PDA

View Full Version : Acu track module alignment

wick
07-13-2011, 06:59 PM
while trying to track down a noise comming from my lower cam i noticed that my module that i've had in there since i set my bow up is pretty crooked. Looks like the housing for the bearing sticks out a little causing the module to not sit flush against the cam. does any one else have this issue? and if so has there been any problems? Looks like mine may end up wearing the serving out where it makes contact with the cable. I'll post pictures soon.

wick
07-13-2011, 07:04 PM
hears the pics hope they turn out.

bfisher
07-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Can't say I've seen this before, but it should be easy enough to fix. It's plastic, right? Take a file to it or Dremel tool if you have one. No sense in ruining the serving when you have located the problem.

Destroyer
07-14-2011, 03:40 AM
But does it make things worse? Is there any wear?

Ford
07-14-2011, 05:23 AM
my only problem with the acu trac cam was that when I was setting it up the 26" module wasnt formed properly. What I mean by that is the bolt holes didnt align properly with the cam, they were nearly an 1/16-1/8 off center.

MLN1963
07-14-2011, 05:34 AM
my only problem with the acu trac cam was that when I was setting it up the 26" module wasnt formed properly. What I mean by that is the bolt holes didnt align properly with the cam, they were nearly an 1/16-1/8 off center.

I have the problem with one of the modules for my son's bow. I brought it to the dealer to get another module and he said it just needs a little shove. I thought he was nuts but he used a nylon punch and it went in. I would have sworn that it would never fit, the holes looked wrong.

Ford
07-14-2011, 07:30 AM
plastic is malleable, but I dont think that was the right call. I dont think it should have to be forced. poor quality control. All other bows I've worked with are aliuminum.

MLN1963
07-14-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm with you pal. But he said he's seen it a bunch and that is what he did. I would have bet $10 it wouldn't work and I was wrong.

Ford
07-14-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm sure it works fine, it just drives the perfectionist in me nuts!!!!!!!

peace
07-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Happens all the time when you mate plastic with metal. Always room for a little give. What's 3/32nds amongst friends? I used to be a union millwright once upon a time in my storied career. Setup and maintained large production runs for United Technologies and Combustion Engineering, including turbines in public power plants amongst many others.

Whenever you married plastic with metal there were always much more variables with tolerances. Millwrights are the epitome of perfectionists yet you learn "well enough" too.

wick
07-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Can't say I've seen this before, but it should be easy enough to fix. It's plastic, right? Take a file to it or Dremel tool if you have one. No sense in ruining the serving when you have located the problem.

Yes it is plastic but Kinda leary about grinding on the module itself. Do you think shimming the module at the screws with a couple of nylon washers to make it straight would help?

wick
07-14-2011, 06:17 PM
But does it make things worse? Is there any wear?

I don't know If it makes anything worse but the serving around the bottom of the string where the module makes contact has a definite indention that is not uniform with the string, so I guess that would be considered unusual wear.

Destroyer
07-14-2011, 07:23 PM
the serving around the bottom of the string where the module makes contact has a definite indention that is not uniform with the string

A dint in the cable isn't much too worry about. If it was actually cutting into the serving then it would be an issue. The problem is that if you try to fix it the cable will be on a greater angle and might rub worse.

Worth keeping an eye on though. ;)

bfisher
07-15-2011, 03:37 AM
Yes it is plastic but Kinda leary about grinding on the module itself. Do you think shimming the module at the screws with a couple of nylon washers to make it straight would help?

I wouldn't shim it. The module is probably just sitting atop the bearing flange at some point. Take a careful look and this is where you file a larger radius till it sits flat against the cam. It's possible that just loosening the screws and repositioning the module a bit will let it sit down flat. Filing or grinding it isn't such a big deal. It's not like you're taking off 1/8" or anything. Just cleaning up the edge a bit.

wick
07-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try filing it down to see if it sits a little more staighter and go from there.

wick
07-16-2011, 05:03 PM
After looking at the module a little more i noticed that it needed to come out away from the cam to line up with string properly. so for now i've shimmed it with a couple of rubber spacers for tunning broadheads to bring it out even with the string. i'll see how this works for now.