:31 AM
Small world Peace... I grew up on the other side of the mountain. I used to be able to hear the dirt track and drag strip from my back yard.

Small World indeed, yeah in the summer Friday and Saturday nights it was the dirt track and Sundays sometimes you could hear Big Daddy Don Garlits or Shirley Muldowney and their rigs....every teenager in Lebanon seemed to work there except us. Every now and then we would get to go to the track...but my old man gave me and my brother a section of land for our own dirt track...we had fun with our field cars. Cut the back roof off of a '58 Chevy station wagon and made an El Camino before there were any LOL. It was a great utility vehicle for around the gas station and used parts lot.

We used to have a farm on Route 66 East Nassau, it eventually became a camp grounds. I wanted to bow hunt but the old man wanted meat on the table quick so I was only allowed to gun hunt. He felt bowhunting consumed too much time from the farm and family businesses. Stalk and Still hunting was the name of the game back then for us. Bow hunters did cool stuff like hunt from self made blinds. Tree stands were just coming out it seemed.

Back then you couldn't tell opening day of hunting season from the Fourth of July, :cool: Those were the days of rifle racks in pickups and for some reason if you got a 8,10 or 12 pointer you seemed to find a reason to ride all over the county with it tied on your vehicle before you ever got home with it. :cool: