PDA

View Full Version : STS - Gimmick?

NeilMac
07-12-2011, 08:40 AM
I have had the STS come slightly loose on my Shadowcat and mess my groups up, then just lately I have twice had the rubber stop move, just a tiny bit, but enough to touch the string a little early and again it affected accuracy.

So, I just took it off completely and chrono'd the bow; all good at just a touch under 300fps, but all landing a little high. A tweak of the sight had that sorted and I then shot seven arrows (six at spots and one at a 3D) and got the most consistent results, since starting to shoot this bow.

My question: Is the STS just a gimmick? Or does it work well for you?

I like the way it stops all the rattle and buzzzzz (huh! should try one on my 1989 Lynx, now that bow rattles!), but if it's affecting consistent accuracy, it can stay in the spares box.

Jake-the-snake
07-12-2011, 12:57 PM
if you shoot better with it off, then leave it off. if your worried about the buzz, get some string leaches :)

However, then you lose FPS...and we all know how important speed is, right?:rolleyes:

NeilMac
07-12-2011, 01:08 PM
if you shoot better with it off, then leave it off. if your worried about the buzz, get some string leaches :)

My thought's exactly.

Not losing any speed at all, just appeared that the POI climbed a little, so I wound the sight down and now all is well.

Destroyer
07-12-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm not a big fan of the string stop. They can put more shock into the riser and into accessories and don't silence as much as catwhiskers. They do give a small speed increase over other silencers but not a huge increase.

Of course, having something "rattling" next to your competitor might prove beneficial.

Your on the ball today Sonny, another golden idea! ;)

However, then you lose FPS...and we all know how important speed is, right?

You cant loose that 2 fps and still win right? :p

Bowhunter_IL_BT
07-12-2011, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=Destroyer;54792]I'm not a big fan of the string stop. They can put more shock into the riser and into accessories and don't silence as much as catwhiskers. They do give a small speed increase over other silencers but not a huge increase.

Many people are having trouble with the new SOS breaking apart. There is nothing wrong with the STS as long as its put on correctly. I have used them on many bows and on my Cheetah its great. You have to make sure that the string is barely touching the suppresor before you tighten it up. By all means make it the string short by 1/16 of inch an that should do it. The suppressor just needs to be tuned right it will help reduce the string from slapping your forearm too. I wish Martin would do 2 small suppressors like Mathews.

Ehunter
07-12-2011, 06:28 PM
I have the STS on my Moab. After 3 years, not a problem one with it. I kinda liked the idea from the standpoint of getting a cleaner arrow release from the string. We all know not all nocks are the exact same fit on the string, and I thought that having a positive stopping place (or resemblance thereof ) would tend to make the arrows fly more consistently. A tight nock might hold on a little longer than a looser nock, but I think the STS should make that time shorter, giving a cleaner release and thus a more consistent flight. I don't have another bow that is similar to my Moab to compare noise with, but it is one of the quietest bows I have ever shot. I figured that had to be in part to the STS.

NeilMac
07-12-2011, 10:03 PM
As I only shoot Field and 3D comps, the noise the bow makes does not bother me, the slight buzz I am now getting I can kill with a couple of string leeches and a couple of limbsavers.

I have fitted rattlers onto a couple of my other bows, to see what effect they had. On my Ross CR337, accuracy was affected, so I took the rattler off. On my Constitution, it helped consistency and made it sound 'cool'.

I don't have a problem with the string slapping my arm, as my form keeps my forearm well out of the way and when the weathers cold / wet I use a bracer to keep my coat from snagging the string.

The main reason I removed the STS was just to see if it would affect the bow and I found the bow immediately became just a little bit more consistently accurate. As I throw something like 50 to 60 arrows up the yard every night, I know this was not just a one off, and as I chrono'd the bow just after taking the STS off, I know that the bow was still where it should be on speed (under 300 fps, as per NFAS rules), so I then wondered if we, the consumer, are forcing the manufacturers to add items like the STS to bows, when actually there is very little benefit to be gained.

Destroyer
07-12-2011, 11:55 PM
so I then wondered if we, the consumer, are forcing the manufacturers to add items like the STS to bows, when actually there is very little benefit to be gained.

I think its the other way around. ;)

I wish Martin would do 2 small suppressors like Mathews.

Not a bad idea, just be careful using the 'm' word here. :D

Speedykills
07-13-2011, 03:14 AM
I think the sts has a purpose on bows,both my bows have them and they do there job just fine.

Arrow Splitter
07-13-2011, 05:01 AM
Not a bad idea, just be careful using the 'm' word here. :D

C'mon Destroyer, we aren't against any of the other bow companies.:)

Ford
07-13-2011, 06:25 AM
I like the idea of the string supressor, no matter the brand. It definately works to quiet the bow, makes a big difference on my exile and the equalizer. My sims completely eliminated the string from slapping my forearm, love that.
The sos is junk, falls apart way to fast. and it tears wear it mounts, not where the string contacts, in less then 300 shots. Plus extremly poor placement on the string, no kisser. Martin should scrap that horrible idea. I've never used the sts but it sounds great, and would use it in a heartbeat if it was compatible with my bow. I think it should be standard equipment on all martins, its a cheap upgrade that makes the bow an even better deal. In fact because I like you guys so much I have an sts martin sent me to try and appease me after the sos broke after a month of shooting. Needless to say I told them it wont work on my bow, the assured me it would. Well it doesnt. So if you send me a self addressed stamped envelop package I will send it to you for free. First come first serve, pm me and I will give you my address. I dont know how it mounts or anything about it, just know it wont go on my 2011 exile. I cant gurantee it will work on your bow, thats up to you to figure out how it works and what it fits.
When I hunt I want silence and speed, and I think my sims string decelerator does that, and I'm sure the sts does it as well. I know with my buddys bear game over bow it makes that bow extremly quiet. Maybe the quietist bow I've ever heard. It has the single stop, no string leeches and all you hear is the thwak when the arrow hits the target. And that is with an IBO weight arrow, at 70lbs. Impressive, so much so I talked my father in law into buying one. Bear is making a really good bow for an affordable price, and most of their line has the string stop.

NeilMac
07-13-2011, 10:49 AM
My Cat definitely makes more noise without the STS, but I never heard of a 3D target 'jumping the string'.

If noise is the only advantage (and I do like the lack of noise), then at least there is a purpose to the STS, but I would prefer better accuracy over quieter any day.

HawgEnvy
07-13-2011, 03:30 PM
both bows in my sig wear an SOS. I don't have whiskers on either one. SOS is fine

pizzadave
07-13-2011, 06:20 PM
I found it to be a HUGE change in vibration dampening on my 2010 Cheetah. I set it up just like the instructions stated, and have had no issues... Gave me a lot of noise reduction, and once I tightened the set screw, while using RED locktite, I have had no issues...

Destroyer
07-14-2011, 03:37 AM
C'mon Destroyer, we aren't against any of the other bow companies.:)

Just teasing mate. ;)

Bear is making a really good bow for an affordable price, and most of their line has the string stop.

Some have two!

vkrules
07-14-2011, 03:47 PM
I've found replacing the martin stopper with the sims decelerator rubber has improved groupings slightly and moving the rubber further away from the string also helps and still provides some noise dampening.somore testing required other than taking the sts off or on.