PDA

View Full Version : Groups

Ehunter
07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Not really an off-topic, but what group sizes does everyone shoot at say 30 yards? On average. Not the one time you shot a 1/2 inch group while it was totally windstill Hutch. lol

gravedigger
07-25-2011, 02:49 PM
oh i would have to say about 4'' to 8'' groups depending on how i am feeling.but i have not tryed to shoot groups for some time now.i dont likeit when my arows touch,so i pic a spot for each shot.but i have really shaky hand's like to the point that there is no way i could be a doctor.it runs in my family.somthing to do with an over ctive thyroied

cjchasman
07-26-2011, 03:01 PM
3566 Both pics are second round of 4 @30 yds.. First round was a little wider. I used some older arrows cause I rarely shoot groups. Don't like taking the chance of bustin up my arrows.3565

Simple Life
07-26-2011, 03:09 PM
30 about 3-4" and 40 3-6",not going to win any trophys,but good enough to put one in the boiler room;)

Destroyer
07-26-2011, 03:59 PM
4" at 30 yards but I don't have great form atm . I don't shoot groups much except for sighting in for two reasons. First is the obvious damage you get and the other is that it lies sometimes.

RLW
07-27-2011, 05:33 AM
Here's a couple blurry pictures from some indoor practice a few months ago.........some days are tighter (& some wider), but I'd say this is fairly typical groups I might shoot, including the 3rd or 4th arrow I seem to pull off a bit low/right. Not sure what size those dots are.........3"? and appears that day I hitting a bit left.

After a few weeks of not shooting, finally did a little outside practice yesterday afternoon out to 60yds, and found myself hitting to the just off right most shots this time.
.........30yds

.........40yds

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Not really an off-topic, but what group sizes does everyone shoot at say:rolleyes: 30 feet? On average. Not the one time you shot a 1/2 inch group while it was totally windstill Hutch. lol
Eh, 30 feet I can do that! Even with wind.:p

Hutch:cool:

HawgEnvy
07-27-2011, 02:48 PM
soon as I get a new target I'll shoot groups and take pics for proof. On a typical day, my 30yd groups are 4 arrows touching inside of a 2.5" circle. At 40yds they aren't ALL touching,but are inside of 3" circle. Wish I could find a way to shoot groups in live 'coons. That's all the shooting I've been able to do lately. Lol

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
soon as I get a new target I'll shoot groups and take pics for proof. On a typical day, my 30yd groups are 4 arrows touching inside of a 2.5" circle. At 40yds they aren't ALL touching,but are inside of 3" circle. Wish I could find a way to shoot groups in live 'coons. That's all the shooting I've been able to do lately. LolBuild your own target Hawg. We have one we made about a year ago, and it must have 8000 shots or more in it. The facing is still good condition other than a little 4" hole, which is still shoot-able. The target is 3' wide 4' tall and 20" deep, that is our indoor one. The out door one is a block that we made as well.

cjchasman
07-27-2011, 03:35 PM
soon as I get a new target I'll shoot groups and take pics for proof. On a typical day, my 30yd groups are 4 arrows touching inside of a 2.5" circle. At 40yds they aren't ALL touching,but are inside of 3" circle. Wish I could find a way to shoot groups in live 'coons. That's all the shooting I've been able to do lately. Lol

Hawg,
We don't "need " proof but it will still be fun to see the pics. If you need aide to post pics let AS know. lol :D

Speedykills
07-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Looking at these groups i dont think you guys should own a bow.................Ah just kidding looks like my groups,i got a new glock f-16 target im breakin in this eveing ill take a pic to see how i do.

gravedigger
07-27-2011, 03:52 PM
20 yards befor i broke my hand.and this is why i stoped shooting groups,arrows cost too much.http://images.imagelinky.com/1311812891.JPG (http://images.imagelinky.com/1311812891.JPG)

Speedykills
07-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Looking at these groups i dont think you guys should own a bow.................Ah just kidding looks like my groups,i got a new glock f-16 target im breakin in this eveing ill take a pic to see how i do.

