PDA

View Full Version : Quick Peep Survey

Destroyer
07-11-2011, 07:26 PM
What peep(s) do you currently use and what size?

I'm using G5 Meta peep's in 1/8" for target and 3/16" for hunting.

Ehunter
07-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Both 2001 bows have Fletcher True Peeps in 3/16ths. Older bows both have Proview angled peeps in 9/64ths. I like the Fletchers better.

bfisher
07-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Presently am using Specialty peeps with 1/4" #5 Verifier lenses in both my Rytera bows. Most times I use these or Fletcher True Peeps. 1/8" to 1/4" depending on the string angle and/or setup requirements.

Speedykills
07-12-2011, 02:37 AM
Generic peep and tube,3/16 .

Arrow Splitter
07-12-2011, 03:29 AM
G5 Meta, 1/4"

Money Man
07-12-2011, 05:29 AM
tubed peep in 1/4"...for now

NeilMac
07-12-2011, 05:44 AM
True Peep 1/16"

elkslayer4x5
07-12-2011, 05:52 AM
1/8 Speciality peep with #6 verifier on the field/3D bow and a 1/4 hooded Speciality with a #5 verifier on the hunter. :cool:

cjchasman
07-12-2011, 05:56 AM
OMP quadro 3/16 and 1/4's. One Fletcher 3/16

wick
07-12-2011, 06:38 AM
RAD, Maxim 38 with a 3/16 aperture. gotta use a tube, my string still rotates a little.

NY_Bowhunter
07-12-2011, 07:51 AM
1/8" G5 peep

wscywabbit
07-12-2011, 11:32 AM
1/4" G5 Meta

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-12-2011, 11:40 AM
7/64" fits perfect for my pro hunter sight. Which has a smaller outer ring.

HUTCH:cool:

Rangerj
07-12-2011, 03:02 PM
One Red Eye Peep, and one G5 Meta, both 1/4 inch

Destroyer
07-12-2011, 09:55 PM
So a few Fletcher's still being used, some G5's and a few others. I expected to see more G5's due to the 'speed increase' that they claim. Size is interesting to, I might start a new thread with a poll to see it more easily.

1/8 Speciality peep with #6 verifier on the field/3D bow and a 1/4 hooded Speciality with a #5 verifier on the hunter. :cool:

WELCOME BACK MATE!!! :D

NeilMac
07-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Regarding size, I think it depends on the sight used and the bows use.

To comply with NFAS rules, I only use a 5 pin sight. No magnification or clarifier lenses are allowed. I tried a smaller diameter peep, but once in heavy woodland or dark conditions, it's almost impossible to see the sight pins, so although 1/16" is a little large, I can live with it.

I know other archers who use pins / lenses / clarifiers etc who cannot cope with anything less than 1/4"; for me, that would be like looking through a huge round window, and I would be better off without.

Arrow Splitter
07-13-2011, 05:04 AM
Regarding size, I think it depends on the sight used and the bows use.

x2 Right on!

archerx7
07-13-2011, 05:21 AM
Fletcher 3/16 on the AX and a 3/16 RedEye on the Onza

bfisher
07-13-2011, 05:35 AM
So a few Fletcher's still being used, some G5's and a few others. I expected to see more G5's due to the 'speed increase' that they claim. Size is interesting to, I might start a new thread with a poll to see it more easily.

WELCOME BACK MATE!!! :D

Let's put it this way. I have a G5 in my box. In fact I have a little pill bottle with peeps I used back in the mid 70's. I remember one brand being Papeep, SureZpeep. Must have at least a dozen in there from 1/32" up to 5/16" (G5). Frankly I see no perceptable performance difference in any of those shaped like the Fletcher and the Fletcher is priced way lower than the G5. 5 or 6 grains isn't going to make me or break me. The only reason I mostly use Specialty is so I can use a Verifier lens. Without it I see 3 pins in the housing of my HHA and all three are blurry.

Now we can always discuss different color options offered by some. To me it doesn't matter. Black works fine, but if I want a particular color then that can be taken care of with a can of spray paint. I have no reason to SEE the peep and never do. I see through the peep and as such it lines up every time because I take the time and effort to tweak it's position and the draw length of the bow so I don't have to move my head to find that hole.

Ford
07-13-2011, 06:43 AM
no peep now. but when I did use one it was g5 meta 1/4" or 3/16. Never did find a size that perfectly outline my front sight housing because of my short draw length, and severe angle of the string on the 30" ata exile. I'm loving no peep now, more accurate then ever now.

bfisher
07-13-2011, 08:02 AM
I hear ya, Barry. I had a Papeep to begin with and sort of lost track of if they were still in business, joined with another archery company or got bought out.
SureZPeep (Plastic. Yeck.) I have on the wall along with a hand full of Fletchers. most 1/8" and smaller - just a great all round peep and low cost. In fact, I have a Fletchers target peep in my ProElite.

