PDA

View Full Version : starting to HATE my Martin

pizzadave
07-16-2011, 01:42 PM
I bought a 2010 Martin Cheetah over the winter. I thought it looked like a great bow for the price, so i went for it. I hated all of the factory accessories that came in it. They were advertised as different brands than what were in them. It had a cheap dim 5 pin sight, a horrible factory quiver, end a quickened 360 rest that made a ton of noise on the draw, so I put an octane stabilizer, extreme sight, fuse 3 arrow quiver, and qad drop away rest on. I then had to put on the sts and limbsaver buttons because this bow was soooo loud. After I started singing arrows I found a lot of string wear happening on the cables, and shooting string. I found a ding in the idler wheel. The ding was mostly on the outside edge, so it appeared it was just the extreme string angle causing this. I ended up getting new vaportail strings and cables because or the wear, and poor quality of the factory strings. I found the factory cable slide was shaving the cables and causing wear, so I replaced it with a Saunders hyperglide. I just started shooting the bow with the new strings today, end my f7 cam module totally bent over to the side, and the string went odd track in the cam. I don't know what to do. It seems I have one problem after another, and am seriously thinking of getting rid of my Martin and getting a different brand. I have not gotten any help from customer service, and am sick of putting money into this bow. I bought it in a budget, and it turns out I had to spend more money than I wanted to in the first place. I am just looking for advice. Do they make metal cam mods? Do all cheetahs suck?

gravedigger
07-16-2011, 02:12 PM
sounds like your bow is so out of tune it started causing problems.and no not all of them suck.if tuned riht then you would have one nice bow.the problem parts you have,you should have caled mcsp as soon as you seen it.did you buy it new or used.martin fixes problem with factory parts but they cant put it back together for you.in hine sight you should have came on here as soon as any problems came up so we could have walked you through it.im sorry your bow is not performing up to par.so how about some detailed pic's of the problem area(s).and any and all info on the bow.also what have you done to the bow to tune it.oh ya and calm down a bit,take a breath and relax.we dont want to see an all out war on this thread.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Welcome Pizzadave, I am sorry to hear that you are having so many problems. For the Martin problems you list the string and cables the slide, ding in idler, f7 mod. The question I have is what is your dealer doing about all this? If your dealer set it up he is responsible for the bow. As far as the accessories, I have to tell you Martin didn't make them. So they were a choice you took. When you buy through a dealer you can shoot the bow and test it first. Then swap out accessories you don't like or want to up grade. But it sounds like you didn't get it through a dealer. Also I would have sent it back to whom you bought it from, if it didn't have the accessories as advertised. The bow it self is guaranteed, its to bad the one you bought it from isn't working with you to solve this issues.

Hutch:cool:

pizzadave
07-16-2011, 02:37 PM
I made the horrible mistake of buying it from a "dealer" on eBay. I will never do this again. The guy I had work on it said he has it in tune well.... as far as what I have done, just papertuning.... I don't really know what more I really can do. He set up the cam for me, and I got the idlers straight by twisting the split cable like usual. I cannot go through a local shop to accomplish anything cuz I dint buy it from them. I will take some pics of the mod. That is really my only current issue. The eBay seller I went through of course cancelled his membership when I fought for a refund, so I got stuck with the bow. Is there anything I can do to battle cam lean? Doea that crazy torque tamer work?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-16-2011, 02:58 PM
What mod do you currently have in it? Take pics on the cam and the lean. The way we straighten the bow out is walk you step by step through it and get all the specs correct. Then the bow will be shooting the way it is designed. With a Martin you do not need a bow press so you can do everything yourself.
1. Measure the Axle to Axle on both sides to make sure it is correct.
(if one side is longer than the other it will cause limb twist or idler lean)
2. Measure Brace height to see if that is correct.
(if not surely some thing else is out of spec)
3. Any good Martin dealer should do work on it.
Mine does and some others I know do.
If not you can send it to martin if it is warranty work.
The bow will have some cam lean if it is major it could be another problem like bearings.

Doe that crazy torque tamer work? yes!

