PDA

View Full Version : My sons new bow. I'm a happy father!.

Double S
08-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I took my wife and son with me to Deer park, Washington to my local Archery Shop. It's about a 90 mile drive one way. The shop custom made a flemish string for my 1970's Browning cobra Recurve. While we were waiting for that bow being installed I also had my Rytera Nemesis tweaked to 60 pounds and I had them give it a thorough inspection and tune up for the upcoming September Mule deer hunt. I wanted to make sure all was well with her. I ended up buying a Scott Quick Shot release, Neet shooting glove, E.W Bateman and co. Bowstringer for the Recurve. While all of this was going on, I was watching my son checking out a Camo Genesis. The shop owner said " Shoot it!". He showed my son the Genesis and all the good stuff like anchoring, proper stance, Etc. About 5 minutes later my Son Gabriel was flinging Easton Arrows down range. Watching the grin from ear to ear after each shot got to me. I told him to pick a color out...he picked blue. Greg the shop owner set him up with 6 Easton arrow and I also bought him an arm guard and a matching blue Quiver. it's all set up for NASP. The same stuff they use in Competition. We'll be flinging arrows tomorrow!. Now I'm getting into shooting the Recurve. My son's previous bow was a Martin tiger. Today was a great day!.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Nice!!!

Hutch:cool:

SkyChi
08-03-2011, 05:02 AM
That is outstanding. Kudos to an obviously loving father and one happy, grinning kid. :D

Sharxfan
08-03-2011, 06:09 AM
Very nice. It's always nice to see a another victim I mean participant in our sport.

bfisher
08-03-2011, 06:18 AM
Everybody has to start somewhere and I took the liberty of moving this thread to this new forum quickly so it would FIRST in line.
Congrats to your son and to the proud father.

Barry

Double S
08-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Nice!!!

Hutch:cool:

That is outstanding. Kudos to an obviously loving father and one happy, grinning kid. :D

Very nice. It's always nice to see a another victim I mean participant in our sport.
Thanks Hutch, SkyChi. The first bow I bought him was a little Martin Tiger. This Genesis would be his first "real" bow. It's a great little bow, that's why they use it for NASP. I've been using it to help with my form and shooting fingers. We're trying to get the wife into it. But she has her Purse addiction. lol

Everybody has to start somewhere and I took the liberty of moving this thread to this new forum quickly so it would FIRST in line.
Congrats to your son and to the proud father.

Barry
Thanks Barry!.

Ehunter
08-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Very touching. It's a great thing when father and son can share interests. Looks like you are both well on your way to becoming hunting buddies.

Double S
08-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Very touching. It's a great thing when father and son can share interests. Looks like you are both well on your way to becoming hunting buddies.

Thanks Ehunter. He wants to hunt already with a bow but he can't pull the required 40 pounds. He's gone out with me so I could teach him how to Spot and Stalk hunt. He has helped me gut deer out since he was 8 years old. during one of my hunts my back gave out trying to put the deer on the hoist. ( I'm Partially Disabled). I had overdone it. My son was right there to help me out. I made an incision in the skin and showed him how to part the Skin from the Stomach pouch..to gut the deer. I handed him the knife and away he went. He didn't even make a facial expression when the gasses escaped the cavity. He even pulled the guts out and I guided him on how to trim the Guts away from the lining. I did cut the rear end out and tied it off for him prior to gutting. He did most of it and it was a clean gut out. I was crawling on the cement from back spasms, But I was sure proud of him. We needed to get it gutted because it was around 80 degree's and we didn't have a walk in freezer.

Simple Life
08-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Nice to see children interested in something other than video games.Very happy boy there DS.Thanks for sharing.

SL

boobowbender
08-03-2011, 04:41 PM
awesome first bow, excited to buy a genisis for my boy someday. they have come a long ways

peace
08-03-2011, 04:53 PM
The gleam in his eyes says it all. There is no greater satisfaction in life than being a father. Helping your children to develop character and integrity while being all that God has purposed them to be is one of the great joys of life. My youngest son just got married and has left home at age 29. I am so proud of all of my children. And now its the grands.

The worse travesty today is so many young men are coming of age without the guidance and mentoring of a father and thus they have no idea of what it means to be a man. To build a man is a great accomplishment. Kudos...

Skbengal
03-04-2012, 12:38 AM
So Simon, now that you're getting into the kinda shape that you can keep up to Gabriel, how's he doing with his genesis? Is he out shooting his Dad yet? Won't be long and you won't be able to keep him at home while you're hunting! You must be looking forward to the time when you guys get to hunt together.

motohead1967
03-04-2012, 06:06 AM
nice bow My 6 year old wants a bow. I been wating to find something he can shot and that looks like it. I will have the hole family shooting soon.

jnordwell
03-04-2012, 08:08 AM
awesome way to go dad!!!!! I bought both my son and daughter the genisis bows. pink one for my 8 yr old and camo for my 5 yr old. they are backed down to 14 lbs.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2681892654693

frist time shooting. he cant wait until he is old enuff to hunt.

deerchser
03-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Great job dad. Those are sweet boys for the youngens. They do make 2 versions of that bow for those that dont know. The Genisis and the Genisis Pro. The G-pro goes up to 40 #'s and the standard goes up to 25#'s I believe. Sorry if I have my numbers confussed.

deerchser
03-04-2012, 12:31 PM
awesome way to go dad!!!!! I bought both my son and daughter the genisis bows. pink one for my 8 yr old and camo for my 5 yr old. they are backed down to 14 lbs.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2681892654693

frist time shooting. he cant wait until he is old enuff to hunt.

They are old enough, quiet enough, probably not. Get a ground blind and go sit in the woods. Give them a cheap camera that is quiet and has no flash and let them "hunt". I did that with my son when he was 7. It worked out great.

jnordwell
03-04-2012, 03:18 PM
I took my daughter a few yrs ago for elk hunting she had fun and we walked alot on logging roads. heard some cow elk mews and she had fun until the walk back to the truck

deerchser
03-04-2012, 05:36 PM
The gleam in his eyes says it all. There is no greater satisfaction in life than being a father. Helping your children to develop character and integrity while being all that God has purposed them to be is one of the great joys of life. My youngest son just got married and has left home at age 29. I am so proud of all of my children. And now its the grands.

The worse travesty today is so many young men are coming of age without the guidance and mentoring of a father and thus they have no idea of what it means to be a man. To build a man is a great accomplishment. Kudos...

I dont know how I missed this post.

Thanks for putting my thought into words.