PDA

View Full Version : Removing and Replacing VEM's for refinishing a bow?

peace
08-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Anyone know how to remove and replace the VEM's on Martin Bows, or do you destroy them and just put in new ones. I would like to either repaint or powder coat my riser and refinish the limbs into a scheme more my liking. This is the only part I have a question about.

Ehunter
08-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Mine just twist/push out. Kind of a pain to get them back in, but I've found that wrapping a piece of string around one end twice, then using that to pull it through seems to help alot. Make sure you moisten it with something before you try to put it back in though. I use spit, but even plain water should help some.

peace
08-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Mine just twist/push out. Kind of a pain to get them back in, but I've found that wrapping a piece of string around one end twice, then using that to pull it through seems to help alot. Make sure you moisten it with something before you try to put it back in though. I use spit, but even plain water should help some.

LOL! Funny how a little spit can go a long way :cool:

Ehunter
08-01-2011, 02:11 PM
It's the poor man's WD40. lol

peace
08-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Well just spoke to Joel at HQ and he said pretty much the same thing a little windex or water and push or pull depending on which way you are going. He also mentioned like a 1/8 allen to help pull it through.

Ehunter
08-01-2011, 02:23 PM
I tried everything before I figured out to use the string to pull it through. Worked way better than a screwdriver or allen wrench. Wrap the string around it twice, then twist the string around itself twice, thread it through the hole, and pull. Just my two cents, but it did work well.

bfisher
08-01-2011, 02:34 PM
You guys are making the installation too hard. A little dab of dish soap rubbed around the VEM is the best thing I've used. It must take me all of 30 seconds to do both of them.

peace
08-01-2011, 04:54 PM
I tried everything before I figured out to use the string to pull it through. Worked way better than a screwdriver or allen wrench. Wrap the string around it twice, then twist the string around itself twice, thread it through the hole, and pull. Just my two cents, but it did work well.

You guys are making the installation too hard. A little dab of dish soap rubbed around the VEM is the best thing I've used. It must take me all of 30 seconds to do both of them.

I think if I combine these two methods I can do it easy breezy.....