NY_Bowhunter
07-16-2011, 04:01 PM
I cannot go through a local shop to accomplish anything cuz I dint buy it from them.

welcome piazzadave!! You've found the right site for info and suggestions. I would suggest you take your bow to another Pro Shop or look to see if there may be a Martin dealer near you. My 08 Slayer X had it's limbs splintered and crack. The Pro Shop I go to isn't even a Martin dealer, but as instructed by Martin, I got it there and the limbs are getting shipped to the pro shop where he will R&R the limbs on the bow and tune it. My limbs cracked just last week. I think if you contact Martin, they will help you anyway they can .... at least that's the experience I have had with them. I know it sucks to have a bow fail, but give Martin a chance to make it right for you ... I think you'll be pleased with the customer service you get. As far as your dealer not willing to help, sounds like you should look else where to do business!! I'm more than willing to pay my local shop for his time and especially his knowledge of how to correctly setup a bow!! I don't have the faintest idea how to even square one up, yet, but I'm learning something new everyday thanks to the great members and info here on the MTF!! Hang in there and keep us informed about what will come of your bow issues. :D

Destroyer
07-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Welcome pizzadave! :)

I bought it in a budget, and it turns out I had to spend more money than I wanted to in the first place.

Do this a bit myself, buy cheap and end up spending more than I should, enough to by a expensive bow in the first place. Anyway, you can buy a metal module and it might fix one of your problems.

eBay or archerytalk or wherever, doesn't matter really, your not safe from a lemon. :(

POOR-SHOOTER
07-17-2011, 04:01 AM
Sell it to me.

HawgEnvy
07-17-2011, 05:23 AM
there are several on here that shoot Cheetahs or the Dicks equivalent. We all seem to love them. I have one and just hooked my nephew up w a new 2010 a couple weeks ago. They shoot great. Sorry bout your dilema,but you got screwed by a bad dealer it sounds like. I'd offer to releieve you from your problem but I've got two bows that I'm happy with now. Find a good pro shop to help you out. Chalk it up to lessons learned. Don't buy w/o seeing/shooting a perspective bow.

if you want to pay the costs,send it to me w any parts and I can get the work done free at my pro shop if I can't figure it out myself.

pizzadave
07-17-2011, 07:11 AM
Sell it to me.

I would sell it if I didn't have so much cash tied up in it. The sad thing is... thus is the list of what I have spent.

2010 Martin Cheetah. $430
Vaportail strings $100
Sts $25
Limbsaver buttons and string silencers $25
Meta peep $12
Extreme 4 pin sight $85
Qad drop away rest $50
Octane stabilizer $60
Fuse 3 arrow quiver $50

Total cost $837

So I know I can't get near that for a price!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-17-2011, 07:22 AM
Still doesn't mean it can't become a great bow!!

HawgEnvy
07-17-2011, 07:28 AM
I've not seen a new cheetah over $350. In fact,the one I got for my nephew was $150 out the door w a trade in. That's a new,off the rack 2010. I was the only one to ever test shoot it. I'm frustrated for you. You been had. I would suggest doing more research before purchasing next time.

BTW, I hope I'm not coming across rude. I'm really not,as I'm sure most here will tell you. Welcome aboard. Well help you get things figured out.

NY_Bowhunter
07-17-2011, 07:36 AM
there are several on here that shoot Cheetahs or the Dicks equivalent. We all seem to love them. I have one and just hooked my nephew up w a new 2010 a couple weeks ago. They shoot great. Sorry bout your dilema,but you got screwed by a bad dealer it sounds like. I'd offer to releieve you from your problem but I've got two bows that I'm happy with now. Find a good pro shop to help you out. Chalk it up to lessons learned. Don't buy w/o seeing/shooting a perspective bow.

if you want to pay the costs,send it to me w any parts and I can get the work done free at my pro shop if I can't figure it out myself.

Now THERE'S a great offer to help ya out and probably a much CHEAPER way to repair the bow if you can't get it repaired locally!! :D :D :D :D

pizzadave
07-17-2011, 08:28 AM
I have to check the bow out a little bit... and was told how I can see if it is tuned and set up right. I am going to see what I can do.... I think I'd like to try the torque tamer... see if is the ticket to taking cam lean out.... id like to get it figured out. As far as the price I paid for it, locally they sell for $450 ready to shoot with sights rest peep and what not.... as far as what I thought I was buying was a bow with a whisker biscuit, octane sights, and arrows... it came with 3 cheap easton arrows, cheap sights, and cheap USED rest.... being it was eBay.... I couldn't get a refund so I was forced to deal with it... I have put enough great parts on it to make it a sweet bow... but just have one problem after another.. I have a little over a month to get it ready for deer season... I've shot about 600 arrows out of it.... but I really want to practice more...

peace
07-17-2011, 08:48 AM
When you are fairly new to the bow setup and tuning process and you change out a lot of parts, things are going to take time to setup properly. Every change you make to a bow effects tuning and setup. Add to that process the additional learning required and you are taking about a complicated procedure. You presently have a good bow in your hands, take a deep breath and learn her. Check your specs and insure that you are close.

