PDA

View Full Version : DIY small game heads

HawgEnvy
07-20-2011, 05:57 AM
found this earlier this year and have been playin around. Can't wait for squirrel season!
materials needed: 8/32" machine screws w nuts, 5/16" and 1/4" wingnuts.
insert machine screw through wingnut. Use the 8/32" nut to secure the wingnut to the machine screw.thread into your arrow and shoot stuff.

these little boogers are tough and mean. They shred metal coffee cans and pop through cooking pans w ease. I haven't messed up an arrow or a head yet. As near as I can tell judging by the drop at 20yds, the 5/16" heads equal 125gr and 1/4" equal 100gr. Cost? Less than $5 to make 1dz of each size. Compared to $12 for a single G5 SGH. I'll use these instead.

elkslayer4x5
07-20-2011, 06:01 AM
Pictures? Got any Pictures? :)

Arrow Splitter
07-20-2011, 06:24 AM
Hawg! You of all people on here should know the rules!!LOL:p

Sharxfan
07-20-2011, 06:28 AM
Here is some incentive to post pics.

HawgEnvy
07-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Pictures? Got any Pictures? :)

whoa! Look whos back. Good to see ya.

A.S., check ur email for pics

Sharxfan
07-20-2011, 06:57 AM
They don't do the rest of us any good in AS's email Hawg. Just sayin. :cool:

Arrow Splitter
07-20-2011, 09:27 AM
They don't do the rest of us any good in AS's email Hawg. Just sayin. :cool:You see, his "Smart" phone isn't quite smart enough to post pictures, so I'm bailing him out again.LOL:p:D These were shot at 20 yards through a metal toolbox.

cjchasman
07-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Great post Hawg...Thanx AS for the pic xfer...You guys are gonna save some of us a few bucks w/ this idea. And I for 0ne am thankful. And no! I'm not gonna send any of my savings your way. ;)

HawgEnvy
07-20-2011, 11:48 AM
the smaller heads have same POI as FP @ 20yds. Larger ones POI is 1/2" left of FP at 20yds. My guess is they'll blow through small game for a quick kill and saving me from using BH's or SGH. I think the price worked out to be around $.40ea

alex
07-20-2011, 12:18 PM
I also use winged nuts, but put them under the field tips. There's also another kind of nuts - don't know the English name - with four spikes, which are hammered into wood. They make quite good small game heads. I don't shoot them often because they destroy the target like a missile :D I have a YouTube video as far as i remember.

Speedykills
07-20-2011, 01:07 PM
The things i see on here......:p

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Now Now be nice Speedy K.

Hutch :cool:

Destroyer
07-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Cost? Less than $5 to make 1dz of each size. Compared to $12 for a single G5 SGH. I'll use these instead.

Pretty :cool: idea Hawg. Nice and cheap too!

I have a YouTube video as far as i remember.

Link please Alex?

peace
07-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Man I like the ingenuity of this and the price is so right....will add these to my quiver, thanks Hawg for sharing!

gravedigger
07-20-2011, 06:40 PM
no im going to start getting in trouble.i have a unlimited account at ace hardware...

Destroyer
07-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Just don't let them know what your doing with them, they might jack up the $$! :D

elkslayer4x5
07-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Oh H--- yeah! I'll be making some of those! I'm guessing that you did'nt shoot any for group? I know that I would'nt want to. Which flies better ? Wings forward or backward? :)

alex
07-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Link please Alex?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFuc3LCg3_0 :)

Sharxfan
07-21-2011, 01:21 PM
The ones in the video are a little different than the ones listed. I wonder if using the carriage bolt washer causes flight issues versus the wing nut version.

Destroyer
07-21-2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFuc3LCg3_0 :)

Those are one mean looking head. Cheers mate! :)

I wonder if using the carriage bolt washer causes flight issues versus the wing nut version.

Its hard too say. The washer might fly better due to being more even (no wings) but drop speed more downrange?

HawgEnvy
07-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Oh H--- yeah! I'll be making some of those! I'm guessing that you did'nt shoot any for group? I know that I would'nt want to. Which flies better ? Wings forward or backward? :)

no groups. Lol! I think it's just a preferance thing. They seem to fly the same either way. The wings forward have a slight advantage in a way cuz they snag the grass and twigs and flip the arrow more than than other which buries into the ground. When season gets here I'm going to try them both ways to get some real results. I'll keep some in my quiver during deer season for those boring moments,too.

HawgEnvy
07-21-2011, 05:38 PM
[url] :)

I gotta try those,too. What are those washers from? Gonna have to look for them at Lowe's tomorrow.

gravedigger
07-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I gotta try those,too. What are those washers from? Gonna have to look for them at Lowe's tomorrow.

the washers with spikes on them are used for pounding into wood to ensure they stay in place.

Sharxfan
07-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Actually the washers are for carriage bolts that is why they have the square hole in them. Try looking in the items that are in the sliding drawers in the nuts and bolt section. I couldn't find them at the one we have here but it is a smaller store.

HawgEnvy
07-22-2011, 05:55 AM
ok thanks guys. I'll do some looking and let y'all know what I find.

