PDA

View Full Version : my trg

Bromz
08-04-2011, 06:15 AM
Bought new exile and read everything bad about the trg and bought it anyway. After about 40 shot i have definate wear on my string. Will martin replace my trg with a cable slide? I e mailed them 2 days ago and still no reply? going to a pro shop tonite, should i just have it replaced?I double checked all the adjustments and everything seems to be in order. I think the product just puts to much side tension on the cables:confused:

Sharxfan
08-04-2011, 06:38 AM
You should call them. I called them on Monday as I am starting to see a little wear so I asked and they are sending me a rod and slide as well as the STS string stop.

I hae at least a few hundred through mine so maybe you should also check that it is adjusted correctly. Make sure that at full draw the string is not hitting the front side catch and that the same is not happening at rest. I am also thinking about messing with the length of the TRG rod to see if I can reduce the amount of pressure that the string is placing on the TRG.

Ford
08-04-2011, 08:28 AM
I would stop shooting it and have them send you a cable slide. The more you shoot, the more your cable will wear out. Then you will be down a few weeks for new strings and everything to be installed. If you want another exile I have one with the conversion all done and new strings sitting at home. Take my advice dont make the same mistakes I did.

Simple Life
08-04-2011, 10:59 AM
IMO replace it,have your shop call Martin and order the parts,thats what they will most likely do if you contact Martin anyway.

Sharxfan
08-04-2011, 11:26 AM
BTW, I jsut checked the mail and I called on Monday and spoke to Joel and today I got the rod and STS in the mail. Talk about fast service i was not expecting it until next week.

kylecurtis04
08-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Has anyone besides myself not have an issue with the TRG? I have over 1000 shots through mine and it does not show any signs of wear on the strings. I keep the strings waxed extremely good with bowning wax xcelerator. That seems to work great. If there are those who have not had any problems, please speak up. I can't be the only one, lol.

pizzadave
08-04-2011, 01:36 PM
My friend's ridge hunter isn't showing MAJOR signs of stress on his string... he has probably 200 shots out of his... they look a little bit "fuzzy" but every time he shoots he waxes his strings up with reg. bohning wax...and it seems to be alright...

Sharxfan
08-04-2011, 02:04 PM
I have probably ~200 or so through mine and no signs of excessive wear on the string. The TRG has some wear spots but I am working on those. I mainly wanted to get rid of the SOS so that is why I got the rod and slide combo and also just in case it gets worse.

Simple Life
08-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Has anyone besides myself not have an issue with the TRG? I have over 1000 shots through mine and it does not show any signs of wear on the strings. I keep the strings waxed extremely good with bowning wax xcelerator. That seems to work great. If there are those who have not had any problems, please speak up. I can't be the only one, lol.

Mine has about 1200-1500 on it with a little wear,I keep it waxed good.With all the TRG troubles,just gets in your mind.I will wait till after hunting season to change it over,as I have it dialed all in and don't want to mess with it.

j-bo
08-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Did I make a mistake in buying a Martin Silencer?

Maybe I should of read more on the TRG as it seems there are a heck of a lot of complaints about it.

My bow should be here in a few days. What should I do to not have any troubles with the TRG???

What is this replacement thing they are talking about and who would do the work to replace the TRG and how does this affect the rest of the bow?

Ugghhhhhh...my 1st Martin and I'm already having second thoughts.

tomrybicki
08-05-2011, 06:33 AM
j-no,I have owned my Silencer since May. It is an extremely fast,smooth,quiet one for sure. I have 0 wear from the trg. When I first bought it,I made absolutely sure that it wasn't too far forward or back and tweaked it ever so slightly,and no problems at all. I just purchased a Firecat 360 and did the same. I've shot the two of them twice daily getting ready to hunt. Again,no problems. I am a little OCD,but I foresee many years of fun with them. You will love your Silencer. If I can be of any help,just let me know. Tom.

j-bo
08-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks Tom.

I really don't know much about the technical aspects about bows. I just take it to the shop (Cabelas) and they set it up and I shoot it. :cool:

Is there something I should be telling the Cabelas people besides what you've stated, "wasn't too far forward or too far back" ?

Did you serve that area at all?

kylecurtis04
08-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks Tom.

I really don't know much about the technical aspects about bows. I just take it to the shop (Cabelas) and they set it up and I shoot it. :cool:

Is there something I should be telling the Cabelas people besides what you've stated, "wasn't too far forward or too far back" ?