Unless you have changed strings a number of times and tuned a number of bows the process can become frustrating. Thank God you have a Martin and you don't necessarily need a bow press to do a number of things. Well excuse me, you don't have to thank God if that is not your faith, it is just my manner of speaking. I am not trying to offend and it is hard to know how we come across online.

New packaged bows rarely come with very good accessories whether you buy it on Ebay or from a big box store. That is a learned lesson. Better to buy a bare bow and set it up yourself. Sell back the accessories you don't like on Ebay and recoup some of your expenses. There may be some young or not so well heeled archer appreciative of the stuff you don't want.

Figure out how to post images on this forum, as mentioned there is a sticky thread for that. Folks here will be more than willing to help you and save you some frustration and $.

gravedigger
07-17-2011, 09:13 AM
I've not seen a new cheetah over $350. In fact,the one I got for my nephew was $150 out the door w a trade in. That's a new,off the rack 2010. I was the only one to ever test shoot it. I'm frustrated for you. You been had. I would suggest doing more research before purchasing next time.

BTW, I hope I'm not coming across rude. I'm really not,as I'm sure most here will tell you. Welcome aboard. Well help you get things figured out.

I would sell it if I didn't have so much cash tied up in it. The sad thing is... thus is the list of what I have spent.

2010 Martin Cheetah. $430
Vaportail strings $100
Sts $25
Limbsaver buttons and string silencers $25
Meta peep $12
Extreme 4 pin sight $85
Qad drop away rest $50
Octane stabilizer $60
Fuse 3 arrow quiver $50

Total cost $837

So I know I can't get near that for a price!

hawg im thinking the 430 price was a package price.i think/hope.pizza dave you do have some $ tied up in it,but it parts that alot of people would go and buy right after a new bow is bougt.what you have is a list of stuff that a guy wants and needs for his bow.if you would change that 430 you spent on your bow to the 800+ on other bow that ship bare then you would be looking at some $.i really hope you find a place that can fix ya up.and also talking to hawg about his offer.best of luck and hope it all works out.and remember guy doese not need the best names on his bow just the guy behind it.good luck to ya

pizzadave
07-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Well.... I started to look at my bow in more depth... My bow is set to 67 lbs so I have a few turns out top and bottom.... BUT left side of the bow measures 29 5/8'' axle to axle, and the right side is at 29 3/8'' I started looking at the limbs, and found a large crack on my upper limb running from where it splits, toward the riser.... seems as if it would explode after a few more shots... would this cause the crazy cam lean on the bottom as well? either way, I am going to talk to martin and see if I can ship my bow to them for some replacement, and hope they will do the work.... I am unsure how well the warranty is going to work since I bought it the way I did, and that scares me... we will see how it goes

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-17-2011, 10:00 AM
If you have receipts, you in fact have bought a from a Martin dealer online. That I believe is proof enough. I believe Martin knows who they sell to. If they are not a Martin dealer then you have a fraud charge with eBay.

Speedykills
07-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Well.... I started to look at my bow in more depth... My bow is set to 67 lbs so I have a few turns out top and bottom.... BUT left side of the bow measures 29 5/8'' axle to axle, and the right side is at 29 3/8'' I started looking at the limbs, and found a large crack on my upper limb running from where it splits, toward the riser.... seems as if it would explode after a few more shots... would this cause the crazy cam lean on the bottom as well? either way, I am going to talk to martin and see if I can ship my bow to them for some replacement, and hope they will do the work.... I am unsure how well the warranty is going to work since I bought it the way I did, and that scares me... we will see how it goes

I can guarantee you if you bought that bow brand new online Martin will cover you for repair.Only thing Martin will do is ask you to find a dealer close to you to do work,and it's up to the dealer if they charge you for labor or not.
If that doesnt work then you will have to ship it to them and they should take care of it.Martin pretty much will bend over backwards to get your bow fixed in my experience.