Ok here's my 30yd groups,not the best but 102 outside didnt want to stay out to long.I wont be shooting anymore field tips into block target,way to hard to pull out, broad heads come out like butter.
I used my muzzy mx3 practise head little low but not to bad.Might have to do some painting on it all black is hard to see need more color.Really like those new limbs seems bow is alot more quiet.....but this is on par for my 30yd groups now 40yds, well lets just say i hope i dont need to take that shot.

Arrow Splitter
07-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Hawg,
We don't "need " proof but it will still be fun to see the pics. If you need aide to post pics let AS know. lol :DHmmmm....What should I charge per photo??? I wonder.....:p:D

gravedigger
07-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Hmmmm....What should I charge per photo??? I wonder.....:p:D

$1,000,000.00 euro's

Destroyer
07-27-2011, 06:27 PM
So what are you guys actually averaging, and by averaging I mean at least 7 out of 10 and preferably 8 out of 10. Posting a photo is all fine and dandy but it proves nothing.

Speedykills
07-27-2011, 06:49 PM
So what are you guys actually averaging, and by averaging I mean at least 7 out of 10 and preferably 8 out of 10. Posting a photo is all fine and dandy but it proves nothing.

So if we shoot 7 out of ten or 8 out of 10 then post a photo's of it all it will mean nothing!!!so how are we suppost to prove something if a photo means nothing.Im picking up a little Anti Martin in your tone do you still have a chip on your shoulder.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

gravedigger
07-27-2011, 06:58 PM

i kind of get what your getting at.anyone cold shove arrows in a target,take a pic and say i shoot the tighest groups around.but the same stands true for saying an averge as well.thats why we just take it as it is and trust what people are posting.here this is my favorit group.what ya think.
http://images.imagelinky.com/1311824008.JPG (http://images.imagelinky.com/1311824008.JPG)

Destroyer
07-27-2011, 07:13 PM
So if we shoot 7 out of ten or 8 out of 10 then post a photo's of it all it will mean nothing

How can a photo prove your consistency? I could just as easy shoot a single 1" group at 20 yards and say it was 40. And I'm not asking you to prove anything just be to accurate and honest. If your shooting sub 3" groups with broaheads at 40 yards at least 7 out of 10 times that is fine too.

Im picking up a little Anti Martin in your tone do you still have a chip on your shoulder.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

That is real nice, a little upset are you?

Speedykills
07-27-2011, 07:39 PM
How can a photo prove your consistency? I could just as easy shoot a single 1" group at 20 yards and say it was 40. And I'm not asking you to prove anything just be to accurate and honest. If your shooting sub 3" groups with broaheads at 40 yards at least 7 out of 10 times that is fine too.

That is real nice, a little upset are you?

Not upset just concerned about how lately you have gone against the grind in your post like your trying to pick at peoples nerve's ever since your limbs cracked on the shadowcat,now i can see getting a little bent buts it's been awhile now and your still venting between the lines it seems.Were here to have fun and help people out,so maybe you need a little help............

Destroyer
07-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Not upset just concerned about how lately you have gone against the grind in your post like your trying to pick at peoples nerve's

If you were concerned then you could have just pm'd me, not this rubbish. What other posts are you talking about? I've always been about the same here, never been a 'fanboy' by any means. That means I sometimes say things that could be anti Martin and if you or anyone else including the admins or Martin has a problem with it then they can discuss it or simply ban me.

t buts it's been awhile now and your still venting between the lines it seems

Just be careful interpreting someones lines, you might get it wrong.

so maybe you need a little help............

Again, very nice of you.

Ehunter
07-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Looks like everyone is shooting some pretty good groups. I'd say most of us shoot about the same sized groups. Several of you outshoot me apparently. I think mine is a lack of concentration. I hope we can keep this in the lighthearted, and friendly mood that it was intended. I was just curious about how well my fellow Martin friends shot. Thanks.

Arrow Splitter
07-28-2011, 04:39 AM
This thread is going way off the original topic, and is becoming unfriendly. Let's get back on the original topic, without the heat, or I will have no choice but to lock this thread(Sorry Ehunter).

A.S

Destroyer
07-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Maybe it would be better to delete it A.S and start again, I've certainly caused enough trouble. :confused:

gravedigger
07-28-2011, 03:35 PM
i dont see any problem here.just two people hashing it out in the real world...or in the real net.lol

Arrow Splitter
07-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Maybe it would be better to delete it A.S and start again, I've certainly caused enough trouble. :confused:I'm not going to delete this thread. There is nothing wrong here, except it got too heated. This is a good thread, let's keep it going.

