PDA

View Full Version : blades to fletchings

dragonsfire311
07-27-2011, 09:33 PM
I found that they seem to fly better when you tune them to where your blades are in line with the fletching.

Destroyer
07-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Not sure its essential to line them up but it doesn't hurt as far as I know. I line up my broadheads so they're all the same but that is more of a confidence thing for me, one less variable to worry about and blame for a bad shot.

Ehunter
07-28-2011, 01:40 AM
Same here. I try to cover all variables, that way I can only blame my poor shooting form. lol

bfisher
07-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Not sure its essential to line them up but it doesn't hurt as far as I know. I line up my broadheads so they're all the same but that is more of a confidence thing for me, one less variable to worry about and blame for a bad shot.

Same here. I like to orient broadheads so they are all the same just for consistency sake. Aligning with the fletching isn't necessary. Think of it this way. How would you align the blades of a 4 blade broadhead with three fletches on the arrow shaft? Of course, you can't, but you can line the blades up so they are the same from shaft to shaft.

HawgEnvy
07-28-2011, 01:13 PM
I use Slick Tricks. They're 4 blade. I got them set like "X" instead of like "+". Better clearancs at the riser. Now draw a "T" (representing fletching) through the "X". So far the ST's are dead on w FP at 45yds. :cool:

dragonsfire311
08-01-2011, 10:24 PM
didn't mean for it to sound like one size fits all. i shoot 3 blade fixed broadheads and they seem to be more accurate and fly better when in line with fletchings. i have seen 4 blade 4 fletching configurations on arrows before but don't know how well that works.

bfisher
08-02-2011, 03:51 AM
didn't mean for it to sound like one size fits all. i shoot 3 blade fixed broadheads and they seem to be more accurate and fly better when in line with fletchings. i have seen 4 blade 4 fletching configurations on arrows before but don't know how well that works.

Well, I know from experience that it's extra workgetting blades (broadheads) aligned with the fletching. Sure we say it's not necessary, but if it helps your confidence then don't pay any attention to us. Confidence is a HUGE part of this archery game.

As for using four fletch? I have shot them before, many years ago. They would probably work better than 3, and especially true in this day of drop away rests. Give it a try sometime. Think of it this way. If you use three 4" vanes that's 12 linear inches. Four 3" vanes is 12 linear inches.

vermonter
08-02-2011, 06:08 PM
My father believes this is essential. He also hates the fact that i shoot rage mechanicals.

Destroyer
08-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Shot placement is everything.

So very true Sonny, and for so many reasons. :)

cyclepath
08-24-2011, 06:42 PM
If you use three 4" vanes that's 12 linear inches. Four 3" vanes is 12 linear inches.

OK, now for the 64,000 dollar question..
If 4 fletching an arrow (feathers) can these be done with a helical fletch or would you have to straight fletch? :confused:
What would be the advantage of 4 vanes if you can get the same results using 3 longer vanes? :confused:

Destroyer
08-24-2011, 07:25 PM
can these be done with a helical fletch or would you have to straight fletch?

Either, helical works fine.

What would be the advantage of 4 vanes if you can get the same results using 3 longer vanes? :confused:

Shorter so there is less chance of collisions and depending on the angle you can get the cables closer to the fletching, great for low brace height bows too. You need to work out the area of the different sizes to get a true comparison.

I'm going to try three 3" feathers in my Mauler, use to work very well with low profile bh's in my ILF recurve.

bfisher
08-25-2011, 04:42 AM
3 fletch or 4 doesn't matter, but if broadheads are going to be used then it's always advisable to use either straight-offset or helical. Being as I have both RH and LH helical clamps that's what I use. Here's a decent comparison. Why do guns have rifling? To spin the bullet, of course, for better accuracy. A bullet that isn't spinning is at the mercy of the elements and tends to knuckle-ball. Same goes for arrows. Straight fletch will help keep the back of the arrow in line with the front, but if the arrow veers off course due to poor tuning or a lousy shot then it will continue it's wild flight to who knows where.

Ehunter
09-02-2011, 11:54 AM
I know where, off into the brush to never be seen again. lol

bfisher
09-02-2011, 04:19 PM
I know where, off into the brush to never be seen again. lol

And just how much sleep did you miss this past week trying to think up that answer? LOL.

Destroyer
09-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Today, 4 vanes or feathers is probably trying to have something different or neat looking.

It was out of need to have a 4 fletch with 4" feathers because it will stabilize any broadhead. It provides more control than 3 5" feathers, and can get your cable guard closer to the arrow.

These days its not such a concern with the heads we use but it still has it uses including 'neat looking'. ;)