PDA

View Full Version : The bible ranch learns to shoot

shaverd
08-03-2011, 07:54 AM
I had a neat experience yesterday while shooting my bow.

I was out shooting yesterday when about 10 kids and 2 adults rode up on bicycles. They were kids from the local bible ranch going for a ride. One of the boys asked me if he could shoot my bow. Well no one is going to shoot my Martin Hi-Speed. I told him he could not shoot that bow but if they would wait just a second I would get a bow he could shoot.

I puled out two 30# Peterson long bows with wooden arrows that I made. I showed the boy how to shoot and before I knew it I had 12 people lined up ready to shoot. The littlest girl there, about 14 years old, was by far the best shot. She had never even seen a real bow before and yet she was the best, a natural. She killed my 3-D deer on every shot from about 15 or 20 yards away.

We shot for about an hour and then they left. All of the kids were from a little town in Kansas. Some of the kids were talking about how they were going to get a bow and start shooting, if their parents would allow it. It was fun showing them the propper eticut and saftey of shooting. I would like to think that maybe I have introduced a new person to the wonderful life of shooting archery.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for sharing sharing such a great story. Sharing such a wonderful sport is a great thing. Thanks for contributing.

Hutch:cool:

Double S
08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
That's how it starts right there!. The bow bug was released!. Congrats on getting the word out about our great Sport.

Simon

peace
08-03-2011, 04:39 PM
That was an ultimate blessing. I can remember as if it was yesterday being bitten by the bug at a YMCA day camp the very first time I shot a bow and arrow, I was maybe 7 years old. That was almost 52 years ago, by 5 years later I had bought two bows with money I earned from a paper route. I bought one for me and one for my friend to use. Slinging arrows is addictive.

I just got to add, Shaverd that was a real good feel good moment reading your story. Those are the times when we can share something good that makes life and all its hardships so very worthwhile. Can't help it I am having a real mushy moment. Thanks so much for sharing.

HawgEnvy
08-04-2011, 08:40 PM
thats awesome! sounds like more than one future addict in the making. good job

cjchasman
08-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Very Nice! Brought a smile to my face. Good job.