A.S

Rangerj
07-28-2011, 03:41 PM
My groups are not worthy of a photo,average 2 inch at 25 yards.Usually don't shoot farther than that right now. :cool:

Destroyer
07-28-2011, 03:54 PM
My groups are not worthy of a photo,average 2 inch at 25 yards.

I think that is worthy, pretty good actually.

Rangerj
07-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks Destroyer,based on what I see here and other forums,I am lacking.But I am recovering from rotator cuff surgery and my shooting is suffering.Hope to get better.

Destroyer
07-28-2011, 04:21 PM
based on what I see here and other forums,I am lacking

This is the problem, too many on forums state they shoot a lot better. If they are so good then get into tournament shooting and make use of their talent.

Rangerj
07-28-2011, 04:28 PM
This is the problem, too many on forums state they shoot a lot better. If they are so good then get into tournament shooting and make use of their talent.

I hear you, But I am really in need of improvement, I will get there eventually. ;)

Ehunter
07-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Gotta realise, a deers kill zone is roughly a 7 inch circle. The vast majority of deer are shot at 20 yards or less. Personally, I have only shot one deer at more than 28 yards, most have been around 23-25, one as close as 6 feet. As for target shooters, they are just nuts. lol

Destroyer
07-28-2011, 05:22 PM
one as close as 6 feet.

No way I would hit one good that close, the 'buck fever' would hit me big time! Its bad enough just seeing a deer. :eek:

Ehunter
07-29-2011, 01:19 AM
Well, I thought I had missed. lol That was the very first buck I ever killed. I was about 8 feet up in a tree, and he walked right up to the base of the tree, then turned. His head was about 3-4 feet from my left foot when I shot. He ran, I saw the arrow stuck in the ground, and I knew I had missed. Watched him run about 30 yards, then drop. Was shaking so bad I nearly fell that 8 feet out of the tree. Was a nice little 8 pointer. 100-110 inches or so.

RLW
07-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Well, here's another mini group picture from last nights broadhead tuning check.
When doing this tuning I only do two shot groups, firing a broadhead (Wasp SST Hammer) first then the field point at......20...30...40...50 (my self imposed BH limit).......and work my way back to 20.
Last 50yd picture attached. Previous 40yd BH shot was where the white foam crap is poking out just an inch to the right, and fld point was bottom edge of center orange dot.
I was putting the broadheads closer to center during this session than my field points. Guess flinging a several dollar BH on my newest arrows down range must cause me to be slightly more focused on making good shots than a cheap fld point on the old ones.

cyclepath
07-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Man, very impressive groupings guys. I don't group anymore from close range, ie 20, 03 yards. At 120 bucks a dozen for arrows it doesn't pay. Not that I am that good by any means but even I get unlucy once in awhile. I've been shooting at 50 to 60 yards of late, not that I would ever take a shot at that distance but it's fun to see how accurate I can be. We have vitals hanging at different yardages kinda like a 3d course without the whole animal (to cheep for that, lol) did invest in a metal detector for the really bad misses, mostly mine! I'll get after it a couple weeks before the season starts, once again very nice groupings

Arrow Splitter
07-29-2011, 11:22 AM
I don't group anymore from close range, ie 20, 03 yards. Yeah, I wouldn't try grouping at 3 yards either, because it would be too expensive.LOL:D:D

Simple Life
07-29-2011, 01:39 PM

So very true,AT has alot of that BS

Destroyer
07-29-2011, 04:07 PM
His head was about 3-4 feet from my left foot when I shot

Definitely no chance I would have shot well. I'm impressed mate! :)

AT has alot of that BS

Yes, so many potential world champions. And so many can group as good or better than the 1.57" X ring used in the Vegas shoot at 20 yards, even with hunting gear. :rolleyes:

peace
07-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Definitely no chance I would have shot well. I'm impressed mate! :)

Yes, so many potential world champions. And so many can group as good or better than the 1.57" X ring used in the Vegas shoot at 20 yards, even with hunting gear. :rolleyes:

Its all in the wrist. LOL! The keyboard is magical to say the least. The home of all serious Champions "QWERTY Academy of Archery Excellence" annually produces the best or more specifically "virtually the best."

