PDA

View Full Version : Which Martin do I have????

bcooper
04-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Hello all
I purchased a Martin compound bow off ebay several months ago from a guy that just listed it as a Martin and nothing else. He didn't know what model or year it was, but I bought it anyway based on reputation, condition, and the setup it had. So after looking all over the net I have been unable to figure out what model it is or the year it was built. There are no markings on the limbs, but it is fully covered in Advantage camo except for the wood in-lays. The large wood in-lay just above the arrow rest is missing, so if you know where I can get another please let me know. It has a bottom cam and a top wheel, 42" Axle to Axle, 55-70lb, 30" draw, 80% let off. The cam says R581. It was built by Rick Spurgeon and the serial number is 601411. The sticker also says it has a 60 string length, but its kind of smudged so I'm not sure if I'm reading it right. Thats all I know about it other than the fact that it shoots great. Thanks for the help.
________
Love Discussion (http://www.love-help.org/)

Myk
04-10-2007, 05:08 PM
I can't believe I can actually figure that one out with no picture. But this is the only bow with that cam number with that draw length with that length of string and I think it's the same one I have.
http://www.martinarchery.com/bows1997/prowleru.html
http://www.martinarchery.com/chart/wheel/unicam.htm

It sounds like a '96 or '97 Prowler/Lynx Unicam (basically the same bow but the Lynx was made for Bass Pro Shops and maybe other box stores). 80% let-off, 29-31" (it's rated on the middle post). But you'll probably find the draw length is quite longer than it's rated, especially if you want to pull into the wall.
If I'm right your AtA is long, probably from creeped strings or someone putting it out of specs to fudge the draw length, it should be 40 1/2". Get some new BCY 452x or 450 strings and that won't be a problem.

Buss cable 42"
Return string 48"
String 60".

Brace Height 9 1/4"
AtA 40 1/2"

LOL, I thought that name sounded familiar. My Lynx with the same specs was built by the same guy.

Watch the cable at the point where it bends over the cam while at rest. That seems to be a problem area with that cam, at least with the original strings, I don't know why, it's not that sharp of a bend. Mine broke there and I've heard of others with the same problem. But I never had a problem after going to 450 string material (once it was invented).

The handle isn't the best for a torque free grip and the cam and idler put the string off center. Once you get the cable guard set for clearance it might serve you well to take some white out and put a line on the riser that lines up with your cables (a little trick from that era) to make sure you're torquing the same on each shot.

They are accurate bows despite all the problems common in bows from that time.

Here's a picture of mine. The black handle is my own doing. The bow is also probably short strung to get it to be 29" draw.

bcooper
04-10-2007, 07:21 PM
That's it. Thanks for the help. I will keep all that info in mind the next time I have it re-strung. Right now the string on it is basically brand new. I do need to replace the cable though.

I swapped out the cable guard on mine for an upper cable guard and put a muzzy zero-effect rest on it. I haven't had time to sight it in yet, but shooting at close range it feels nice. Hopefully I will get to the sights this week or next.

Know where I can get a replacement wood in-lay above the arrow rest??? Not that it really matters much, but I just like things clean looking.

Once again, thanks for the help!
________
glass bongs (http://glassbongs.org)

Myk
04-11-2007, 01:33 AM
It's doubtful they would have one but you could try calling Martin.

Archerbuck_32
04-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Well my friends i'm in the same boat. I'm a new archer, bought this nice Martin Phantom. There's a hand written label on it with a guys name, but that's it... I've been looking at the older bow models on Martin's website and the only thing that's different from my bow with the ones on the site is that mine as a rubber grip not a wooden one... I would like to get the tech sheet for my bow but it hard to do when you don't even know when it was manufactured.... Does anyone know of a good way to find this info???

Thanks!

Myk
04-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Well my friends i'm in the same boat. I'm a new archer, bought this nice Martin Phantom. There's a hand written label on it with a guys name, but that's it... I've been looking at the older bow models on Martin's website and the only thing that's different from my bow with the ones on the site is that mine as a rubber grip not a wooden one... I would like to get the tech sheet for my bow but it hard to do when you don't even know when it was manufactured.... Does anyone know of a good way to find this info???

Thanks!
Phantoms were made from 2000-2002 when they were changed to Phantom II.
I don't think 2000-2001 had the VEMs in the riser, 2002 did (but when buying used bows know that some people remove their VEMs).
Rubber grip or wood side plates don't change the bow.

There is no such thing as a "tech sheet" for specific bows. The manuals only have specifics about cams. When looking at the charts for the years you pick the cam charts and they have the bows and limb combos listed for string lengths and modules or module position.
The length and speed specs for the bows on on the old pages (google them).

The first 2 numbers in the serial number should tell you when it was made (easier to figure out after 2000) but it doesn't tell you the model year.