PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Weight

Bromz
07-20-2011, 07:06 AM
Buying a new Exile and curious as to what weight arrows would be best. Im gonn have a 29 in draw and pull 70 lbs. broadheads I have are 100gr.
Any help on how to figure this would be great! Thanks:confused:

gravedigger
07-20-2011, 07:11 AM
welcome to the forum.this is just a rule of thumb and by no meens set in stone but a min of 5 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw.and spine also plays into this as well.i shoot 73 lbs and my arrows are a 75-95 arrow,thats a 350 or 340 spine arrow im shooting.you could go with a 55-70 spine arrow but i like to have that exta bit so in my mind im not thinking that cabron shaft might snap due to the spine being right on the edge.

Bromz
07-20-2011, 07:18 AM
So would that be 350 gr plus broadhead of 100 gr. totaling 450 gr.?

cjchasman
07-20-2011, 08:03 AM
http://www.eastonarchery.com/company/faq

http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_arrows/hunting_arrows_selection_guide_chapter_3.htm

Here are a couple links of good reading relative to arrows/archery.
The arrow will have a gr. per inch weight assigned to it by the manufacturer, as will the broad head or field tip. The combined weight is important as is the gr. per inch,spine etc. Most arrow manufacturers supply info charts on the arrow carton.

MLN1963
07-20-2011, 08:13 AM
5 grains of weight per pound of pull is the minimum recommended and considered to be safe. Anything less then 5 grn/lb is said to be like dry firing a bow.

Here is where it will get very opinionated. You have the light arrow fast speeds crowd and then you have the heavy slow arrow crowd. The two crowds can not and will not acknowledge the other crowds side. Sorta like Hatfields and McCoys. The heavy crowd says they have the advantage with more down range kinetic energy (KE). The light crowd says their arrow gets there faster and still has the KE. I have seen a video that sort of debunked the heavy arrow advantage. The shooter sent heavy and light arrows down range into the same target. All the lighter arrows actually had deeper penetration than the heavy arrows surprising everyone.

Then you have high Front Of Center, Fixed vs Mechanical, Feathers vs Vanes and on and on.

Get whatever arrows you like. Practice, practice, practice. Make ethical kills. Post pics when you are done. :cool:

gravedigger
07-20-2011, 09:17 AM
http://www.goldtip.com/productdetail.aspx?ptid=3
http://www.goldtip.com/calculators.aspx
there are factors in arrow weight.first you have your bare shaft with grains per inch,so your arrow(depending on what brand you get)weighs in at oh lets say 8.9gpi andyou cut it down to 28" that would be 249.2,then you have your feild point at 100g so now your up to349.2,then you add the weight of you vains at 5g now your at 364.2,then you have you insert at 12g and then you knock at 11g so your at 383 give or take a point.but all and all i look at the spine of a arrow,because i dont want it to blow up upon release and have your hand looking like ground beef.not trying to scare you but that is why i shoot a arrow rated for 75-95lbs,in turn that would be a 340 spine arrow.i shoot goldtip pro hunter and i have inserted liks to calculate foc and and one is to see spine and weight info....what arrows are you going with?and how new or seasond to archery are you?

Bromz
07-20-2011, 11:23 AM
http://www.goldtip.com/productdetail.aspx?ptid=3
http://www.goldtip.com/calculators.aspx
there are factors in arrow weight.first you have your bare shaft with grains per inch,so your arrow(depending on what brand you get)weighs in at oh lets say 8.9gpi andyou cut it down to 28" that would be 249.2,then you have your feild point at 100g so now your up to349.2,then you add the weight of you vains at 5g now your at 364.2,then you have you insert at 12g and then you knock at 11g so your at 383 give or take a point.but all and all i look at the spine of a arrow,because i dont want it to blow up upon release and have your hand looking like ground beef.not trying to scare you but that is why i shoot a arrow rated for 75-95lbs,in turn that would be a 340 spine arrow.i shoot goldtip pro hunter and i have inserted liks to calculate foc and and one is to see spine and weight info....what arrows are you going with?and how new or seasond to archery are you?

I will probably go with easton or gold tip. I have been bow hunting for 6 years and this is my third bow. Bought a martin mag cat in 2006 had a bear whitetail hunter for my first so I am really looking forward to this upgrade. Cant find to many places around central illinois that sell martins without an hour or more drive. bought the exile online in a package and am waiting for it to arrive. figure if i cant finish setting it up then i will have to pay someone to do it. either way i want it right.

Destroyer
07-20-2011, 02:32 PM
The 425 gr arrow would give the same 66 ft pounds, but have a little more momentum.

Momentum is very important and that weight is what I would be recommending, 400 to 450 grains for hunting. A Gold Tip Expedition 7595 or Velocity Hunter in 340 or 300 depending on how your bow tunes would make an good economical hunting arrow.

Jake-the-snake
07-20-2011, 07:28 PM
get some Easton FMJ 340's in 28" length...youll never look back

droppixel
07-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Momentum is very important and that weight is what I would be recommending, 400 to 450 grains for hunting. A Gold Tip Expedition 7595 or Velocity Hunter in 340 or 300 depending on how your bow tunes would make an good economical hunting arrow.