HawgEnvy
07-22-2011, 07:32 AM
found em. At Lowe's in the nuts n bolts isle. They're in the slide out drawers marked furniture parts. Got 2pkgs for a total of 4 @ $2.20. They're called "pronged T-nuts". I got the 8/32x1/4. The C/32 machine screws that I had for the wingnut version thread in so no need for a nut behind it except maybe to add some weight. Gonna do some shootin w them now.

cjchasman
07-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Hawg, Now that it seems you have everyone's creativity in gear... I wonder how a muzzy practice head(or any other) would work? Maybe nub down the tip a little to flatten and notch the blades a little. Has anyone tried one? Not as economical as the wing nut design but should eliminate most of the in-flight issues. Hmmm...may be doing some experimenting this weekend.

HawgEnvy
07-22-2011, 09:44 AM
found em. At Lowe's in the nuts n bolts isle. They're in the slide out drawers marked furniture parts. Got 2pkgs for a total of 4 @ $2.20. They're called "pronged T-nuts". I got the 8/32x1/4. The C/32 machine screws that I had for the wingnut version thread in so no need for a nut behind it except maybe to add some weight. Gonna do some shootin w them now.

DO NOT shoot these at your toolbox! Lol. Left a good sized hole(.410 shotgun slug) on impact. ZERO penetration,arrow damage,and bent T-nut resulted. Would probably be awesome for a shock kill similar to the rubber blunt tips. Will test shock/kill abilities on one of the many feral cats that live in the swamp across the road next time I see one.

alex
07-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Hawg, i forgot to tell that those should be shot only at soft targets. Sorry! ;) Thanks for telling the correct English name. I've shot these small game heads only at about 10 yards and can't say how they affect the arrow flight. I guess they act like flu-flues.
Show some mercy to the cats and test them on rats (if you can find any). I think the result would be impressive :D

HawgEnvy
07-22-2011, 03:08 PM
the cats aren't pets. They're ones people abandon on the rd thinking someone will give them a home. Then they make a home in the woods/swamps and breed. They need to be managed like other wildlife. But on another note, I just found out that my parents Church has a population of groundhawgs. They aren't native to Michigan. I'm guessing they hitched a ride w the Pastor on his way home from his many trips out west. Tomorrow I'm planning on taking the bow to Church tomorrow morning. No closed season on these guys considering they aren't supposed to be here. Lol

gravedigger
07-22-2011, 03:34 PM
the cats aren't pets. They're ones people abandon on the rd thinking someone will give them a home. Then they make a home in the woods/swamps and breed. They need to be managed like other wildlife. But on another note, I just found out that my parents Church has a population of groundhawgs. They aren't native to Michigan. I'm guessing they hitched a ride w the Pastor on his way home from his many trips out west. Tomorrow I'm planning on taking the bow to Church tomorrow morning. No closed season on these guys considering they aren't supposed to be here. Lol

i have to say thats a first.never hear about a guy taking his bow to church to thin out the population.lol

Ford
07-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Hey great post. I tried a 5/32 bolt with a 1" washer as a blunt, from 15-20yds same point of impact, didnt try and further shots, but free and accurate is great! love this forum.

alex
07-23-2011, 03:46 AM

I've meant not to shoot the cats with these arrowheads - if you miss their skulls i don't think the impact would be deadly enough. However the groundhawgs will be a good target .... unless Someone up there decides that it's not cool to kill in one of His homes on Sunday (and i don't mean the pastor) ;) :D

Destroyer
07-23-2011, 03:25 PM
I've meant not to shoot the cats with these arrowheads

I agree, cats should only be shot with broadheads. Too hard to head shoot consistently.

elkslayer4x5
07-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Pretty sure that this will do the job on a feral cat. Which, by the way, are eating the local quail population, as well as tree rats. any bunnys, and so on. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/wingnutbroadhead.jpg

Ehunter
07-24-2011, 01:07 PM
As long as the cat isn't armored, that thing should go right through it. I'd think you'd have as good of a pass through as a judo point, and I have shot several rabbits with those and gotten clean pass throughs. Sharpen the wings on the nuts, and you might have something that would even take down a coyote. A friend of mine used to use adder points, but turn them around so the "legs" were pointing forwards. That really put a whallop on small game.

alex
07-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Sharpen the wings on the nuts, and you might have something that would even take down a coyote.

Good idea!

HawgEnvy
08-09-2011, 08:36 AM
i just picked up some new field points last night. they're for carbons instead of aluminum arrows. they have a longer shank on them. so i put 2 and 2 together,came out to 3 and ended up with this.

i'll do some tests later today and post results

MLN1963
08-09-2011, 09:44 AM
It seems like all these would blow right thru a small animal and end up destroying the arrow once it hit the ground?

HawgEnvy
08-09-2011, 11:10 AM
It seems like all these would blow right thru a small animal and end up destroying the arrow once it hit the ground?

not so far. theyve been shot through a metal tool box and metal coffee cans into the ground and no damage to the head or shaft yet. ive been playing w these since early spring and no issues. i also shoot from my roof at soda cans,gatorade bottles,etc for practice with these heads. they work awesome.

Destroyer
08-09-2011, 02:41 PM
What is the final weight?