Color! Wow! Forgot. Not the color of the peep, but the color of the string. The bright green and black strings on my Shadowcat, I was having this terrible problem, like I couldn't center up. What it was, was the bright green messing with my brain. Took a black felt pen to the string and problem went away.

Thanks Sonny. I never gave the string color a thought. All these years and I'm still learning something new on a continuing basis. You know, maybe there's something to having just plain old black strings afterall.

bfisher
07-13-2011, 08:16 AM
no peep now. but when I did use one it was g5 meta 1/4" or 3/16. Never did find a size that perfectly outline my front sight housing because of my short draw length, and severe angle of the string on the 30" ata exile. I'm loving no peep now, more accurate then ever now.

For those of us who prefer a peep this is one of the advantages of the Specialty peeps. You can get a 3D kit that has several different apertures from about 3/64" up to 3/16". Then without an aperture it's 1/4" if you get the 1/4" ball peep to start with. Another thing that comes to mind is that you can get a ball peep with a 37 degree angle vs the normal 45 degree one. Just some info in case you ever decide to use a peep again. Another option might be the Predator's View peep.

I don't know who ever started this idea that the sight guard has to be enveloped by the peep, but it's not necessarily a must. Years ago I did some of my best shooting with a 6X scope and a 1/32" peep that didn't show much more than the dot in the scope. Of course it wasn't very practical for bowhunting because not much light passed through it, but for field and indoor target it was a dream. The whole idea of encircling the sight guard is to ensure that you are anchored in the right place. Well, with a 1/32" peep there is little doubt.

I don't buy the idea that it shows whether you are torquing the bow. Either your form is good or it isn't. Either the draw length is set up right or it isn't. Just like people saying that to set peep height correctly you draw the bow, anchor and open your eyes and the peep should be right there. That is only correct if the bow's draw length is correct in the first place. If it isn't then you have to hunt for the anchor and/or move your head to align things and I subscribe to the theory that you should not have to move your head whatsoever to align with the peep and find proper anchors.

Simple Life
07-13-2011, 02:04 PM
All 3 bows -3/16 metas.

Destroyer
07-14-2011, 03:36 AM
to set peep height correctly you draw the bow, anchor and open your eyes and the peep should be right there. That is only correct if the bow's draw length is correct in the first place.

Agree, draw length make such a big difference and it just doesn't effect peep position or anchor point. Very important to get right.

gravedigger
07-14-2011, 08:16 AM
well im not too sure what peep i have but after looking at a bunch of pics,the one the looks just like mine would be the fletcher tru peep max hunter 1/4".

bfisher
07-14-2011, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE=bfisher;54955] I don't know who ever started this idea that the sight guard has to be enveloped by the peep, but it's not necessarily a must. Years ago I did some of my best shooting with a 6X scope and a 1/32" peep that didn't show much more than the dot in the scope. Of course it wasn't very practical for bowhunting because not much light passed through it, but for field and indoor target it was a dream. The whole idea of encircling the sight guard is to ensure that you are anchored in the right place. Well, with a 1/32" peep there is little doubt.
[QUOTE]

Barry, I use the circles from Specialty. Having a large housing the circles work well with the smaller peeps. So a circle in a circle and the center is always in the center.
Pic didn't take right. Circle thickness is not as thick as it shows and the pin is the same color as the circle. Them two little fuzzy things on the housing is for the sun shade (where ever I put it). That is a Boss housing, all carbon and it is light. Knocking on wood here > Scope rods breaking? That scope rod is the original and right at 10 years old.

Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the pin you speak of? You don't mean the dot in the middle do you? I've used those same stick-ons for indoors and just removed the little center dot. When I speak of a pin I mean a fiber optic pin, whether it be from the side or an UP pin such as used in most of the slider sights.

Some years ago I had a Sure-Loc Supreme and used different scopes with it. First was a Specialty Super scope made of plastic with a center drilled lens. I don't know how many threaded rods I snapped with this thing before I found out about armoring it. Later, wanting better quality, I got a Bullseye scope and had no issues with this. The only problem I had was that I got this setup in the event I got into field shooting again, which didn't happen so I sold the whole works a couple years ago.

Right now I'm using the Lens kit B in both my HHA sights. 4X on the Alien Z and 2X on the Nemisis. I've had a few occasions where I was getting some major reflection through the lens. My buddy used his hat to block the sun and still didn't help. Taking aim a 4th time and rally paying attention I finally figured out that the reflection was ME. I was seeing my face in the lens. Looks like these things are headed for Lens Crafters to get some anti-reflective coating. I would also like to get a sunshield, but it keeps slipping from my mind. I really need to make a list for when I go to the shop.