PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum, not so new to shooting

nursenick
07-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Hey guys, new member to the forum. I've been browsing the posts for a couple of months. I had a 2009 Saber until I sold it shortly before I deployed last fall. It was a good shooter, tuned extremely well, but just really noisy. I almost didn't go for another Martin, but I couldn't resist after I picked up a Rack Attack (upgraded Exile) at Dick's when I was in on R&R. I took it for a test shoot and loved it - plus it was on sale. All in all, it was going to be a few hundred less than the other bows I was looking at. I bought it. I put a few shots through it with some old arrows I had after I took it home and still loved it.
One thing I was concerned and disappointed about was discovering that people had reported problems with the TRG/SOS system. It looked pretty promising to me, and I like the placement of the string stopper so close to center point of the string. Since I haven't shot mine more than 10 times (and I haven't done any adjustment to it) I can't be sure that I will have problems with it. Being a technical kind of guy, I like to figure out ways to do things better. I want to figure out a way to get that TRG on an angled rod like a slider system rod. It seems to me that if you had a way to adjust both the rod and the TRG on the rod, you could reduce the lateral torque to a minimum. The SOS system seems to be a good idea, although suspending such a thin piece of rubber like that looks like it could have some durability issues. I plan on moving it to the point that the string doesn't quite touch it at rest (as it should be with most any string stopper) and hopefully that will keep it from breaking prematurely.
The bow came with a Whisker Biscuit and Copper John 3-pin sight (which is pretty bright in low light BTW). I plan on replacing the rest with a QAD and putting a single pin sight - not sure which one, but something that doesn't break the bank. If anyone has used the GWS single pin sights, let me know if they are worth the 20 - 30 bucks or if I should look at something else - I'm trying to keep the better half pleased.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with my new purchase. I pretty much spend all my free time looking at rests, sights, arrow shafts, broadheads - you name it - anything archery ha ha. Looking forward to getting back and shooting. Hopefully I won't miss too much of the upcoming S. Indiana archery season, but there's always gun season and late archery - it's all just one big archery season to me!
If anyone has any suggestions or things to look out for on the Exile, let me know. I do believe I will stick with Martin bows for a good long time - you can't beat what you get for the price, and from what I hear about customer service, I don't think I have anything to worry about if something does go amiss.

gravedigger
07-20-2011, 03:03 PM
welcom to the forum.call martin and have them send you a rod and slide,then you have the TRG to dink with and try to improve upon.the sos needs a peice of whether striping placed behind it and that will solve the wareing issue and also extend the noise dapining.you got a good bow.my buddy has an exile and loves it.happy hunting

polaris754
07-20-2011, 03:44 PM
hey`welkies`to the form ,thanks`for`being there for the us` well i would` have` to say the bow`u have`is a good one fer sure ,just give`it the` time it needs andi am sure the` martin will pop out , good luc ;)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Welcome nursenick, You will find this martin family tightly knit.

Hutch:cool:

gravedigger
07-20-2011, 05:42 PM
great bunch of people on here.it a great place to learn somthing and have a heck of a good time time doing it.......AND A BIG THANKS FOR DOING WHAT YOU DO FOR ALL OF US AT HOME.

nursenick
07-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks to all. It's easy to see that this is a close bunch Hutch.
I've learned a bit from just browsing this and other forums, but this forum is unmatched for good stuff about Martin bows and good people it seems.
I loved my Saber (except for the noise), and I already love this Exile, so I'm sure we will put plenty of meat in the freezer together whenever I get her completely set up and shooting fine. I hunt on the ground, so I really love the short ATA and light weight. We shall see about busting a turkey next spring too...

Speedykills
07-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the forum,thanks for your service also............:D