PDA

View Full Version : Trail Camera Help

kylecurtis04
07-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Hey everyone. Looking to purchase a couple new trail cameras that won't break the bank and have been looking at the Moultrie D-55IR. Has anyone had good success with this camera? I have done some reviewing online and am finding mixed emotions about it. I'd say about 75% feel it is a good camera and the other %25, well just complain. Need some honest opinions here guys. Also, it would be great if you could give me some opinions of other good trail cameras. I am currently using a Moultrie D-50 with the white flash and have been successful with it. Is IR better than the white flash? Thanks in advance for all the help.

Sharxfan
07-21-2011, 07:08 PM
I have the D-55IR and it works just fine. I like that it has moon phase and temp on it as you can use it to help pattern the deer. I also use two super cheap cams that have a white flash and the deer don't seem to worry to much about the flash. I use the 55IR in close to my stand and the cheap ones when I am out scouting for activity farther out from where my stands are at the lease. Here is a pic from the 55IR.

martin hunter
07-22-2011, 02:35 AM
I had a D55, it worked great , loved it. only problem was, after after 7 months out, some of the neighbors "kids" needed it more than I did, so they " borrowed " it, they must like it also, cause it was never returned.

Sharxfan
07-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Here is a night shot so you can see it also.

kylecurtis04
07-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Looks like the camera takes some nice pictures.

Sharxfan
07-22-2011, 10:04 AM
BTW check sportsman guide when you look to buy one they have a pretty good deal on them.

Simple Life
07-22-2011, 12:37 PM
I use the older Moultries with no complaints.

pizzadave
07-22-2011, 01:22 PM
The last cam I had was a Moultrie 55... something or other.... cant remember the model... but after using it for 2 months it quit taking night pictures.... When we asked Moultrie what to do, they simply said to take it to the place we bought it. We took it to Cabelas and they told us to send it to Moultrie... neither one would help us out! The new cam my old man and I got is a Primos Truth cam 60... so far... I love it... super clear test pics in my backyard.... and we just set it out last weekend to start seeing what the deer are doing for movement... that will be the real test. The bad part about that cam is it was around $150... vs the moultrie price... of $100 for a damn good camera.

Ehunter
07-23-2011, 04:11 AM
I use the 55IR as well. Bought it because someone was smashing my mailbox, and I wanted to catch whoever it was. (Country living at it's best lol) I used it this past spring for turkey scouting, and will be setting it out for deer in another month or so. Easy to use, good quality pics, and a very nice price. I got mine at Sportsmansguide.com as well. I think I paid $70-80 each for them. Haven't found anything so far that I don't like about them.