Destroyer
07-30-2011, 10:32 PM
I mean they still shot great, just not great great.

Regardless how you shoot on any given day the technique to shoot well still needs to be there. Some that have claimed to be shooting amazing groups had none.

How many of us have the desire to travel 100s or 1000s of miles, stay entire weekends in motels or hotels or even spend a week of more way from home?

If I could shoot as well as some are claiming on forums it wouldn't stop me at all, I'd be a world champion.

Two that I shot with for many years. One did outstanding at local 3Ds. I know because back then I finished 2nd to him a lot. But he just didn't have it when hitting bigger shoots. The second also shot pretty dang good, whether spots or 3D, but tournament action had him not making a good showing.

The next time you see them ask what their average at 30 yards is, would be interesting to know.

Speedykills
07-31-2011, 03:21 AM
Well, guys and if any, girls, there a lot of good shooters, just that they are in back yards. Going head to head in competition is far different. I know a lot of dang good shooters, but once in the bigger shoots they paled a bit. I mean they still shot great, just not great great. Another thing about the "back yard" is it's their back yard. Same as for anyone in here. You probably do shoot good in your own back yard, but go to someone else's back yard and things are different.
And to tournament shoot and make use of the talent? B.S. big time. How many of us have the desire to travel 100s or 1000s of miles, stay entire weekends in motels or hotels or even spend a week of more way from home? And you're paying this out of your pocket. Unless your in the Pro division you're not looking at enough money to pay for much at all. There only a hand full of Pros who are full time Pros - collect contract paychecks that are pretty hefty. Next, how many full time Pros make a living for any length of time? And what about after you're no longer able to collect that big pay check? The vast majority of Pros either have a job or have to find a job.

Two that I shot with for many years. One did outstanding at local 3Ds. I know because back then I finished 2nd to him a lot. But he just didn't have it when hitting bigger shoots. The second also shot pretty dang good, whether spots or 3D, but tournament action had him not making a good showing.

Think about this. These great big shoots. What's makes them big shoots? Contestants. 900 to over a 1000 show up and maybe 5 to 10 might get a sizable chunk of change. Others get chump change and the vast majority just go home. Yep, them pictures of winners holding up them big paychecks look great to us, but they don't tell the whole story.

Good read tells it like it is,But there is always a bad apple in the bunch to bad though.

cyclepath
07-31-2011, 10:06 AM
I shot spot for one season, most boring thing I have ever done. Some guys and gals love it, they are very good at it and their scores reflect it. I just couldn't wrap my head around it and my overall score at the end showed it. I have much more fun at a 3d shoot. I don't go there will the expectations of winning, just enjoying being outside shooting with friends. We usually have a friendly competition between ourselves, loser buys the beer when we get back. As Sonny mentioned about how far some of these shoots may be from where you live we drive about 240 miles round trip to go to these, one north of us and one to the south. Wish we had some closer but so far nothing in the works. By the way, you would be surprised some of the groups we get, I sometimes wonder if the idea is to break the other guys arrow. None of us will admit it lol. Great fun though.

NuttyNative
07-31-2011, 07:58 PM
Here's mine at 30
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/Fishing/MartyPHONE006.jpg

Destroyer
07-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Nice group NuttyNative! :D

What is the size of the yellow spot?

Speedykills
08-01-2011, 03:22 AM
Here's mine at 30
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/Fishing/MartyPHONE006.jpg

Are you sure you didnt just stick those arrows in there.............lol just kidding good groups,nice practise with a deer on the run like that.

NuttyNative
08-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Nice group NuttyNative! :D

What is the size of the yellow spot?

Yellow circle is 2".

Simple Life
08-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Good shooting NN:D

peace
08-01-2011, 12:13 PM
all my arrows would fit in the space of a dime thats why I use a 5 spot target, LOL! :cool:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Good shooting!NNative.