J-Bo. I have had no issues with my TRG eating at my strings I have just over 1,000 shots. I use Bowning Xcelerator wax and it works great. Just make sure you keep the cables well waxed that pass through the TRG. As far as serving, I have heard of people using old bowstring to serve the cables that pass through the TRG. I have also heard of people using Halo .014 serving and having success with it. I am not sure if the Halo will eat away at the plastic TRG or not. Maybe someone else will chime in and let us know. Also, I am not really sure why others are having unfortunate outcomes with the TRG. I dont' want to make assumptions, but I wonder if they do keep it properly waxed or not. Not trying to call anyone out, just thinking of possibilities. I have also heard that the 2nd generation of the new 2011 are better bows because the cams do not have the rough, sharp edges and the TRG has not been eating any strings. That is what I heard from AT though. Hope this helps.

Troutfisher
08-05-2011, 04:37 PM
I have a Martin Firecat 360 with trg and have had no problems after about 3000 shots .
I regulary wax the string in the trg area with xcelerator wax and just use ordinary wax on the rest of the string.
The string is not frayed but only looks a bit flat where it contacts the trg.
So don't worry be happy use xcelerator wax and enjoy your new bow.

ozbillb
08-06-2011, 03:04 AM
Very happy Silencer owner. Few hundred shots so far with zero cable wear.
I do wax the cables very regularly.

Also I was told (by someone who knows their stuff) very definitely not to serve the cables as the serving roughs up the actual trg face which will cause wear on the cable.

This link explains how to get the right 'forward/back' position for the TRG
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2586

ozbillb
08-07-2011, 01:49 AM
double post

Bromz
08-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Well i have the 2011 exile and only 40 shots. It has been adjusted twice at the local pro shop and you can notice wear after about 10 arrows. I waxed the heck out of my string in hopes that would do it but no luck. I have to quit shooting and start all over after i get a rod and cable slide to replace the TRG. I am very dissappointed in it.

Sharxfan
08-07-2011, 03:19 PM
You sure that's not just the wax?

Ehunter
08-07-2011, 03:59 PM
One thing to check on the TRG is that the side the cables ride along is very smooth. Some of them have a molding ridge that needs to be sanded down. A little 220 or finer sandpaper and that'll do the trick. Also, as mentioned before, Keep the cables well waxed where they go through the TRG. I have roughly 2000 shots on my FC400, 1500 on my Onza, and the cables are still in very good shape. I use the Bohning Xcellerator wax. I also made sure that the TRG was smooth as can be before I started shooting the bows.

droppixel
08-07-2011, 06:51 PM
One thing to check on the TRG is that the side the cables ride along is very smooth. Some of them have a molding ridge that needs to be sanded down. A little 220 or finer sandpaper and that'll do the trick. Also, as mentioned before, Keep the cables well waxed where they go through the TRG. I have roughly 2000 shots on my FC400, 1500 on my Onza, and the cables are still in very good shape. I use the Bohning Xcellerator wax. I also made sure that the TRG was smooth as can be before I started shooting the bows.

This is definitely something I am going to remember and take into consideration if/when looking at a Martin with the TRG. I am really starting to lean towards the Onza as long as I can ensure the TRG will play nice with everyone at the playground.

Sharxfan
08-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Drop, I wouldn't worry about the TRG/SOS you can change it with a simple call to Martin. Also there are a lot of members that have not had the issue. It is a sweet bow I say come over to the dark side the water is fine and the beer is cold.

ozbillb
08-08-2011, 01:51 AM
@Bromz
Compare how deep into the grooves your cables are compared with this link showing where they are meant to be.
They aren;t supposed to be hard up against the back of the TRG at rest.

j-bo
08-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Do you think Martin is going to come out with something "slicker" for the TRG?

My silencer came in and it looks great, getting it setup this weekend.

The TRG seems to just be simple plastic. You would think that maybe the Martin Tech folks would be busy trying to make the slide part out of Teflon wouldn't you? The rest of it can remain plastic. I mean, it couldn't cost much extra.

I may try putting a piece of "slick strip" on the TRG to see if it works well and eliminates any string wear that may happen as others have had happen.

Thoughts?

Bromz
08-12-2011, 06:44 AM
That picture is deceiving. I know what you are saying but i have the same piece of information you posted. My strings dont touch the front at full rest and never touch the back at full draw. Customer service is sending me a rod and slide. Im giving up on the trg.

@Bromz
Compare how deep into the grooves your cables are compared with this link showing where they are meant to be.
They aren;t supposed to be hard up against the back of the TRG at rest.

