PDA

View Full Version : Cats

Ehunter
07-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Not sure what year it was, but I'm guessing about 2004-5. I was sitting in my favorite tree stand that overlooks a tractor path on one side, and a crop field on the other. Alot of deer use this path moving from one place to the other, and across properties. There was a scrape line running down the tractor path for about 200 yards. I had one scrape about 25 yards away, another about 40 yards down the trail. Every Sat. morning I'd go out, throw some juice in the nearest scrape, and climb into my tree. One morning, just as it was getting to be shooting light, a bobcat walked out of the creek bottom right up to the scrape I had sweetened. It "relieved" itself, then began tearing up the ground in the scrape. Then started jumping up and clawing at the licking branches. I thought it rather funny, and watched this go on for a good 10 minutes. Then it just casually walked back into the creek bottom. Didn't see a deer one that morning. The following Sat, the exact same thing happened. Refreshed the scrape, climbed up, and at first light, here comes the bobcat. Peeing in the scrape, clawing at the ground and branches, then just walks off. Again, no deer show up. The next weekend, I follow the same routine, freshen the scrape, climb up, and wait. Again, here comes the bobcat. He pees, claws around, tears at the branches, and finally stops. He walks off about 5 yards and turns to look over his handywork. I let lose with a perfect shot, and he takes off. Runs to the nearest tree, climbs about 5 feet up, and falls back down dead. I waited about 15 minutes, then walked over to where he was laying. Nice looking cat, so I took him to the taxidermist. The following weekend, without the imminent threat of bobcat attack, the deer were back. I shot a nice 140 class 8 pointer out of that same tree that Sat. morning.

Destroyer
07-24-2011, 04:52 PM
without the imminent threat of bobcat attack, the deer were back.

So you got to shoot something and it improved deer hunting as well? :cool:

Any photo's of the cat?

Speedykills
07-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Not sure what year it was, but I'm guessing about 2004-5. I was sitting in my favorite tree stand that overlooks a tractor path on one side, and a crop field on the other. Alot of deer use this path moving from one place to the other, and across properties. There was a scrape line running down the tractor path for about 200 yards. I had one scrape about 25 yards away, another about 40 yards down the trail. Every Sat. morning I'd go out, throw some juice in the nearest scrape, and climb into my tree. One morning, just as it was getting to be shooting light, a bobcat walked out of the creek bottom right up to the scrape I had sweetened. It "relieved" itself, then began tearing up the ground in the scrape. Then started jumping up and clawing at the licking branches. I thought it rather funny, and watched this go on for a good 10 minutes. Then it just casually walked back into the creek bottom. Didn't see a deer one that morning. The following Sat, the exact same thing happened. Refreshed the scrape, climbed up, and at first light, here comes the bobcat. Peeing in the scrape, clawing at the ground and branches, then just walks off. Again, no deer show up. The next weekend, I follow the same routine, freshen the scrape, climb up, and wait. Again, here comes the bobcat. He pees, claws around, tears at the branches, and finally stops. He walks off about 5 yards and turns to look over his handywork. I let lose with a perfect shot, and he takes off. Runs to the nearest tree, climbs about 5 feet up, and falls back down dead. I waited about 15 minutes, then walked over to where he was laying. Nice looking cat, so I took him to the taxidermist. The following weekend, without the imminent threat of bobcat attack, the deer were back. I shot a nice 140 class 8 pointer out of that same tree that Sat. morning.

Thats a good story,my story is just oppisite of your's.

gravedigger
07-24-2011, 05:56 PM
here kitty,kitty,kitty,thawap....down an dead.i lik it

Ehunter
07-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Tried to put a pic with the story, but for some reson, I couldn't. Hopefully it works this time. lol I had it mounted like this so I can move it around the house, and just lay it on any flat surface. It's good for keeping my friends on guard. Seeing it on the couch one time, then on the back of the toilet tank next time, etc. lol 3545

elkslayer4x5
07-25-2011, 06:59 AM
Nice story with a great ending. I do have one question tho, why did'nt you shoot the bobcat the first time you saw it? On my most wanted list, but have never seen one while bow was in hand. :D

Ehunter
07-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Elk, bobcat season wasn't open the first two weekends. lol As soon as it was though, WHACK! Plus, I didn't have the proper license. In Kansas, you have to have a furbearers license to shoot a bobcat or trap one. Only $11 so now I get one every year. I have seen several bobcat on this property, but only two have ever been close enough to try a shot at. This is the only one I have shot at. I'd still like to have one mounted in a walking position. That could be good coming out from behind the couch..........lol

Simple Life
07-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Nice Cat and story EHunter.Like you,we have to have a Furbearers lic to hunt them.I have seen a few hit by cars on the highway and it has been so tempting to pick one up and throw it in the trunk.:rolleyes:

