PDA

View Full Version : weight adjustment

Turkeyflacx2
07-30-2011, 11:24 AM
My '08 Mystic has 5L limbs and the label on the limb says 55lbs max but it maxs at #51. The bow is in spec and is shooting great but Id like to get my daughter shooting. My question is I know Martins have 15lbs of adjustment but since its only maxing a tad over #50 can I go down to #35 for her to shoot it even though the label says #55?

Arrow Splitter
07-30-2011, 11:52 AM
My '08 Mystic has 5L limbs and the label on the limb says 55lbs max but it maxs at #51. The bow is in spec and is shooting great but Id like to get my daughter shooting. My question is I know Martins have 15lbs of adjustment but since its only maxing a tad over #50 can I go down to #35 for her to shoot it even though the label says #55?You can turn the limb bolts out a maximum of 4 turns. With that being said, it won't harm anything to go a half-turn more. Four and a half turns should put the bow under 40 lbs.

A.S

peace
07-30-2011, 12:50 PM
I thought it was 3 pounds per full turn and 5 turns equals 15 pounds, is this bow different from the other Martins. I shoot my #70 bow at #55 a full 5 turns out from max. Please somebody clear this up for me. :confused:

hotrod26
07-30-2011, 12:53 PM
I thought it was 3 pounds per full turn and 5 turns equals 15 pounds, is this bow different from the other Martins. I shoot my #70 bow at #55 a full 5 turns out from max. Please somebody clear this up for me. :confused:

You are correct!!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Yes guys it is 5 turns out and 3lbs a full turn on both limbs. A.S. is a walking archery book and just had is mind on a different page. Unfortunately it was the PSE. page, an older bow he had. So turn it out 5 turns and check the poundage. It should be close to 40#.

Hutch:cool:

elkslayer4x5
07-31-2011, 06:28 AM
I am pretty sure that you can turn it down even more than 5 turns. I recall bfisher talking about shooting a 60# Firecat? at 27 #s when he had shoulder problems. How about it Barry, how far down can a Martin bow be turned? Granted that the bow will feel a bit "spongey", but it will shoot.

bfisher
07-31-2011, 09:13 AM
I am pretty sure that you can turn it down even more than 5 turns. I recall bfisher talking about shooting a 60# Firecat? at 27 #s when he had shoulder problems. How about it Barry, how far down can a Martin bow be turned? Granted that the bow will feel a bit "spongey", but it will shoot.

I'm here elkslayer. To answer the question, yes you can turn it down more than 4 turns. History---2007 I had some physical problems and had to turn my 55# Patera down. How many turns I can't remember, but the net result was that it was set at 27#. It's not something I would recommend on a permanent basis, but it can be done. Yes, the bow was like a rubber band, but it sufficed for my purposes at the time.

Also, that 3# per turn is not written in stone. I have two Rytera bows right now that only change 1 1/2 to 2# per turn so use a scale. The trick is, and many of you guys know it, watch the threads through the barrel nut in the riser. With many other bows the limbs need to be lept in the limb pockets to keep them aligned with the riser. Martin bows have a different system so can safely be backed down more.

So, answering Turkey's question? Yes, you can take the bow down to 35# safely, assuming the limb bolts are long enough, which they should be. Just make sure you don't see any daylight through the barrel nuts. Also, mark the head of the limb bolts so you can see if they are vibrating out and check them once in a while.