NuttyNative
08-01-2011, 02:06 PM
all my arrows would fit in the space of a dime thats why I use a 5 spot target, LOL! :cool:

Ya, mine are tighter now that I shoot more. I had to quit grouping. My buddy wanted me to group broadheads, I said no way, so he says... use my arrows. I jump on that and now he has 5 that need to be refletched. My Shuttle T's are slicers.

Ehunter
08-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Lol Grouping broadheads is never a good idea unless it's someone else's arrows. lol Some good shooting there NN!

Destroyer
08-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Yellow circle is 2".

Even better group then. ;)

never a good idea unless it's someone else's arrows

Exactly lol! :D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Be nice I am a virgin, I been building too many string sets. Not enough shooting. But I got out today practiced up and here it goes. Here is one of the warm ups.
Here is the results.
Here is 40 yards second try!
I can tell you I am out of it. I need to get back to regular shooting. Nightly!
Pardon the old ratty target. We gave away the last 2 targets we made. So I went to build another and the table saw died. :mad:

shaverd
08-04-2011, 06:15 AM
Well, my groups are not like the ones I am seeing and hearing about here but I am in the kill zone even out to about 40 yards.

I did Robin Hood an arrow last week, stuck it right down the the middle and split the arrow. Thats a first for me. Ruined both arrows. To bad the shot was 3 inches left of my intended target.

Sharxfan
08-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I am totally stoked. I shot 2 sets of 2 at 20 yds and they were both in the heart on my target and it is about 3x3. At 30 yds I shot the first set of 2 and they were both right on one another but way right. I adjusted my stance a little and the next two sets went right in the heart.
I am not sure why the sudden improvment in my shooting but my theory is I started running on the treadmill at least twice a week for 45 minutes and have done it for about a month now and this is the first time I have shot since starting. Maybe my arm is getting steadier because the body is getting fitter.

Although I did have to dig and arrow out of the 4x4 leg on my target stand. I guess my 50 yd in is a tad high need to lower it as I missed by about 6 inches low.

I wonder if this will make my rifle groups better as well........hhhhhmmmmmm that would not be bad at all.

HawgEnvy
08-06-2011, 11:21 AM
i spent the last half hour before dark last night building the frame and gathering materials to build my target. worked all morning in a refreshing downpour trying to finish it up. still isnt done,but done enough for a test drive. heres my 37yd group that i managed to sneak in between the rain storms. i figured 37yd was a good compromise between 30-40yds.

the target stops the arrows real nice. i built the frame using a 2x6 top/bottom and 2x4 for the sides. i used the carpet that i pulled out of an old camper and wrapped it around the frame and used roofing nails to secure the carpet. i took my old Arrow Brake 2 bag target that was beyond worn and dropped it inside on top of a piece of 2" thick foam. in front of the bag target i stuffed another piece of 2"x26"sq foam. i continued stuffing with as much crap as i could find. old blankets,more screen,some plastic window film. then i packed it all nice n tight before nailing the top closed. for the finishing touches, im going to use an old 14ft trampoline mat wrapped an nailed so ill have a smooth black face. on one side ill either use stick on dots or paint them on. the other side ill paint a body of a deer(front of front shoulder to front of rear leg. ive never been one for practicing shooting at outlined vitals. IMO,thats useless. so long as i can see the crease of the front leg,im good. ill get some more good pics when im done. oh, total cost so far..$O. when its done,ill weigh it,but im thinking its close to 30lbs right now. also thinking about making a base and adding some tires to make moving it easier.:cool:

HawgEnvy
08-06-2011, 11:25 AM
OOPS! forgot the pics. lol!37593760

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Hawg, I bet that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Good group! nice shooting!

Ehunter
08-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Very nice group Hawg. Good looking target too.

HawgEnvy
08-06-2011, 02:58 PM
thanks gents. going to start another thread w finished pics of the target

cjchasman
08-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Very nice group HawgEnvy...I think I see a little drop of raccoon blood on a fletching.

cjchasman
08-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Ooops...Read back a few threads, been gone a few days...Good shooting NN and you too Hutch "The Virgin Archer". Good groups everyone!
Now stop b4 someone pokes an eye out.lol

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Ooops...Read back a few threads, been gone a few days...Good shooting NN and you too Hutch "The Virgin Archer". Good groups everyone!
Now stop b4 someone pokes an eye out.lolAwww I wanted to poke an eye out;)

HawgEnvy
08-06-2011, 06:47 PM
"Virgin Archer" LOL. add it to your sig,Hutch

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-07-2011, 02:52 AM
"Virgin Archer" LOL. add it to your sig,HutchNow Now!! be nice it was my first time shooting in months. Especially outdoors:p. It is a lot different inside shooting than out.

