PDA

View Full Version : Vanes - Blazers or ?

droppixel
07-25-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm going to be fletching my own arrows soon, just picked up an Arizona EZ-mini. Been tearing up my vanes on the Gold Tips I am shooting that came pre-fletched. Those arrows have the VaneTec vanes, been looking at putting on Blazers. I know there are other vanes out now that some people like, just wondering what everyone thinks.

Blazers / Nap Twisters / Raptor / ??

Speedykills
07-25-2011, 07:37 PM
I use blazers myself.

Destroyer
07-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Blazers all the way! :)

Ehunter
07-26-2011, 01:35 AM
Can't say a bad thing about Blazers at all. There's a reason that most every arrow manufacturer uses them. Inexpensive, and they work well. Vanetec, Martin Fury, and a few others are just copies of Blazers, so obviously, they are doing something right.

Montalaar
07-26-2011, 02:47 AM
Mini blazers. Got them cheaper and like them. I do not think they fly better or worse than others. I just like them. Durable, small with sufficient height.

NeilMac
07-26-2011, 04:15 AM
I have just started experimenting with Vane-Tec lo profiles. Blazers were OK, but kept contacting the arrow shelf due to their height.

I am a fan of Quickspin 2.25, but they are no longer made :mad:

SkyChi
07-26-2011, 04:38 AM
I've not tried the others but have no complaints with the Blazers. Easy to work with, durable and fly as good as anything I've used.

Arrow Splitter
07-26-2011, 04:45 AM
Blazers all the way! :)X2 Nothing like a Blazer.:cool::cool:

TOMAXIMUS
07-26-2011, 06:07 AM
I use 3inch Fusions. The 2 inch Bazers rub on my shoot thru rig.

elkslayer4x5
07-26-2011, 06:26 AM
No one has mentioned Norway 'Predators', not quite as tall as a Blazer, so they have more clearance, and are only $8.99 a 100 pack from Lancaster Archery.

peace
07-26-2011, 08:27 AM
I use 4" vanes for practice and 5" feathers for hunting.
Although I live in the East I am focused on hunting out in the midwest....so I want long range flight. Then again my arrows run 31 to 32 inches long.
My thinking is adjusted for launching long range mini-missiles :cool:

wscywabbit
07-26-2011, 10:57 AM
I currently use blazers, but have also used Norway's Predator vanes with success as well, and they have some pretty cool vanes available http://www.norwayindustries.com/ The last time I needed vanes all I could find locally were blazers, so I've stuck with them.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Blazers blazers blazers, Oh did I mention blazers.

Hutch:cool:

droppixel
07-26-2011, 02:46 PM
No one has mentioned Norway 'Predators', not quite as tall as a Blazer, so they have more clearance, and are only $8.99 a 100 pack from Lancaster Archery.

I was shooting a set of CX Mutiny - they came prefletched with the Predators. Didn't mind them, wasn't thrilled with the arrow quality so that is when I went to the Gold Tips.

Simple Life
07-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Blazers ...............

cyclepath
07-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Vanes, what are those? FOB all the way !!!

droppixel
07-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Vanes, what are those? FOB all the way !!!

Haha, I was actually thinking about ordering a few of these to try out. I pretty much picked up my rest with the intention of giving these a try. Seen some guys that run a few arrows with FOBs and the rest Blazers in their quivers.

Side note, got my AZ-Ez mini set up and ready to go tonight, just need to get out and pick up my vanes. Grabbed some Gorilla Glue (Impact Formula) - that stuff sets fast as hell! I just glued a nock in to set the nock position on the jig.

Destroyer
07-26-2011, 04:47 PM
FOB all the way !!!

Even for hunting? :eek:

Ehunter
07-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Heard alot of guys say FOB's are great for hunting. They come off the arrow and mark where the animal was that they shot. Seems like a decent idea, but with a bow, doesn't everyone know almost exactly where an animal they shot was standing? lol

Arrow Splitter
07-26-2011, 04:58 PM
What are you talking about???? I hunt with my eyes closed.LOL:p

Rangerj
07-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Blazers blazers blazers, Oh did I mention blazers.

Hutch:cool:

What he said..:cool:

cyclepath
07-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Even for hunting? :eek:

They are great for whatever you want to use them for. Although from what I have read there are some archery meets that don't allow them.

Heard alot of guys say FOB's are great for hunting. They come off the arrow and mark where the animal was that they shot. Seems like a decent idea, but with a bow, doesn't everyone know almost exactly where an animal they shot was standing? lol

In a way you are correct. They do come off the arrow when they hit the animal. From how it was explained to me is that a bare shaft will go through the animal easier than one with a fletching, plus not having to refletch afterwards.

Destroyer
07-26-2011, 08:06 PM
doesn't everyone know almost exactly where an animal they shot was standing? lol

Sometimes no actually. We hunt deer in thick forest on the ground stalking and you can very easily loose track of where you shot. Add some excitement into the mix and its not so hard to do. Of course that means it might be hard to spot the fob too.

not having to refletch afterwards.

I like the sound of that very much, I hate making arrows. Are they reusable?

elkslayer4x5
07-27-2011, 08:57 AM
I use 3inch Fusions. The 2 inch Bazers rub on my shoot thru rig.

When I first set my bow up, I found that my Blazers did touch the rigging. Also the cables rubbed each other, so to clear up both issues, I installed a longer axel on the bottom linb only. That gave me more clearance and seperated the cables, BUT...Now the cables where noisy, put cat whiskers on 'em top and bottom trying to quiet them down. Thats when I went to the Norway 'Predators' and back to the standard axel, applied more wax to the cables where they rubbed. The cables rubbing slightly acts as a string sliencer, and eliminated that noise. Other than the noise I was getting from my 'opened up' cables, I liked blazers, but arrows are flying great with the Norways, and the bow is quiet again. :)

cyclepath
07-29-2011, 03:22 PM
FOBS are disallowed for 3D in ASA tournaments. Use of FOBS requires a drop rest.

As for vanes coming off when shot through a animal, somebody ain't doing a good job of fletching.

Alternative for Blazers and still in the Bohning line is the X2 Blazer, a lower profile shorter version the 2" Blazer. The Bohning Mini Blazer and X2 Blazer were designed for 3D and target, but a few people have report excellent successs using them for hunting. I would opt the X2 Blazer, not the Mini.

Understand, though I support Bohning many other vanes do get the job done. I've tested a bunch of them.

Just curios Sonny, what are you allowed to use for a rest at a ASA event?
re-fletching has little to do with the vanes coming off through the animal. I have always scrapped the vanes off and cleaned the arrow down and refletched. No need to do all that now.

droppixel
08-03-2011, 04:43 AM
I went ahead and picked up some Predators yesterday at BP. Got them all done up with the Arizona Ez-Fletch Mini - so...easy, no joke. Puts a mean helical on em, gonna let them sit for the day and maybe get some shots tonight and see how they are.