PDA

View Full Version : Cat Whiskers

Sharxfan
07-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Okay, I have done alot of searching on the interwebs and I know how to do the cat whiskers but my issue is no bow press. Now I have heard it mentioned on here that you do not need a bow press to work on a martin bow. So how would you do the whiskers without the bow press to relieve tension on the string?

BTW I am on a mission to wipe out noise on my bow. Everything on the damn thing is vibrating loose. I found that the levers on the sight came loose and that was causing noise so I tightened them down and cut some noise down. I am now looking at the SOS and am going to put some foam behind the rubber and see what happens I also put rubber washers between the SOS and TRG to dampen out any noise there. Almost there I only have until Sept 17th to work the kinks out before I try and get first blood.

Destroyer
07-18-2011, 04:54 PM
No need for a bow press. All I do is serve them on.

Ehunter
07-18-2011, 04:55 PM
I have always just tied on my whiskers. No reason to use a bow press or anything else. There's a ton of videos on Youtube showing how to tie them on. I like to tie them on in the smaller ball version. Maybe not quite as effective, but it looks alot nicer. It seemed to quiet my bow down plenty using the smaller version.

gravedigger
07-18-2011, 04:57 PM
back out the limb bolts 1 to 2 turns at a time keeping each side even,keep count.you can make a mark with a witr out pen to keep track of your even full turns.dnt take the bolts all the way out,you dont need to do this.you will have slack in the string in no time.its like 7 or 8 turns for me befor i have enough slack to take strings off if i need to.

Arrow Splitter
07-18-2011, 06:05 PM
I found that the levers on the sight came loose and that was causing noise so I tightened them down and cut some noise down.I had the same problem with my Truglo Xtreme Tooless. I used Locktite, and problem solved.:cool:

Destroyer
07-18-2011, 08:04 PM
I tie on whiskers with the tiny draw ties.

Works good, done that before.

I normally only use one catwhisker strip per end, only one end for a single cam bow near the cam, and I always cut them in half and double them up to keep the strands shorter.

Sharxfan
07-18-2011, 08:30 PM
I don't know what happened to my bow but both draw modules had the screws come loose I loctited them and no problems since. Then I was trying to work on the SOS and I noticed that I had noise in the front of the bow when I plucked the string. Chased it down to the sight and noticed that the levers that turn the tooless adjustment on the sight were loose. I tightened them back up but I cannot loctite them as they may need to come out. I may think about it and put a star washer on them or a small O ring. I also backed out the light on the sight and put an O ring on it and now that everything is tight it just makes a thump on the SOS going to put some foam back there to see if it dampens it.

I also found a good video on YouTube ( thanks eHunter). I wanted the golfball shape and that is what they were showing. I am going to do it tomorrow evening.

Also if anyone has the TRG I bought some UHMW PE off Amazon to put on it to decrease wear kind of like what ArcherX7 did to his. This roll was like $18 from Amazon and is 2" x 18yds so if someone would like to try a piece let me know I have plenty to spare. It is also used for jigs and stuff for woodworking so the extra will not go to waste.

MLN1963
07-19-2011, 05:59 AM
Blue Loctite is low strength and you will be able to remove them. That is it's purpose.

MLN1963
07-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Just a heads up. Any time you use a thread locking agent, Loctite, make sure you shake the bottle first to mix it. I now prefer the stick form.

Sharxfan
07-19-2011, 06:37 AM
Thanks MLN. I haven't seen the stick form at the local Wally world. I will have to look out for it now. I could loctite it as it is now set and just need to adjust the pins and not the comlete site. I could also take them out now I gues and put them in the bow case for future use later.

Destroyer
07-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Yep Loctite 243. I don't have that issue on my cat, its the other way around.

Sharxfan
07-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Well I did the cat whiskers and put some foam behind the SOS and it seems quieter to me but it still makes noise. I think I need to have someone stand a few feet behind me to see how bad the noise is if you are not on top of the bow. It may make tons of noise to me but to some one 3 feet away it may be as quiet as a church mouse.

Destroyer
07-19-2011, 05:09 PM
need to have someone stand a few feet behind me to see how bad the noise is if you are not on top of the bow

Have someone stand 20 yards away and see.

I know I keep going on about this but you might find its quieter if a bow doesn't have a stop. It puts extra shock into the bow and accessories.

Sharxfan
07-19-2011, 05:51 PM
I think I may swith to a limbsaver or sims stop maybe. I am of a mind that the way the SOS was designed piggy backing on the TRG that it may not be as solid so it introduces some noise. I may try the no stop and see what happens as well.

Arrow Splitter
07-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Have someone stand 20 yards away and see.

With an apple on their head, right?:D:D (Sorry, I couldn't resist LOL)

Destroyer
07-19-2011, 10:35 PM
With an apple on their head, right?

That is wrong A.S, you should know the apple always goes in the mouth! :p ;) :D

Arrow Splitter
07-20-2011, 06:22 AM
That is wrong A.S, you should know the apple always goes in the mouth! :p ;) :DNow that's mean.LOL:D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Whiskers are nice!!!

Hutch:cool:

nursenick
07-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Nice pics! I might have to try those whiskers if my new Exile gives me any problems. I shot it a little after I bought it on R&R and it seemed to be pretty quiet. This is my second Martin bow. I had a 2009 Saber - always had noise problems with it.
One thing I did learn is that string stops work best if you have a tiny amount of space between the stopper and string at rest. The point is to leech away noise and vibration when the string comes forward of resting - most of it's energy is expended once it reaches that point. All it needs is to kiss the stopper. If you have it already touching the string, the stopper takes the full force of the string and transfers a tremendous amount of energy into the riser and makes a good solid thumping sound. If anything else is loose on the bow, you will hear it.

I have been browsing this forum for a couple of months and I'm disappointed to discover that there have been problems with the TRG/SOS system. I'm an incessant tinkerer, so I will be working on ways to make it better. Why Martin didn't design the TRG to make it adjustable for vane clearance? Getting that lateral torque down to minimum was the point of the TRG anyways. Why not use an angled rod (much like the slider rods) that can be rotated slightly for clearance. The TRG part of it would need to be allowed to rotate on the rod too, but a couple of set screws would take care of that.
The SOS seems to be a good idea - places the stoppage a little closer to center. It just needs to be adjusted properly to reduce shock and keep from tearing up the rubber. I wondered about the durability of the rubber - I guess I'll find out when I get back this fall and start wearing that target out.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Welcome to the forum nursenick, The whiskers are the best way I have found to quiet any bow. That is why old school archers stick to them.

Hutch:cool:

polaris754
07-20-2011, 03:59 PM
welkies dude i will say the :cool: whiskers do the trick, my bow has been very quiet to begin with but the whiskers made it silent good luc

Sharxfan
07-20-2011, 05:11 PM
So the cat whiskers are on but you can still hear a thump from the bow. I think it is the SOS that is causing the noise. So is it true that if I call martin and complain about the TRG and SOS that they usually ship out a slide and STS to customers? I think this setup needs to go as the deer will jump the string if it stays this noisy. How does the STS mount to the ONza 3? Do you use the channels in the riser that look like the ones for the TRG? I think I have one at the bottom of the riser and the top. May even look into putting two of them like the Bear Carnage and see how that works.