Shooting the Velocity 400s right now - estimated weight at 340-345 grains. Have no doubt these are going to light the whitetail up - but the Kinetics have my fancy tickled a little bit. Might give those a whirl sometime.

pizzadave
07-21-2011, 06:41 PM
I chose Carbon Express Mayhem 350 arrows for my 2010 cheetah. I shoot 66 lbs of draw weight, and I have no issues with these arrows. They are very sturdy, and have no reason to not buy them again. I found them on sale for $50 a half dozen. My old man shoots Gold Tip XT hunter 7595s and loves them too. You can actually find gold tips for a cheap price on ebay! He got his dozen fitted with the vanetec "blazer" style vanes cut to 28'' for $72 shipped!

pizzadave
07-21-2011, 06:42 PM
I chose Carbon Express Mayhem 350 arrows for my 2010 cheetah. I shoot 66 lbs of draw weight, and I have no issues with these arrows. They are very sturdy, and have no reason to not buy them again. I found them on sale for $50 a half dozen. My old man shoots Gold Tip XT hunter 7595s and loves them too. You can actually find gold tips for a cheap price on ebay! He got his dozen fitted with the vanetec "blazer" style vanes cut to 28'' for $72 shipped!

and that 72 that was for a dozen arrows

droppixel
07-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Anyone here run TAP or OT2?

Ehunter
07-23-2011, 05:26 AM
Around 400 grains total is a good weight for hunting. The arrows I shoot are 398 gr. Good combination of penetration, KE, and without a big speed loss. Also, a heavier arrow keeps the bow quieter. Lighter arrows don't absorb as much energy, so you have a louder bow, less KE, and less penetration. The ultra small diameter arrows are my personal preference. My current arrows are a .229 OD, and they out penetrate a standard arrow like a Beman ICS Hunter or Gold Tip significantly in the same weight. Smaller diameter also means less effect the wind has on an arrow. Maybe not alot, but it is noticeable when shooting in high winds, especially cross winds.

Destroyer
07-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Anyone here run TAP or OT2?

Have it but don't use it much.

My current arrows are a .229 OD

What are they? Sound expensive.... ;)

Ehunter
07-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Destroyer, they are the Victory Archery VAP's. .229 OD and .166 ID Pretty much the same size as the old Carbon Impact Ultra H 6500's. The VAP's just use a half-out insert instead of the outsert. Not cheap for the best grade (V1), but not too bad for the next best (V3). About that same as most other "premium" arrows. Fly very well, penetrate beyond belief, and are a pretty tough arrow. Can choose different weight inserts, 33 or 43 gr., and have regular style nocks or pin nocks available for them. Started shooting them last year, and can't say a bad thing about them. I think someone else on here was gonna try them as well, but I can't remember who.

Destroyer
07-23-2011, 04:09 PM
not too bad for the next best (V3).

Just checking them out now. Some V3's would nice, but what nock size are they?

Ehunter
07-24-2011, 03:49 AM
Destroyer, the only nocks I have seen that will fit are the ones that come with the arrows. Pretty good nocks though. I have only had two break on me in two years of shooting them. The arrows are pretty much in line with the Easton Axis, FMJ, and Epics as far as price. The larger arrow is a Beman ICS Hunter and it's nock. Smaller arrow is the VAP's and nock. Also threw in one of my deer hunting arrows with the pin nock bushing. 3534

Destroyer
07-24-2011, 05:15 AM
The nocks look like Bohning double lock blazer's?

bfisher
07-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Looking at the Victory website they will accept the Bohning "F" nocks as well as those offered by Victory. My sales rep just handed me a couple Victory arrows the other day to try. I guess he is going to be repping them, in which case I may be getting Victory arrows now and put the Gold Tips to rest for a while.

Ehunter
07-24-2011, 12:04 PM
I know the other arrows Victory offers will accept different nocks, but I didn't know the VAP's would. The V-Force, X-Ringers etc. are all a more standard arrow size. Thinking back though, these are about the same diameter as the Easton ACC's and Superslims.... The target penetration is what really sold me on these. Nearly doubles the penetration of my old Beman ICS arrows. That's gotta transfer over to penetration on animals too.

Destroyer
07-24-2011, 03:34 PM
I know the other arrows Victory offers will accept different nocks, but I didn't know the VAP's would.

Looks like Barry is correct which is good, I'm tough on nocks. From the bohning pdf:

All shafts with G Nock bushing and Victory VAP.

http://www.bohning.com/assets/tech-info/Nock-usage-chart-for-web-site.pdf

The target penetration is what really sold me on these. Nearly doubles the penetration of my old Beman ICS arrows. That's gotta transfer over to penetration on animals too.

Its possible. The smaller diameter should be more stable in windy conditions, that's what interests me.

Ehunter
07-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Destroyer, they do fly alot truer in windy conditions. About half the wind drift I used to get with the Beman ICS's. For hunting, out to 50 yards, it has to be a really strong wind to make any noticeable difference. Now target shooting, I'll leave that up to the guys that can really shoot. lol

Destroyer
07-25-2011, 04:42 PM
They're sounding better and better now. Just need the spare $$$. ;)

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-02-2011, 05:54 PM
With my 2010 Cheetah im shooting 73 lbs. My arrows are right at the minimum of 365 gr. I use just regular Beman Bowhunter 400s and have had no trouble at all with deer. If you were to hunt bigger game def want to raise it up over 400 gr. With deer you don't need as much kinetic energy for most part. I know a few guys who shoot 5-10 gr under spine and have had no trouble. Im not recommending it of course.