Destroyer
08-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Hopefully they will scrap it and either go back to the standard cable slide and rod or a updated ccs with a stop built in or something. :)

HawgEnvy
08-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks Tom.

do yourself a favor and find an actual pro shop. NOT Cabels,Bass Pro,Dicks,Gander Mtn,etc. you and your bow would be better off. and welcome to the forum!

gravedigger
08-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Hopefully or a updated ccs with a stop built in or something. :)

that would be great,i love the ccs

Destroyer
08-13-2011, 02:03 AM
that would be great,i love the ccs

They have a real advantage, you can serve the cable and have no wearing issues at all. A bit harder to do for the regular cable slide and rod but it has its advantages too.

bfisher
08-13-2011, 01:57 PM
I'll make a prediction her and now. The TRG, as we know it, is history. Even now bows that are advertised with the TRG are being assembled and shipped with regular rod/slides on them. There has to be a reason.

Sharxfan
08-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I heard this from Martin but they are having an issue with the manufacurers of the TRG/SOS so they have reverted back to slide and rod until such times as the difficulties have been worked out. You may take this with as large a grain of salt that you feel the need to use. I too would like a CCS for my Onza but will use the TRG until it wears out.

Destroyer
08-13-2011, 03:12 PM
until such times as the difficulties have been worked out

Imho they aren't going to work it out, the trg design is just unworkable.

j-bo
08-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Imho they aren't going to work it out, the trg design is just unworkable.

Seems that there are plenty that like the TRG and are not having issues. Why do you say it's "just unworkable"? Based on what? As innovators on a lot of the current bows lines, I'd hope to believe that Martin wouldn't throw something on a bow that was "just unworkable" and would give up. However, this may be true as not everything works as designed too.

I'm on the fence of what to do. Keep the TRG on and just see what happens, keep it and try the slick strip, or just call Martin and ask for the rod/cable.
Think maybe I should call Martin on Monday and try and get some answers straight from the horses mouth so to speak and see what their solution would be for a string stopper and/or their stance on the TRG.

I still haven't set up my silencer yet, but hunting starts in about 6 1/2 weeks and I need to start shooting!

IMO, it sounds like the TRG has merit and maybe with some type of more R&D things could work for the better.

Sharxfan
08-13-2011, 05:20 PM
I am currently using the TRG/SOS on mine and am monitoring it very closely. I also got the rod and STS from Martin just in case so I would not be down waiting for parts in case the string started to wear although I talked to Martin on a Monday and got the parts that Thursday so all I can say is damn the service is good.

I shot about another 40 arrows through the bow today and still no noticeable wear on the string.

j-bo
08-13-2011, 05:35 PM
What do you tell Martin when you call to get the cable/sts?

If you wait til you do have string wear, will Martin replace that also?

Sharxfan
08-13-2011, 08:22 PM
I just told them I noticed wear on the TRG. If I remember correctly they do not cover the string under the warranty.

Destroyer
08-14-2011, 01:05 AM
Seems that there are plenty that like the TRG and are not having issues.

Who are these ppl you are talking about?

Why do you say it's "just unworkable"? Based on what?

Based on experience and common sense. Not much different from the first cable guards on bows, cables running on the rod itself and wearing fast. Then slides were invented and fixed the issue.

Martin wouldn't throw something on a bow that was "just unworkable" and would give up.

All make mistakes, even Hoyt and PSE.

IMO, it sounds like the TRG has merit

Explain please.

Innovation usually means 'change for the sake of change', look at linux for a good example. I can't stand the wankers that scream for innovation all the time like its a benefit to anyone when all it does is cause more problems. All we need is easy to use gear that is reliable and does what is needed.

pizzadave
08-14-2011, 09:10 AM
I think they should make their own version of the torque tamer... all they need to come up with is a slide on the trg, rather than the string gliding itself..... Bowtech has a cable roller system that has a good 3/8'' of flex to it to minimize torque, while also giving the "benefits" of extreme cable tension.... good ideas, so I am sure there are many great people out there looking at this cam lean problem, and in just a couple years there will be a definite answer... just not out there yet

ozbillb
08-15-2011, 02:10 AM
ahhh sorry Bromz.
From those photo's it looked like the cables were hard up against the front but obviously not.
Best of luck with the swap to rod & slide :)

Destroyer - for what it's worth I'm one of those people who likes the TRG & has had no issues after probably 3-400 shots. (I did buy a rod and slide with the bow when I bought it just in case though :))

Bromz
08-17-2011, 07:25 AM
Got the TRG removed last night and a rod and slide put on and boy what a difference. Draw was alot smoother and shot 30+ arrows so almost doubled my arrows shot with this bow and guess what? No wear at all on the string! The TRG is a good idea but needs to be scrapped until they tweak it. Put a front mount limbsaver string stop on this bow and boy is it shooting daggers. Thanks everyonefor your input.:D

Bromz
08-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Yeah. I have the standard rod and clearence is perfect for my fletchings. I think it is a good move for anyone having any kind of problems with the TRG