PDA

View Full Version : Just about done setting this bow up, need HELP!

peace
07-09-2011, 05:19 AM
Well I purchased this old new stock 03 Cougar III Magnum in mint condition never had been setup. I have cleaned the cam grooves and the axles, put on a new string, and tried setting up the ATA and BH. The specs from the 'O3 catalog call for a 36-1/2" ATA and a 6-7/8" BH, the bow came set at 30" draw I have replaced the F-6 mod with a F-7 mod to get a 31" DL and have tried every twist and turn of cable and string and cannot get a 36-1/2" ATA the best I was able to produce was a 36-1/4" ATA but this created a 6-1/8" BH.

So then I sought to get the BH to spec and got 6-7/8" BH but this yielded a 35-7/8" ATA. I am just about done and I am thinking to leave it here if this is not a problem. Anyone have a take on this?

The limbs are Magnum limbs 14" 5M the max poundage of the Bow is 70.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-09-2011, 05:41 AM
What does the bottom Limb sticker say it is supposed to be for shoot and cable?
What I just learned from archerx7 is what ever that sticker say is what it should be. Some times martin doesn't have the correct specs on their site.
Also a draw weight scale, would show you if you have the right dw. The max you should have is 72-73lbs. This would show you if the cable and string are close.
My bow is a little under the correct ATA but every thing else is perfect.

Hutch:cool:

peace
07-09-2011, 06:16 AM
Weight 55-70#
Letoff HL
String 94"
Cable 39"
Draw 30"

There are no ATA or BH specs on the label....the string was made to spec. My concern is whether or not having the correct ATA measurement will affect the limbs or cause the bow to explode or something??? The new string and cable are astro flight which haven't shown any give. Maybe the original spec included a 1/4" of give for stretch. I don't know. This stuff hasn't moved a 1/16th.
The catalog and module spec sheet from Martin all show ATA 36-1/2" and BH 6-7/8" and I can't get near the ATA but by a 1/4" and that is with a crazy BH 6-1/8".

I wish I knew what Martin considered setup tolerances; plus or minus whatever?

The Bow was assembled by Steve Papp, wonder if he is still around :o

ftshooter
07-09-2011, 07:25 AM
So then I sought to get the BH to spec and got 6-7/8" BH but this yielded a 35-7/8" ATA. I am just about done and I am thinking to leave it here if this is not a problem. Anyone have a take on this?

That is what I would do ...as long as the cam is setting good it shoots good draw lt fits etc...I would leave it alone,I can never seem to get my bows right on the specs close ..I think, they take into account when designing a bow that they will not always be in spec and as a safety measure allow for that ..I think you would be ok..but, maybe someone more qualified will post....

peace
07-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the insight ftshooter as I am just trying to get some sort of understanding. I think I am just going to let the bow speak and whatever she says that is where I will leave her.

Jake-the-snake
07-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Specs are there to get you close. Most pro shooters dont even have their bows exactly to spec. They find that their particular bow performs better with a slightly longer BH, or a slightly longer A2A. It doesnt have to be perfect...Now if everything was off by a couple inches, then I would be concerned.
I personally dont shoot any of my bows at the specs from the factory.
Stop worrying about it, and enjoy the bow.

peace
07-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Specs are there to get you close. Most pro shooters dont even have their bows exactly to spec. They find that their particular bow performs better with a slightly longer BH, or a slightly longer A2A. It doesnt have to be perfect...Now if everything was off by a couple inches, then I would be concerned.
I personally dont shoot any of my bows at the specs from the factory.
Stop worrying about it, and enjoy the bow.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear!

Jake-the-snake
07-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Is your bow setup with the Dyna cam? If so, it should be one smooootthhh killer. Ive only ever shot one bow, one time, with that cam. Thought it was the best single cam offering at the time.

Man law: We need pics

peace
07-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Is your bow setup with the Dyna cam? If so, it should be one smooootthhh killer. Ive only ever shot one bow, one time, with that cam. Thought it was the best single cam offering at the time.

Man law: We need pics

No its got the one previous but similar, the Fuzion. Still the bow shoots dead in my hand, the draw could be better but the shot is excellent, no vibration, no noise, no jump.

Jake-the-snake
07-09-2011, 09:06 AM
No its got the one previous but similar, the Fuzion. Still the bow shoots dead in my hand, the draw could be better but the shot is excellent, no vibration, no noise, no jump.

About the draw...by far the stiffest i have ever felt in a single cam. i couldnt pull my dad's back when he had a Rage. That thing was crazy fast and quiet though...

HawgEnvy
07-09-2011, 12:01 PM
I love the feel of the fuzion cam. I had one on my Jaguar. Had the nitrous C's on my C3 cougar mag and prefer the draw of the fuzion cam. My C3 was in spec @ 36.5"/6 7/8 bh. Shoot it. If it feels good,dont worry bout it.

peace
07-10-2011, 04:23 AM
A 6-1/4" BH with a 36" ATA, could probably drop the BH another 1/8 and get the ATA up to 36-1/4" but I am near the sweet spot of this bow where it is. Someone once posted a revised BH for this bow of 6.125 BH and I know that is possible, I have taken her there again, but now with the new F-7 Module in place I am just going to work on the DL and be content.

It's good to know that HawgEnvy was able to get his to spec, I think this may be the reason this bow set for 8 years and was never set up. Maybe the limbs have got a set in them, don't even know if that is possible, just thinking out loud. I like the fact that this bow has taken me to school on bow setup. I have taken this down like I would a firearm. I have never owned a firearm I didn't completely take apart then clean and put back together before firing. So now I am learning to apply the same discipline to a bow.

Now working on as Howard Hill says, "becoming the arrow." LOL!

Money Man
07-10-2011, 05:36 AM
I have an 02 Cougar Mag and my sticker has similar specs on it; string 94, cable 39, but mine is 50-65 lbs. I am currently shooting the F-7 module 31" DL at 66 lbs. Mine also has the Fuzion cam. The website listed the following specs for the 2002; ATA 36, BH 6 7/8. Mine measured ATA 36 1/8 and BH 6 5/8 when I put new strings on it last month.

peace
07-10-2011, 05:49 AM
I have an 02 Cougar Mag and my sticker has similar specs on it; string 94, cable 39, but mine is 50-65 lbs. I am currently shooting the F-7 module 31" DL at 66 lbs. Mine also has the Fuzion cam. The website listed the following specs for the 2002; ATA 36, BH 6 7/8. Mine measured ATA 36 1/8 and BH 6 5/8 when I put new strings on it last month.

Wow! That is interesting, somehow I believe that I need to be around 36" plus or minus an eighth for the ATA which the 02 is showing, but I definitely have an 03 riser, and there is no way I am getting to a 36-1/2" ATA. Good to see the variance. I have the F-7 set at the #2 peg for the straight up 31" DL but I haven't yet verified if that is what I am getting.

Money Man
07-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Wow! That is interesting, somehow I believe that I need to be around 36" plus or minus an eighth for the ATA which the 02 is showing, but I definitely have an 03 riser, and there is no way I am getting to a 36-1/2" ATA. Good to see the variance. I have the F-7 set at the #2 peg for the straight up 31" DL but I haven't yet verified if that is what I am getting.

Mine is also set on the #2 peg. My measurements may change a little, as we were not too concerned about being right on spec at first because the string and cable were both brand new and we thought they may move a little as the string settled. Now that I have shot it quite a bit, I am pretty sure the string did not move (nice job Hutch). So just a little bit of twisting/untwisting and we will be all set. When ever I get around to that I'll let you know how my measurements come out.