PDA

View Full Version : feathers or vanes

shaverd
07-28-2011, 07:26 AM
I shoot off the shelf with my Martin High-Speed bow as was intended. A friend of mine told me I should put an arrow rest on the bow because the arrows I was using had vanes instead of feathers. He told me you should only use the shelf if you shoot with feathers. Not a huge problem just wondered what everyone else thought about it.

PS. I used vanes because they were much cheaper and money is tight.

Destroyer
07-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Very difficult to shoot vanes off the shelf. I know that some claim they have no problem because of 'archer paradox' but I could never get consistent arrow flight with them. Shooting with an elevated rest has other benefits too including being a little more forgiving of form and therefore making you more consistently accurate. It has it downside though, rests can fail so if your hunting always carry a spare rest.

shaverd
07-29-2011, 06:48 AM
Shooting with an elevated rest has other benefits too including being a little more forgiving of form and therefore making you more consistently accurate.

Thanks. I made a quick rest to see how it would work. My shot was much better and I am even able to shoot from about 10 yards farther. It took a couple arrows to figure it out because my arows were hitting about 4 inches higher and a little to the right. My groups are amazing.

Destroyer
07-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Good to hear. If you need help fine tuning the bow we can walk you through the whole process. :)

peace
07-30-2011, 03:20 AM
I like feathers for most things but use vanes for backyard arrow plinking. I mean I really like feathers and use 5" right wing [like my politics] parabolics. Love the way they fly especially at long distances... :cool:

shaverd
07-30-2011, 06:08 AM
I like feathers for most things but use vanes for backyard arrow plinking.:cool:

I bought arrows with vanes for the price. However, they seem to fall appart quick. I've used feathers on my target bow but I have never used feathers on this bow. Do feathers last longer than vanes. I will use vanes on my upcoming hunt because that is what I have practiced with, but I need to buy new fletching.

Hey everyone, Vanes or Feathers?

shaverd
07-30-2011, 06:13 AM
Good to hear. If you need help fine tuning the bow we can walk you through the whole process. :)

This is the kind of thing that I do not know about. I just pick up the bow and shoot. I probably can use a lot of help with this. I shoot right handed and sometimes my arrows angle a little to the left on impact (at closer distances).

Destroyer
07-30-2011, 03:39 PM
However, they seem to fall appart quick.

Vanes coming off?

Do feathers last longer than vanes.

Nope, just fly heaps better. They require a bit more care too but you cant beat them for accuracy.

I shoot right handed and sometimes my arrows angle a little to the left on impact (at closer distances).

What is the spine/model and your other specs like draw weight & draw length? Arrow could be a little underspined, try shooting a lighter a lighter field point if you can.

shaverd
07-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Vanes coming off?

The vanes are not coming off. They tend to split or tear and get holes in them.

One of the arrows was not useable so I fletched it with the wing feathers from a turkey I shot this year. I figured I would try it and experiment. It shot wonderful. Maybe I concentrated more when I shot that arrow or maybe it is better than the others. I don't know.

I also think I fixed my arrow problem today as well. I had my bow set at a 7 1/2" brace hight. I found the specs. for my bow on the internet and it should be at 8". I put a few twists in the string and set it at 8". My arrows seem to be flying straight.

Destroyer
07-30-2011, 09:40 PM
It shot wonderful. Maybe I concentrated more when I shot that arrow or maybe it is better than the others.

Could be but feathers create more drag so they steer better, can't beat feathers! :D

I put a few twists in the string and set it at 8". My arrows seem to be flying straight.

Good stuff. Brace height has a big effect on trad gear, changes more than just power stroke, etc.

peace
08-01-2011, 01:09 PM
I do love feathers for accuracy and I just love the way they fly. I would like to try some flu flu's because the sound they make in flight is just so cool. Just ordered some blazers last night to try out. I don't subscribe to the trad only or compound only or release or fingers or whatever. I like bows and arrows in any flavor and would like to try it all, long bows, target bows, recurves, no curves, parallel, straight or whatever.

Feathers or vanes, try them all, vanes are great for bad weather although there are just as many arguments for feathers in bad weather. Man shoot them all. Enjoy this discipline and sport and learn from every aspect of it. I won't shoot my feathers where there is any chance of the arrow going in the target up to the fletch. Won't do it. I will shoot vanes at anything. I love my feathers and I am protective of them. Vanes are pretty but feathers are beautiful.

Destroyer
08-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Vanes are pretty but feathers are beautiful.

Feathers are but vanes for me are not pretty at all, more 'workman' like.

shaverd
08-03-2011, 05:29 AM
I am seeing arrows with crest on them. Are crest just for looks or is there a function of them? I guess it might be easier to find arrows with them on.

Destroyer
08-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Mostly for looks, personal touch. Was used sometimes to help identify your arrows if you were shooting with others with the same colors.

DeepRiverBowman
08-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Cresting is a throw-back to long ago when archers sent a thousand arrows into the enemy. Some of the arrows could be recovered later and shot again. I'd be careful shooting Blazers. They have a high profile and are stiffer than other types of vanes. I had trouble with them shooting off an elevated rest. Feathers are way better for traditional style (except maybe when it rains).

mike

elkslayer4x5
09-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Best reason to use feathers over vanes is their better stabilizing effect because of their increased drag. 'Back in the day' when vanes first came on the scene, most cound'nt shoot 'em because their finger release was'nt 'clean' enough. Because of the feathers better stearing capibilitys, when my son and I set up the Grandson's and G Granddaughter's equipment this year, we used Gateway Razors, knowing that it would give them better flight and more control over the broadhead. Also gives a better FOC. Plenty of products avaible to keep your feathers dry. But, even without, brush the feather backwards, whip the arrow around a few times and brush them back in place, and shoot 'em.