PDA

View Full Version : Over/Under Spine

droppixel
08-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Got a question for anyone that can help out with one of the archery programs or if you just happen to know. I don't know a whole lot about arrow spine still, I am currently shooting Velocity 400s and have been wondering if I would be over-spined or if I would be alright to go to the Velocity 300s allowing me to pick up a little bit of arrow weight and also allowing for a draw weight increase to make sure I don't dip below the 5 grain per pound rule.

I had someone on AT check this for me once before with my current set up and they had said I was a little on the low end for my 400s cut to 27.5" I'm wondering this because I have looked into their weight system to pick up 10-20grains in weight, would be a nice FOC increase but I believe that will significantly change my spine for the worse.

If you are able to run a few numbers for me that would be cool - just trying to figure out if I were to go up to 67-70# weight with my 29" DL, how long the arrows would need to be in order to put me in an ok range for the arrow spine on the 300s. I think most have said it is better to be a little over-spined vs. under-spined. As said above, current arrow length is 27.5, but I think I have about an inch to inch and quarter of play to shorten up if I needed.

If anyone is able to do this, I really appreciate the help ;)

pizzadave
08-02-2011, 02:48 PM
I think your spine is right on the money. According to Goldtip's site, you are right in spec with what they recommend. If you upped your poundage by even a pound, you were be on the borderline of being UNDERspined.... I think you are sitting good now with the 400s......

Destroyer
08-02-2011, 03:29 PM
if I were to go up to 67-70# weight with my 29" DL

I would be looking at 340's at 29" but it depends on how you shoot. 300's with 125 grain heads should work but you need to try it. My Mauler is bare shafting well with 30" 340 gt's with 125 gr @ 69#.

bfisher
08-02-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm with Destroyer on this. In the first place I would be shooting a 340 spine at your specs. Now about that saying about better being overspined than underspined. IMO there is no such thing. The whole purpose of tuning bow/arrow combination is to match the two together. There are lots of ways to do this. You can dick around with a computer program that tells you to cut your arrows to a certain length for the point/fletching combo. This is all well and good, but IMO opinion, and way overlooked is turning the bow weight up or down. It's the cheapest and easiest way to tune for spine and when you get done your arrows are neither under or over spined. That's what you tune for in the first place.

Arrow selection charts aren't perfect, but they get you close enough to start tuning. If for instance, you have a 70# bow and have to turn it down to 67# to get a perfect match then so be it. Who cares? It's only a number. Tune it, shoot it, and forget what the bow scale says.

droppixel
08-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Good deal guys. I was actually at Bass Pro tonight to pick up some other stuff and I swung through the arrow aisle to check out what was there. Hadn't seen the Kinetics yet so I checked those out and noticed on that box and even on the Velocity boxes, the chart is different from what is on their website. Looked like that chart was specific to the 500/400/300 for that particular arrow. If I were to go by the chart, I would be right on the line for 400/300 depending on how you slice it. If I stuck with the arrow length that I shoot right now, I would be in the 300 if I went shorter I would be at the 400. Arrows are a goofy thing, but I'm all for tuning the bow to the arrow and the arrow to the bow. I might look into the 300 after this season if I find the 400s aren't cutting it while hunting. Thanks for the feedback.

MLN1963
08-02-2011, 05:57 PM
One thing I am finding out. Don't chase your spine for perfection until you know what the shooting poundage is going to be from there on out. Same could be said for your broad heads. I would just stay close until you figure it all out (erring on the stiff side is common). Then you can get it just right.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Good deal guys. I was actually at Bass Pro tonight to pick up some other stuff and I swung through the arrow aisle to check out what was there. Hadn't seen the Kinetics yet so I checked those out and noticed on that box and even on the Velocity boxes, the chart is different from what is on their website. Looked like that chart was specific to the 500/400/300 for that particular arrow. If I were to go by the chart, I would be right on the line for 400/300 depending on how you slice it. If I stuck with the arrow length that I shoot right now, I would be in the 300 if I went shorter I would be at the 400. Arrows are a goofy thing, but I'm all for tuning the bow to the arrow and the arrow to the bow. I might look into the 300 after this season if I find the 400s aren't cutting it while hunting. Thanks for the feedback.

I would cut the arrows as short as you possibly can along the riser. I know shorter arrows little less stable but you will gain a little more speed that way. With a long draw length you have not an issue unlike me being a 26 in draw. I still go as short as I possibly can. Im taking a guess but you should be ok with the 300s to cut as short as possible (close to the rest and broadhead inside the riser) being those arrows are heavier. The 400s would may be too light otherwise. Finding out the length you want is important. I shoot Bemans and its a similar grain skeem I believe. The 340s like bfisher mentioned might be a nice compromise.

droppixel
08-03-2011, 04:40 AM
For sure, I shot 26.5" (now 27.5" when I got the Velocity for a touch more weight since they were about 2gpi less) before I swapped rests. I have yet to take another measurement.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-03-2011, 11:49 AM
For sure, I shot 26.5" (now 27.5" when I got the Velocity for a touch more weight since they were about 2gpi less) before I swapped rests. I have yet to take another measurement.

I shoot right at the bare IBO minumum. My bow is set at 73lbs. and arrows are 365 grain arrow )including 100 gr tip. I have had no trouble with deer at all. Drop I saw your from Plano. Im not too far away. Where do you hunt at? I got a few spots in Kane Co. for bow.

droppixel
08-04-2011, 05:01 AM
Hunt the public grounds at Silver Springs in Yorkville, have a farm I hunt with my Step-dad in Sandwich and a plot occasionally down the road from the house in Plano with my Dad. All I really have access to right now, so I make due with what I can. Had a sweet spot in Oswego for a season, but that has gone out. Hopefully looking to pick up my own lease or even better own some property in the future.