PDA

View Full Version : IDIOTS not trying to buy a bow !!!

cyclepath
07-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Is it just me or are there more idiots on AT p!$$!ng people off trying to sell a bow? I look around sometimes just to see what deals may be out there and it seems there are some real morons that don't have a clue. The guy says no trades and 2 replys under that is some fool asking if he is interested in a trade! I see this over and over. Then you get some real genius that will ask WHAT IS THE LOWEST YOU WILL GO !! Come on, give me a break. I know some people are new and not sure about what they are doing but common sence should tell you something is wrong. These people are the ones that ruin things for those who are really looking to buy a bow. Props to the people selling on there that can put up with the IDIOTS.

NeilMac
07-29-2011, 11:48 PM
My other main interest is horses. If you think people buying bows are stupid, you would not believe the things people say and do when selling and buying horses.

Some of the sellers make used car salesmen look like saints, and some people buying seem to have a lot less going on upstairs than the horses they are trying to buy.

There is a phrase over here: There's nowt so queer as folk.

Destroyer
07-30-2011, 02:25 AM
There's nowt so queer as folk.

Lol! So true, great saying. :D

peace
07-30-2011, 02:52 AM
I am comfortable with most all of the aspects of doing business on Ebay, as I have been on there buying and selling for just over ten years now and have a 100% positive feedback rating my account is ")m(asterpeace" if you need to check my veracity. I have never been impressed with the process on AT enough to get involved. There doesn't appear to be the same safeguards in place.

I am not knocking it for those that chose to use it, it just doesn't do it for me. I enjoy AT for most everything else it has to offer but I stay away from the classified. I received a negative feed back the first time I tried to buy something because the seller assumed my questions were a firm commitment to buy and I didn't answer his pm's for two days. Sheesh. That really tanked it for me.

I have a stay away policy for AT Classifieds personally.

NeilMac
07-30-2011, 06:10 AM
You are right Peace, there are NO safeguards on AT classifieds.

When I bought my first Shadowcat (having bought bows from AT previously), only to find a cam module bent and the STS missing, I sent the seller a couple of PM's and e-mails and got no response. I then contacted the mods. They did what they could, but I never heard back from the seller, so just chalked that one up to experience.

The problem for me with ebay.com, is that the number of sellers prepared to ship to the UK is pretty limited and also the shipping costs from those that will are often excessive; it really doesn't cost $24 to send 100 fletchings to the UK, honest.

As with any buying that is done unseen, buyer beware.

Simple Life
07-30-2011, 06:15 AM
see alot of good deals on AT for bows,but so scared to get burned

peace
07-30-2011, 02:04 PM
NeilMac that is rough when they want to gouge on the shipping and make it a profit center, especially on the small stuff but to ship a bow across the ponds has got to be an expensive proposition. I feel you on the problems with the ShadowCat....AT is really a "caveat emptor" kind of proposition, no question.

I hate all of the money order only deals as that makes the transactions go from 3-5 days to 30 plus days with 21 a pleasant surprise. Too long for me in light of other venues. How is shipping to the UK from normal internet retail outlets like Lancaster or Keystone or some of the other dealers for accessories?

Destroyer
07-30-2011, 03:44 PM
there are NO safeguards on AT classifieds.

That is wrong, PayPal protects you...........oh wait they don't. ;)

NeilMac
07-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Peace: I have recently bought a set of Barnsdale limbs from AT (what more limbs? I hear Destroyer saying), they were around $18 to send, I also ordered some cams and some apparel and that was $15 postage. Bows are always around $50 and the only problem there is that USPS will only insure to $650, OK for S/H goods but not so good for new bows.

The fly in the ointment for me is VAT (Value Added Tax), this is charged at 20% for ALL goods imported, new or used. If the goods are new, there is also import duty (can't recall what % that is now) and then there is the handling fee from the Post Office of 8, which is cheap, as other carriers will charge 30 for the same service.

All of the above explain why there is a very limited range of archery equipment available over here, as it is too expensive a risk for a shop or importer to bring in something that may not sell and also why you can buy a bow for $1000, but that bow will cost me $1600. On the flip side, there are some amazing close out deals available from time to time, where shops have stock they just want rid of.

Destroyer: I use Paypal as it's easy, and they do at least cover me if the package never arrives at all, or is complete rubbish.

Destroyer
07-30-2011, 10:26 PM
I use Paypal as it's easy, and they do at least cover me if the package never arrives at all, or is complete rubbish.

Only if it arrives unfortunately on non eBay purchases. You can start a dispute but as soon as paypal see's that its not a ebay purchase they will raise it to a claim and then state the item is as described without needing or asking for proof.

As stated in our User Agreement, the claims process only applies to the shipment of goods. It does not apply to complaints about the attributes or quality of goods received.

But I use it a lot too, so easy and they give better exchange rate than our local banks. I would be buggered without Paypal.

NeilMac
07-30-2011, 10:37 PM
I would be buggered without Paypal.

Me too. I have done money transfers to South Africa, before Paypal operated there, and it was a real PIA, as well as being a pretty expensive way to transfer money.

Since the money laundering laws came in over here, foreign money transfers require so much paperwork it is not true. I always thought a British Passport was proof enough of who I am, but apparently I also need a recent utility bill and birth certificate and the entire family tree of the Doctor that delivered me into this world over 50 years ago.... Well, maybe not the Doctor stuff, but all the rest is true.

Destroyer
07-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Doctor lol!

Funny how a 'bill' has become proof of identity. :rolleyes: