PDA

View Full Version : Fob Shooter tries out the Bitzenburger Jig and Fusion Vanes

Double S
08-01-2011, 04:01 PM
I've been using Starrflight Fobs for several years. I love my Fobs for hunting but they are not allowed in some Competitions. I always carry some Harvest Time Archery HT-2 with Factory fletched Blazers When I shoot with other people. Some folks are not Friendly toward us Fob Users. After some time I end up tearing Blazers off the shafts. I usually put them aside until I have time to drive 90 miles one way to the local Archery shop and I pay the shop to refletch them. I love going to the shop but the drive gets kinda old. So I bought the Bitzenburger Dial a Fletch Jig with a Straight Clamp. I also bought some Steel Force Beyond Clean Arrow Cleaner, Steel Force Beyond Bond Glue. The set up was easy. it didn't come with instructions So I went over to their website and downloaded and printed it out. In about 5 minutes I was fletching arrows.

Here's some Harvest Time Archery HT-2 400's,.001 Spined Shafts with Pink Onestringer Wraps. 3 inch Fusion Vanes 2 Pink, 1 White. I'm letting them dry today and I'll see how they fly tomorrow. I sprained my back again ( Partially Disabled) so i'm down for the count today. I think I'm adding too much Glue. If you have tips for me please post. I'm like a Sponge soaking up the Fletching tips and Info.

What do you think?. I love Pink For my hunting arrows. I normally use Pink Fobs for Hunting. They are so easy to see and recover after the pass through.

Arrow Splitter
08-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Those are some nice looking arrows.
I hope your back gets better quickly.

A.S

Hit The X
08-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Gotta Love that Pink I have a wrap on my arrows that is a bold pink to a tribal something or other towards the knock

Bravo on the fletching.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Oh Double S you look pretty in pink. Or at least your arrows do. Nice job! I hope your back gets better as well.

Hutch:cool:

peace
08-01-2011, 05:50 PM
In following the valley of the quill just enough glue to create a line of glue down the valley, less is more, and then once the fletch is complete just a dot at the front of the vane and a dot behind. Some glues are about 15 second set, others about 30. I find the fletching process a really zen time. Similar to I guess what a fly fisherman feels tying flies.

Double S
08-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks all for the kind words. I'm laying on the couch medicated (legally) with the laptop on my chest. lol. Darn Muscle Spasms!. I need better lighting. It's hard to see the clear groove of the fusion vane. I did do the dot in front and back of the fletching.

cyclepath
08-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks all for the kind words. I'm laying on the couch medicated (legally) with the laptop on my chest. lol. Darn Muscle Spasms!. I need better lighting. It's hard to see the clear groove of the fusion vane. I did do the dot in front and back of the fletching.

Very nice, professional looking to say the least. After seating the vane I take a q-tip and run it on both sides to get any excess glue, but you don't look like you need any help. I hate re-fletching arrows, end up changing 5 or 6 arrows just to fix one. That's why I like fob's, I guess I'm just lazy lol.

Double S
08-01-2011, 08:00 PM
I love my fobs and I'll never get rid of them as long as Paul keeps making them. As you already probably know, Fobs are not allowed in certain Competitions. Some of those I actually want to compete in. So I will have a dozen or 2 arrow shafts with Fusion vanes. I just ordered some White Bohning nocks to fit the arrows above in the Picture. I've been using Fobs for about 4 years now and I'm one of Paul's Starrflight Hunting Crew Staffer's. I just ordered 35 of each Zeon Fusion vanes in Pink, Orange, and green and yellow to try out. My go to Arrow for hunting will always have a Fob on the end of it.

Very nice, professional looking to say the least. After seating the vane I take a q-tip and run it on both sides to get any excess glue, but you don't look like you need any help. I hate re-fletching arrows, end up changing 5 or 6 arrows just to fix one. That's why I like fob's, I guess I'm just lazy lol.

peace
08-02-2011, 01:05 AM
but as long as people find a utilitarian need to use rests like whisker biscuits or some of the other full containment rests vanes will be around also. I think FOB's have their use, as do feathers, vanes and blazers and I think they can all be options in the repertoire of the skillful archer and bow hunter.

shaverd
08-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Being semi-new to archery, I guess call me ignorant. I have only ever used feathers and vanes. What are blazers and fobs?

Double S
08-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Being semi-new to archery, I guess call me ignorant. I have only ever used feathers and vanes. What are blazers and fobs?

The two vanes on the left are Blazer vanes. The circle one's on the right are Starrflight Fobs.

Double S
08-02-2011, 07:03 AM
but as long as people find a utilitarian need to use rests like whisker biscuits or some of the other full containment rests vanes will be around also. I think FOB's have their use, as do feathers, vanes and blazers and I think they can all be options in the repertoire of the skillful archer and bow hunter.

I totally agree with you peace. There's room for all of them in the Archer's tool box. It's all about being able to choose what a person wants to shoot. Why Do Archer's bash each other for the products, brands they use?. We are too small of a Sport to fight amongst each other.

p.s, I ordered some white Bohning nocks to go with the Pink and white Arrows in the first picture.

Ford
08-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the post, i hope to get an arizonia easy fletch this fall to start doing my own. But for now I have to borrow a jig like yours from a friend. all tips are helpful, i prefer to learn from others instead of screwing up stuff myself.
I like the idea of pink vanes, I've lost a few orange, green, and even white veined arrows in my yard, finding some months later when the grass dies from the drought. So anything to find an arrow quicker is great. I am really worried about losing the arrow after a shot in the woods hunting.

Double S
08-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the post, i hope to get an arizonia easy fletch this fall to start doing my own. But for now I have to borrow a jig like yours from a friend. all tips are helpful, i prefer to learn from others instead of screwing up stuff myself.
I like the idea of pink vanes, I've lost a few orange, green, and even white veined arrows in my yard, finding some months later when the grass dies from the drought. So anything to find an arrow quicker is great. I am really worried about losing the arrow after a shot in the woods hunting.

Green is my Favorite color but my go to Color for hunting is Pink. I've tried, green, orange, yellow for pre rut hunting and I always return to Pink. It's hard to confuse Flo pink with anything out in mother nature. Guys can make fun of my Pink vanes and Fobs any day, I'm above that. I just took out the Fusions for some test shots. My back is still killing me but they shot superb. I also ordered the ZEON fusion vanes last night. Once i get those fletched up I'll let you folks know.

p.s invest in a bitzenburger jig and you won't regret it.

shaverd
08-02-2011, 08:40 AM
The two vanes on the left are Blazer vanes. The circle one's on the right are Starrflight Fobs.

The fobs look very different. Would they work with a traditional rest or do you need to shoot them with a wisker bisket? I only own Recurves and long bows at this time, for no other reason than thats what was cheapest and available at the time when I got started.

Arrow Splitter
08-02-2011, 08:44 AM
The fobs look very different. Would they work with a traditional rest or do you need to shoot them with a wisker bisket? I only own Recurves and long bows at this time, for no other reason than thats what was cheapest and available at the time when I got started.You can only shoot fobs with a drop away rest.