PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Martin Dream Catch Arrow Rest

wut4dude
07-16-2011, 08:29 AM
I just recently purchased a 2010 Martin Dream Catcher 60" 50# recurve bow. I've been shooting a 1967 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45# at 28"DL...and I was shooting directly off the bear hair rest..well until I sold it to purchase the Dream Catcher. My question is should I consider an elevated rest or shoot directly off the shelf?...and maybe what would be a good arrow choice for this bow...I like to build my own arrows so maybe a bare shaft choice...I think I'll be shooting a carbon shaft, maybe a 400, even though cedar sounds and looks cool, but I like the durability of the carbon. i was going to use a right hand helical fletch with feathers? Any input is greatly appreceated?

wut4dude
07-16-2011, 09:45 AM
...and I really like the idea of shooting off the shelf...unless someone tells me there are sizeable performance gains from shooting off of an elevated rest...thanks:cool:

wut4dude
07-16-2011, 10:02 AM
also, whats your thoughts on pinch tabs versus gloves versus finger savers?... i really like the finger savers

cyclepath
07-16-2011, 03:05 PM
I just recently purchased a 2010 Martin Dream Catcher 60" 50# recurve bow. I've been shooting a 1967 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45# at 28"DL...and I was shooting directly off the bear hair rest..well until I sold it to purchase the Dream Catcher. My question is should I consider an elevated rest or shoot directly off the shelf?...and maybe what would be a good arrow choice for this bow...I like to build my own arrows so maybe a bare shaft choice...I think I'll be shooting a carbon shaft, maybe a 400, even though cedar sounds and looks cool, but I like the durability of the carbon. i was going to use a right hand helical fletch with feathers? Any input is greatly appreceated?
Congrats on the new bow, great choice. Well, to start with You should be shooting it off the shelf, that's how most recurves are designed to shoot. As far as arrows go if you are wanting to use carbon you can use a 500 or a 400. Trad bows like heavy arrows. I'm shooting 400s out of my viper and they have 100 grn inserts in them, using easton st. axis with the hit. 125 grn points, around 540 grn.

...and I really like the idea of shooting off the shelf...unless someone tells me there are sizeable performance gains from shooting off of an elevated rest...thanks:cool:
Put a nice hair rest on it and enjoy, will put center of string right there.

also, whats your thoughts on pinch tabs versus gloves versus finger savers?... i really like the finger savers
There is really no reason to change how you were shooting if you are comfortable with it. Happy shooting!

wut4dude
07-16-2011, 03:25 PM
,,,thanks cyclepath...I appreciate the info:cool:

wut4dude
07-16-2011, 03:29 PM
...one more question for the moment anyway...is there a noticeable differenceas far as performance in fletching configurations for feathers..ie, helical, offset or straight?:cool:

Destroyer
07-16-2011, 04:12 PM
So many questions wut4dude!

Firstly, the rest choice is a personal one but they are advantages to an elevated rest and advantages to shelf rests. Shelf rests are very simple, not much to go wrong with and get your hand closer to the shaft which some like.

An elevated rest has accuracy and tuning benefits but can fail so you need to carry a spare with you if you hunt.

Glove or tab? Again its a preference thing, I never like gloves because I lost feel with them so I always used a tab. Only problem with a tab is you can easily loose it.

Fletching performance with a recurve? Lol! Nothing to worry about there, you need to use helical and use the same hand as the feathers.

wut4dude
07-16-2011, 05:41 PM
,,,I agree about the feel or lack of feel with the gloves...are all finger tabs created equal? and thanks de:cool:stroyer

Destroyer
07-16-2011, 11:08 PM
are all finger tabs created equal?

They all work. The last tab I bought is a Black Widow 3-Under and its a good tab and has lasted well but I didn't like the Velcro finger band so I replaced it with some cord. I use to make my own simple tab from copying a bought one and it worked well, it had a finger hole and that's what I prefer to hunt with.

Its a trial and error to a point.