Simple Life
08-07-2011, 04:25 AM
Now Now!! be nice it was my first time shooting in months. Especially outdoors:p. It is a lot different inside shooting than out.

Thats funny Virgin Archer:D

Ehunter
08-07-2011, 04:48 AM
Maybe Hutch could start going to some 3D shoots this year and call it his "Virgin Tour". lol

MLN1963
08-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Gotta realise, a deers kill zone is roughly a 7 inch circle. The vast majority of deer are shot at 20 yards or less. Personally, I have only shot one deer at more than 28 yards, most have been around 23-25, one as close as 6 feet. As for target shooters, they are just nuts. lol

I was under the impression that the whitetail kill zone was 10"-14" depending on the size of the deer. 7" is quite a bit smaller. Where did you get 7" from, heart shot only, no lungs? I'm new to this so I am trying to learn not dispute in case it looks that way.

Rangerj
08-07-2011, 12:11 PM
http://www.chuckhawks.com/kill_zone_game_animals.htm Here is this guy idea on it.

Ehunter
08-07-2011, 04:07 PM
MLN, It's what I've always heard, and from the deer I have field dressed, it seems to be pretty close. Might be a bit larger than that, but a 7 inch circle is a good guage. The heart is about the size of my fist, the lungs stick up above and behind the heart about the same distance, so maybe an 8-9 inch circle. Larger animals like elk go up to about 14 inches. Granted, the bigger the deer, the bigger the kill zone. The average I have shot the last few years have been over 250#, and they were roughly a 9 inch circle. Just hit them in the lower half, and watch them drop. Hit them high, and they'll take a while longer to drop, and leave far less of a blood trail.

shaverd
08-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Hey, had a good day shooting today. Even had a couple 5 arrow two inch groups at twenty and thirty yards. The only problem is I am not consistant. I would turn around and have a four of five inch group right after a good close group. At least there all in the kill zone.

Arrow Splitter
08-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Hey, had a good day shooting today. Even had a couple 5 arrow two inch groups at twenty and thirty yards. The only problem is I am not consistant. I would turn around and have a four of five inch group right after a good close group. At least there all in the kill zone.That's right, for us hunters, we just need to hit the kill zone.:cool:

Destroyer
08-08-2011, 03:42 PM
The only problem is I am not consistant. I would turn around and have a four of five inch group right after a good close group.

4" to 5" at 20 yards is a good average for most hunters so its not a bad thing at all.

That's right, for us hunters, we just need to hit the kill zone

Good point, you need to be putting your arrows in the kill zone not worrying about group sizes. Its no good if your grouping 2" groups if its not where you need to hit.

cjchasman
08-08-2011, 06:07 PM
If you want to surprise yourself start with what you would consider your average max hunting distance, mine is about 22-25 yds. Put out a deer pattern target or a 3d deer, shoot from stand heigth if you are a tree stand hunter or use your blind or whatever your preference. Wear some hunting cloths and shoot one arrow; one arrow. Then realize that that is the shot you have to count on when the time comes. Live with it, think what could have made it better Don't forget that you generally knew at what distance the target stood. We started doing this at hunting camp and it makes you realize how important form is and a 3 or 4 shot warm up b4 taking to the woods. Groups are good but putting one where it has to go when the oppurtunity comes will keep the freezer full.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-09-2011, 12:53 AM
If you want to surprise yourself start with what you would consider your average max hunting distance, mine is about 22-25 yds. Put out a deer pattern target or a 3d deer, shoot from stand heigth if you are a tree stand hunter or use your blind or whatever your preference. Wear some hunting cloths and shoot one arrow; one arrow. Then realize that that is the shot you have to count on when the time comes. Live with it, think what could have made it better Don't forget that you generally knew at what distance the target stood. We started doing this at hunting camp and it makes you realize how important form is and a 3 or 4 shot warm up b4 taking to the woods. Groups are good but putting one where it has to go when the oppurtunity comes will keep the freezer full.Good point Cj, that is why my treestand is up in the front yard.