MLN1963
07-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Pizza Dave

You can also send Martin your bow. I needed work on mine and the local dealer was going to charge me labor after Martin supplied the parts. I understand him charging the labor but it was much cheaper for me to spend $20 on shipping and send the bow to Martin. Of course you will need to call customer service and talk to Joel Clark to get a return authorization code first.

Can you post some pictures of the crack please?

pizzadave
07-17-2011, 06:00 PM
I will take some pics tomorrow. I am going to call customer service tomorrow rather than mess with emails.... I really don't think that it will turn out that I bought it from a licensed Martin dealer, because the seller did everything so fraudulently, that I can't believe they are legit. They were members for just over a month, and bought and sold several odd items in that short period of time. They deleted their membership, and I never was able to contact them about making my order right. The minute I called them out on selling me something that wasn't as described, they backed out, and ebay couldn't even enforce anything! It was an awful experience, and I am dreading what I will hear from Martin tomorrow! Anybody know how much it costs for new limbs? I am sure I can get them, but will have to pay I am guessing.....

Destroyer
07-17-2011, 06:18 PM
found a large crack on my upper limb running from where it splits, toward the riser...

The icing on the cake, a lemon cake! :rolleyes: Real sorry to hear this. :(

ebay couldn't even enforce anything!

They closed there account before you could dispute them? Did you use paypal?

Money Man
07-17-2011, 06:37 PM
I will take some pics tomorrow. I am going to call customer service tomorrow rather than mess with emails.... I really don't think that it will turn out that I bought it from a licensed Martin dealer, because the seller did everything so fraudulently, that I can't believe they are legit. They were members for just over a month, and bought and sold several odd items in that short period of time. They deleted their membership, and I never was able to contact them about making my order right. The minute I called them out on selling me something that wasn't as described, they backed out, and ebay couldn't even enforce anything! It was an awful experience, and I am dreading what I will hear from Martin tomorrow! Anybody know how much it costs for new limbs? I am sure I can get them, but will have to pay I am guessing.....

I have never had to deal with customer service, but several folks on here have said that when you call Martin, have some pictures ready to e-mail to them. Best of luck. Keep us posted of your progress.

pizzadave
07-17-2011, 06:58 PM
The icing on the cake, a lemon cake! :rolleyes: Real sorry to hear this. :(

They closed there account before you could dispute them? Did you use paypal?

I did use paypal.... and yes.. they closed the account as I started to talk to them about making it right with other issues I had with the order. I tried a dispute through ebay, and that's when they up and disappeared! And I couldn't make any sort of headway with them

MLN1963
07-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Pizzadave

Don't worry about where you bought your bow. I have dealt with Martin a couple times and they have never asked where I got my bow from. Trust me, they want a dangerous split limb out of circulation. If you hurt yourself there could be a lawsuit and they don't want that. Call Joel, tell him what the problem is, don't elaborate, and get taken care of. It is really that simple.

If you want to email Joel Clark, from costumer service his email is joel@martinarchery.com Maybe send some pics to him tonight so they will be there in the morning. Call him at 509.529.2554 when they open at 8:00 AM PST.

Stop sweating it. Don't elaborate. :cool:

NY_Bowhunter
07-18-2011, 07:00 AM

I would take a GOOD look at the bottom limb as well. I thought it was only the top limb on my bow until a VERY close and thorough inspection had uncovered splinters and one crack on the bottom limb. Either way, Martin will be good to ya!

Ford
07-18-2011, 08:54 AM
I agree with everything the guys have told you. I know from experience because I bought from a martin dealer on ebay as well. This guy wasnt a fraud, but there was no way to do waranty work through him. Martin may tell you to take it to a local shop for the waranty work, I can almost gurantee that you will have to pay labor charges since you didnt buy the bow there. I was charged 50 to put a string on. I would suggest sending it straight to martin, it maybe 20 but thats cheaper then 50.

pizzadave
07-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Well.... I emailed Martin customer service, and they are one amazing company. I talked it over with them, and I am going to bring my bow to my local scheels store. They have been very good about working on my bow recently. They don't charge labor, they just like to see you come back and spend money in the archery section. They want scheels to call the customer service dept. And they will talk over all parts needed, and ship them to the store to have it all installed.

Fromy own inspection I would say the parts needs are a top idler wheel due to a ding when I first for it, new METAL cam module, top AND bottom limbs, and possibly a lower cam axle..... the cam axle may be.food but we are going to look over it extra hard just to make sure we cover all the bases and get it fixed right! Sooo. So far I am extremely happy with how Martin is making it right!