Destroyer
07-25-2011, 05:07 PM
It's good for keeping my friends on guard. Seeing it on the couch one time, then on the back of the toilet tank next time, etc. lol

LOL! :D

Its bigger than our puddy cats. We have nothing like that here, except for the 'panther' :rolleyes:.

gravedigger
07-25-2011, 05:29 PM
LOL! :D

except for the 'panther' :rolleyes:.

not the kind of cat i would mees with.we have cougars and bob cats,i wont mess with the cougars

Arrow Splitter
07-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Nice kitty!!:eek:http://www.cobrabrigade.com/photos/wildcat-cougar.jpg

Destroyer
07-25-2011, 06:06 PM
not the kind of cat i would mees with

The 'Panther' isn't real, its a bit similar to the 'bigfoot' thing. :D

Nice kitty!!

Big kitty!

gravedigger
07-25-2011, 06:08 PM
this is why i fear hunting by my self.http://images.imagelinky.com/1311648178.jpg (http://images.imagelinky.com/1311648178.jpg)

Destroyer
07-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Look at the size of that cat! :eek:

Arrow Splitter
07-26-2011, 05:15 AM
Destroyer, Panthers actually are real. They have a few names, but the common name is the Black Panther.3563

Arrow Splitter
07-26-2011, 05:16 AM
this is why i fear hunting by my self.http://images.imagelinky.com/1311648178.jpg (http://images.imagelinky.com/1311648178.jpg):eek::eek::eek:That's a cat that I would not want to be within 10 miles from.

elkslayer4x5
07-26-2011, 07:18 AM
this is why i fear hunting by my self.http://images.imagelinky.com/1311648178.jpg (http://images.imagelinky.com/1311648178.jpg)

Its also why my bike looks like this when I'm out riding. All of the Mountain lion attacks I've read or heard about where people on mountain bikes. Just like the house cat, if it runs, they'll chase, and to a cat, riding a bike looks like running. Bike also is carring when I'm hunting, Oregon allows personal protection.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/DSCN0084.jpg

Arrow Splitter
07-26-2011, 08:29 AM
A bike with firepower.:cool::cool::cool:

Ehunter
07-26-2011, 12:02 PM
I bet not many try to run him off a path. lol Every official in Kansas has said for years that we don't have mountain lions here. One was shot earlier this year up by the University of Kansas campus. They have pics of that cat on trail cams actually ON the campus. One was hit on the highway about 20 miles from my house. Some friends say they have seen one several times just 2 miles north of my house. Not sure how many cats we DO have here in Kansas, but I have even seen one myself years ago.

Destroyer
07-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Destroyer, Panthers actually are real.

I know lol! They just don't exist here in the wild. The reason I said it was like bigfoot is because there is a town here that keeps claiming to have one roaming around. People claim they have seen it and there has been a few videos but it wasn't a panther. Bit of a draw card for the area.

Rangerj
07-28-2011, 03:37 PM
E Hunter good story and a beautiful cat.I have seen a few bobcats here but never during bow season.And BTW good shot. :cool:

Destroyer
07-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Oregon allows personal protection.

That looks like the best accessory for a bike that you could get. I'm so jealous! ;)

I bet not many try to run him off a path.

ROLF!!! :D

Rangerj
07-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Good looking tactical/combat bike. :D

gravedigger
07-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Its also why my bike looks like this when I'm out riding. All of the Mountain lion attacks I've read or heard about where people on mountain bikes. Just like the house cat, if it runs, they'll chase, and to a cat, riding a bike looks like running. Bike also is carring when I'm hunting, Oregon allows personal protection.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/DSCN0084.jpg

im waiting to see the forward mount full auto on that bike.like the sons-of-guns guy did the other day

elkslayer4x5
07-29-2011, 06:10 AM
Here's another reason I ride a loaded bike! The lower ribbon is 36 inches.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Bears/Bigblackie.jpg

peace
07-30-2011, 04:31 AM
The gun on the bike just doesn't seem secure enough to me. Rather a shoulder or chest rig or side holster, that just looks precarious. Yet to each his own.

I am loving the cat images in this thread though. Both of the cougars and the black panther...sweet images.

elkslayer4x5
07-30-2011, 07:01 AM
Actually it's very secure, has two Velcro strips, one through the belt loops and the other wrapped around the bottom of the holster and the yoke, right above the forks, and the bottom actually rests on the forks, does'nt move. On my daily ride, ( a 3 mile dirt and rock road, with a 550 ft eleavation change ) I see two places where I swerve to avoid mountain lion scat. Right above the Tauraus is my GPS, the red handled shears are to keep the Devel's Club vines and blackberry vines off the road.

peace
08-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Elkslayer4x5
Out west you might be just worried about the four legged beast but back east here, I would be worried about the two-legged kind doing a bum rush for the hand gun. Here carry is concealed only. Showing a handgun here will get your permit snatched. Thus from my frame of reference that wouldn't work but from yours it is just the ticket.