PDA

View Full Version : Okay Guys what is the best bow tuning tip you can give?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Okay Guys what is the one best bow tuning tip you can give?

Hutch:cool:

Destroyer
07-29-2011, 07:04 PM
.................................................: (

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-30-2011, 03:39 AM
Your form affects tuning more than most realize, to counteract this you need to make a lot more shots to give you a better understanding of what is happening.

If small adjustments don't seem to be making a difference, try making a huge adjustment and if it still makes no difference then your on the wrong track.

If it aint broke, don't try to fix it. (had to sorry :p)

One thing to add to Destroyers advice, video yourself shooting it does wonders. Ask my son he videoed himself and made some changes. The outcome was more accurate shooting.

Hutch

HawgEnvy
07-30-2011, 07:09 PM
IMO, paper tuning is over rated. Sight in w FP at 20yds. Shoot BH's @ 20yds. If needed,adjust accordingly. Do the same at 30yds. Won't take long to get FP/BH groups together.

wscywabbit
07-31-2011, 08:43 AM
This is supposed to be fun, so don't let it get to you. The majority of this sport is mental, so if you get frusterated, take a break.

Sometimes the problem is just you're having a bad day, and if you keep going it will just get worse. Take some time to reflect, mentally go over your form and follow through, check your equipment and maybe do some forum research.

Or, put down the bow and pick up a fishing pole! ;)

bfisher
07-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Tuning is so dependent on consistent, repeatable form. When all else fails, spend the money on a good qualified coach. You can't properly tune if your form sucks.

dragonsfire311
08-01-2011, 10:20 PM
agree with bfisher, also make sure bow is properly set up for you i.e. draw length and weight etc, if you get a hand me down or a used or new make sure its set up for you.

Ehunter
08-02-2011, 12:37 PM
My best tip would be to take it slow. Alot of people get in a hurry to do things, and overcompensate. Make small adjustments at a time, shoot several arrows to check what you've done. It's all a matter of taking the time to get everything just right for you. Then you can go shoot all you want!

Destroyer
08-02-2011, 11:46 PM

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-03-2011, 12:11 PM
One thing you should know is how to properly measure your string and cable when it is time to replace it.
Many string builders build off of spec sheets and some times they are not right. If you know how to measure your string set properly you will get the right string the first time.
1. Strings are measured twisted.
2. Strings are measured under a 100lbs of tension.
3. Cables are measured the same way.
4. Strings are measured inside loop to inside loop.
5. Strings are measured on 1/4" posts.
6. Strings are measured from the bottom loop to the start of the next serving.
7. Then they are measured from the bottom loop the end of the next serving.
(do this till you are finished all the servings)

example: Rytera Nemesis

String 57.75

0---------->15.25------->22--->24.25------->27------>31-------------15.25<---------0

Cables 38.75
0------->11------------------------------6<----0

If you measure everything correctly the string maker can build to spec.
Now this goes both ways if a string maker sends you a string set. You can measure it and know if it is good.

Scott
08-03-2011, 02:27 PM
This is supposed to be fun, so don't let it get to you. The majority of this sport is mental, so if you get frusterated, take a break.

Sometimes the problem is just you're having a bad day, and if you keep going it will just get worse. Take some time to reflect, mentally go over your form and follow through, check your equipment and maybe do some forum research.

Or, put down the bow and pick up a fishing pole! ;)

Which rod, I have 20 of them. Drop shot, shaky head, flip'n, pitch'n, crankster,big crankster, jig and worm, crank bait, top water, Slop and Frog, jerk bait, swim bait, spinner bait??? Thats about half, take a pick??

Spiker
08-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Which rod, I have 20 of them. Drop shot, shaky head, flip'n, pitch'n, crankster,big crankster, jig and worm, crank bait, top water, Slop and Frog, jerk bait, swim bait, spinner bait??? Thats about half, take a pick??

...sounds like ya need to just go fling a few arrows...

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-04-2011, 01:03 AM
...sounds like ya need to just go fling a few arrows...Now that's funny!!:D

tomrybicki
08-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Hey guys. I've been training my better half to enjoy our great sport/ addiction. In my humble opinion,a natural,relaxed release and follow through is by far one of the easiest things to overlook that can totally ruin your shot,and in my wifes case,cause loads of frustration. After 2 years,she's hunting with me as of September. Ive taught her to use my checklist leading up to the shot,and now,2 years later,she's got the follow through down. It's amazing what little things you can pick up when you watch another archer. For anybody who doesn't have a coach,videotaping is a priceless tool. Just my .02.

HawgEnvy
08-05-2011, 06:31 AM
...sounds like ya need to just go fling a few arrows...

at th fish!

peace
08-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Learn to breathe when aiming and releasing.

Destroyer
08-07-2011, 02:11 AM

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Breathing effects everything you do in shooting. It changes every angle of your holding and release. I usually inhale on my draw and exhale and hold before I shoot. The reverse method works as well. Sorta like shooting a rifle don't breath during the shot and you will hit what your aiming at.

Destroyer
08-08-2011, 02:28 PM

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Arrow nock tightness. Some people center serve and clip an arrow and say I am good to go. The thing I found with most bows I have dealt with. The center serving is too big or not served tight enough. A good center serving will let the arrow move on the string without turning the peep. You shouldn't have to tug to get your arrow off the string.

Don B
10-01-2011, 04:33 AM
I belive form is everything.
I just got my wife shooting, started her shooting non-sights with fingers. with a coach on a recurve, FITA style. When I got her her compound she had to relearn everything all over again because she was trying to anchor under her chin.
I showed her what to do and she took to it like a duck to water. Her form is awsome. Now she wants to try shooting with pins... time to start over, but at least her form is rock solid and she can judge distance real good.
I think shooting fingers non-sights is the best way to learn good form. Because if you can hold your form over and over again it makes it just that much easier to shoot a release and sights.
Just my opion.
Don.

Spiker
10-06-2011, 07:57 AM
I'll agree with that too. I dont think anyone new to archery should start out with sights, peeps, releases etc.
I think you need to learn the hand-eye coordination and get your form solid first.
Then add a sight.
Then add a peep. Then add the release. Then add whatever.
It boosts your accuracy and confidence so much when you do it in phases that you feel good about your shooting and stick with the sport.
And if you dont have the form and discipline down - - none of those other accessories really matter anyway.
I still shoot some of my bows 'bare'. Some with sights/fingers. Some with sights/peep/fingers. And some with everything.
Yes I am most accurate with sights/peep/release/stab etc but I know I wouldnt be able to shoot nearly as good (bad) as I do without still going back
to the basic sticks & string and flinging arrows the old way.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Just like Spiker said, start out plain Jane, just the bow and arrow that is how I taught Arrow Splitter. And he certainly can shoot well now.

MLN1963
10-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Silly me. I went straight to the top. :confused:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Silly me. I went straight to the top. :confused:With out pics it didn't happen!

MLN1963
10-12-2011, 01:57 PM
FC400 should be Martin's top hunting bow? At least it is the fastest this year I think.

Pictures are in the other thread that you gave me a hard time about!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-12-2011, 04:40 PM
FC400 should be Martin's top hunting bow? At least it is the fastest this year I think.

Pictures are in the other thread that you gave me a hard time about!I believe your right, that is the bow for choice in Hunting. Many sold at our dealer. It is a sharp looking and fast bow. Wonder what they will do in 2012?