Speedykills
07-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Well.... I emailed Martin customer service, and they are one amazing company. I talked it over with them, and I am going to bring my bow to my local scheels store. They have been very good about working on my bow recently. They don't charge labor, they just like to see you come back and spend money in the archery section. They want scheels to call the customer service dept. And they will talk over all parts needed, and ship them to the store to have it all installed.

Fromy own inspection I would say the parts needs are a top idler wheel due to a ding when I first for it, new METAL cam module, top AND bottom limbs, and possibly a lower cam axle..... the cam axle may be.food but we are going to look over it extra hard just to make sure we cover all the bases and get it fixed right! Sooo. So far I am extremely happy with how Martin is making it right!

Glad it all worked out for you,but Martin is doing you a big favor,the the person you bought if from should be the one making it right.Now you know why i choose Martin...........

NY_Bowhunter
07-18-2011, 10:24 AM

That right there sounds like my experience and THE reason I will always have my Martin bow!! Glad to hear that you're gonna be taken care of. I expect nothing less from Martin Archery!! :)

Bowhunter_IL_BT
07-18-2011, 10:41 AM
I have a 2010 Cheetah and never have had an issue with it. I did however had to replace the string it came with. I had to get a custom string cause the 2010 strings were terrible on the Gold Series bows. Martin. If you go on Martin's online store you can buy a metal module for your bow. I did and replaced the plastic module I had. The threads were better on the metal module and the bow made less vibration with it as well. The bow is good just needs to be tweeked a little it seems like. Martins Customer Service has been good to me.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
07-18-2011, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=HawgEnvy;55538]I've not seen a new cheetah over $350. In fact,the one I got for my nephew was $150 out the door w a trade in. That's a new,off the rack 2010. I was the only one to ever test shoot it. I'm frustrated for you. You been had. I would suggest doing more research before purchasing next time.

I got my 2010 Cheetah from a Full Throttle Archery brand new for $300 bare now, and that was Feb of 2010 when they came out. That was a great deal! I bought many things Archery products from them and other dealers on Ebay and had no troubles. I think you have to really be careful with howmuch positive feedback and good customer service policies these dealers have before purchasing.

Destroyer
07-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Good to hear your getting it sorted pizzadave. :D

I tried a dispute through ebay, and that's when they up and disappeared!

If you start a official dispute through PayPal they can't close their store until its settled. :confused:

Speaking of PayPal, just for everyone to know, PayPal only covers you for delivery on non eBay purchases. No cover on the item condition or even if it isn't the correct item. :(

peace
07-19-2011, 03:50 AM
I got my 2010 Cheetah from a Full Throttle Archery brand new for $300 bare now, and that was Feb of 2010 when they came out. That was a great deal! I bought many things Archery products from them and other dealers on Ebay and had no troubles.

Checked out Archery Full Throttle and they have some great products and a good company history. Thanks again for sharing that tidbit.

pizzadave
07-30-2011, 06:20 AM
I just got my bow back from my local Scheels here in Fargo. They got all the parts on from Martin, and it shoots great! I had the top idler replace, because it had a ding in it when I first got it, got metal cam modules, and upper and lower POWERTOUGH limbs on! It shoots faster, quieter, and even appears to draw smoother. I no longer have an ounce of cam lean, and it makes no clicking noises during the draw cycle like it did! I am VERY IMPRESSED with Martin's customer service, and I hope my story can be a testiment to all who doubt Martin as a company. They helped me out in a huge way, and I now feel like I am Martin for life. They scored big with me, and I have gone from HATING my Martin to LOVING my Martin. I want to thank all the people who have helped me out with the advice in my thread, and look forward to being part of Martin's forum for a LONG LONG time.

On a side note... my friend just got a ridge hunter a month ago, and the little "carbon fiber" looking pattern sticker insert on the backside of his grip was coming off after just a few shots.... he emailed Martin and they offered him a new riser! Is that customer service or what!!???!!

Simple Life
07-30-2011, 06:22 AM
Glad to see you fixed up and shooting.Alot of people knock Martin,but you can't beat the CS.

pizzadave
07-30-2011, 06:28 AM
maybe a clearer pic this time? it's from my phone, so kind of muddy looking

peace
07-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Glad to see everything turned out all right....now you can with confidence tell all of your friends....

SMARTEN UP AND MARTIN UP!!!