PDA

View Full Version : Do you like crested arrows?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Just got a set of new arrows. They are Gold tip, and come crested and have blazer vanes. Just wondering what you guys thought of crests?

Hutch:cool:

cjchasman
07-29-2011, 05:27 PM
I think they class up the looks of an arrow. They also can be an aid in finding arrows in the field. I like em. Have tried cresting some of my own by hand painting in an old arrow straightener. Nice to make up your own patterns.

Destroyer
07-29-2011, 06:50 PM
I think they class up the looks of an arrow.

X2. Love it on wood arrows, real traditional look. Don't bother these days because there is usually a sticker that replaces it, well sort of. Anyway we want photo's Hutch! ;)

cyclepath
07-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Just got a set of new arrows. They are Gold tip, and come crested and have blazer vanes. Just wondering what you guys thought of crests?

UH, just wondering if you are meaning just crested, or dipped and crested Hutch? :confused:

peace
07-30-2011, 02:57 AM
Although they look really great the dipping and cresting tends to get messed up in use and becomes a pain to deal with when fletching. Any arrows I personally covet for use I clear of printed matter and bring down to the plain carbon shafts. It makes re-fletching a quicker and easier task. JMHO...

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-30-2011, 03:02 AM
I bought them at dicks sporting goods with a birthday gift card. They are Gold Tip Devastator Extremes. Just wanted to see how a light arrow would work. I cut them last night and weighed every component. I even dabbed glue on each end of every blazer, so I wouldn't have to worry about any vane issues. When I was done I was impressed they all weigh 373 on the nose.... So here is some pics.

I went from 415gn. to 373gn arrows what a major difference.

peace
07-30-2011, 04:37 AM
I went from 415gn. to 373gn arrows what a major difference.

42gn lighter, probably picked up a few fps. Did that change your point of impact at all?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-30-2011, 04:42 AM
42gn lighter, probably picked up a few fps. Did that change your point of impact at all?Nope!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-30-2011, 03:06 PM
I have quite a few rounds with the new arrows and I am still impressed. Cheap arrows hitting great every time at 20 yards. I will have to test these arrow at 30 yards and up. Speed is up there and I am hitting quarter size dots. I think they will work well for practicing.

Destroyer
07-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Arrow wraps not cresting like I was expecting. My experience with them hasn't been good, vanes came off way too easily.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-30-2011, 04:14 PM
My apologies, I didn't think of cresting vs arrow wraps. Cresting is painted I presume and wraps of course are vinyl stick on. Well I did some extra work, so I would not have the problem with loosing vanes. We will see how they work. They are only target arrows. So far so good.

Speedykills
07-30-2011, 04:48 PM
I dont like them.

Destroyer
07-30-2011, 09:29 PM
They are only target arrows. So far so good.

I hope they do work. Its a great idea and makes re-fletching very easy but the ones I have tried weren't any good, vanes almost fell off but I'm not the easiest on gear, they need to grip solid.