Ehunter
08-09-2011, 04:26 PM
I leave a treestand up all year long just for that purpose. About once a week, climb up, take ONE shot. Move the 3D deer target each time to an unknown distance, and different angle. I did finally get the FC400 shooting broadheads well, so now I can concentrate on that one shot.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-09-2011, 04:31 PM
I leave a treestand up all year long just for that purpose. About once a week, climb up, take ONE shot. Move the 3D deer target each time to an unknown distance, and different angle. I did finally get the FC400 shooting broadheads well, so now I can concentrate on that one shot.Wow sounds like you know what your doing. I'd do the same but I would have to borrow your 3d deer.:rolleyes: I haven't been in my treestand but 2 or 3 times. It has a lot to do with the string making thing. But I won't let it stop me. I will start practicing once or twice a week soon.

Ehunter
08-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Hutch, that's how I was taught to shoot guns. One shot on target. Plenty of practice shots afterwards, but one cold shot first. Practice until that one cold shot is right where you want it everytime. I figured that would transfer over to archery pretty well, so that's what I've always done. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd drag a few other tragets I have out to shoot at, but............lol

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-09-2011, 05:00 PM
I definitely agree, I shoot at every different angle and through trees into a small block target. One shot is all it takes.

Destroyer
08-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Now this is a good group, finger breaking good. ;)

Tim "The Hammer" Gillingham proudly showing why he loves his new Kinetcs.

Two perfectly placed arrows from 101 yards! Great Job Tim!

http://www.goldtip.com/userfiles/image/Tim%20killed%20Bigfoot!-resized.jpg

RLW
08-12-2011, 06:50 AM
One of my coworkers can shoot like that when he and his bow are tuned up.......he was practicing for a caribou hunt (which he's on right now) and hitting nice broadhead groups out at 100yds.....just in case. (I put my bow down at anything beyond 60 and watch)
Once fine tuned in, his 60yd BH groups look better than my best 40yd fld points groups......But then he has considerable more experience and dedication than I do. Hoyt pro shooter and former Hoyt senior engineer (most recently worked on design of the new carbon models) and has done pretty well in tournement shooting.
http://www.ddbowhunting.com/html/coop.php
(& no he hasn't tried to get me to switch brands.......jokingly mentioned it, but no pressure)

Destroyer
08-12-2011, 05:49 PM
& no he hasn't tried to get me to switch brands.......jokingly mentioned it, but no pressure

Mentioning is not enough. He should be offering freebie bows and other gear. ;)

gravedigger
08-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Now, there is what everyone should practice - Shot placement. This was shot from 20 yards on my 40 yard Walk Up practice range.
Basically, up close and personal, no doubt you can place your arrow, you place your arrow to block the next shooter - block as in block or make him think about your arrow.
This target is one section of a regular NFAA 5 spot - the 4 circle is about the size of a 10 ring on a 3D deer.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o238/SonnyThomas/arrowplacement3.jpg

thats what i like to do.but i try and make dimonds and smily faces,thats just me being me

RLW
09-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Not really an off-topic, but what group sizes does everyone shoot at say 30 yards? On average. Not the one time you shot a 1/2 inch group while it was totally windstill Hutch. lol
Ok, I've mentioned my typical groups before, but today I was given an offset bracket to try for helping balance bow better with full quiver.
I had to share the first 30yd practice group.......the third shot of which "IS NOT" average

Destroyer
09-16-2011, 03:41 PM
You might want to start thinking about using pin nocks for your arrows RLW. ;)

RLW
09-19-2011, 05:00 AM
You might want to start thinking about using pin nocks for your arrows RLW. ;)
That is an issue with the Easton Microlite Super Nock I use. However, as it's only the 3rd time I've done that in the last 2 years (first past 20yds), I'm not too worried about destroying all my arrows.......still kind of a neat trophy item.
This also took out 2 of my remaining 3 arrows from a 10yr old dozen, so now I have an excuse to get another fresh set.

Destroyer
09-19-2011, 01:28 PM
.................................................: (